3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your farthest shot at game? Penetration?  (Read 818 times)

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your farthest shot at game? Penetration?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
My longest would be the shot that hooked me on trad. We were in Australia and I got the chance to shoot my buddies Black Widow a bunch.

One day we were driving into a station to hunt and there was a young bull blocking the two track. My buddy handed me his BW and said why don't you move him....so i jumped out and drilled that bull dead center at about 42 yds. No penetration though- it was a rubber blunt
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 03:59:00 AM »
40 yard doe. 55# 70" hill style longbow, 760gr arrow including a Tusker concord BH. never thought about the yardage, I knew it was out there a bit, but knew I could make the wide open shot. Hit at the last rib and burried it into the off shoulder. The arrow worked its way out after 35-40 yards and the deer was down by 80 yards. blood all over the place.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Just this year.  83 step follow up shot.  Schulz built HIll Tembo 68 inch, 58#@28 inch, Dacron B50 string, spruce arrow with Ace standard head.

Arrow ranged through last rib, liver, far side lung and penetrated out under the far side leg.  You can see the angle in this pic but the head was broken off and not recovered out of the far side.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
43 yards on a whitetail with a 45# Bear Grizzly that I was probably pulling about 42#. A Razorhead tipped cedar arrow weighing about 350gr. angled into the frotn left shoulder, fully penetrating to exit the far side gut. The deer was dead within 15 yards.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
I shot a Coues deer and a mule deer buck at about 35 yards with WW heads on Easton FMJ shafts that weighed about 675 grains, shot from a 65# ACS - complete pass throughs the lungs.

Shot a Shiras Moose bull in Wyoming a few years back.  I shot him 3 times; once at about 18 yards, once at about 23, and once at about 45, with a similar bow/arrow combination as above.  All three shots went through him like he wasn't even there and sailed off into the snow.  I recovered two of them, but couldn't find the 3rd.  The bull went about 100 yards after the last shot.
Dan Brockman

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
32 yards, wild pig, complete pass through, 64# Brackenbury Quest, AD Trad arrow with 300 Xtreme 3 blade broadhead.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I shot my first elk at 35  paces. I was on the ground the elk was slightly down hill, with his head behind an aspen tree and the sun was over my shoulder, lighting his ribs up like a spot light.
I don't think I'd shoot that far again. The 525gr 2117 and Zwicky broad head barried  to the yellow feathers.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
I stalked and shot this young eland bull (close to 1000# though)at 30 meters (33 yards) arrow was close to 800 gr and tipped with a BigJim 3 monster blade. Entry in the belly, exit at the base of the neck. Bow was my RER the Vital, 66# at 31+"

I chase and shot another eland mature bull, In Botswana this summer, first arrow shot at 40 yards on a walking away animal and extreme steep quartering away angle . Arrow tipped with a wide 2 blade Magnus 1 penetrated 25" blocked in the upper rib same side through the lung (sticking in on pic) and few seconds later a second back up shot 25-30 yard on the walking bull as he turned on his wounded side with complete pass through with a big jim 3 blade.

Arrows were 660 gr 300 gr total tip and bow a Border black Douglas 61# at 31"+

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
North of Ames Iowa, along the Skunk River. I would still hunt to the end of the property, take a shot across a bog at a badger dig walk around the little bog and work my way back. One day a very large buck was standing on my badger dig, I shot him. A rather heavy longbow, a 2117 with a Wasp 3 blade,(they just came out and I got them for free).  One blade broke off at entry, one stuck to a rib and about a third of the last blade hung on and went through the heart. The arrow fell out the far side when the buck made two leaps and went down. Approximately 72 yards, at least that is how many captain may I style giant steps it took to cross the muddy little bog. The buck dressed out to 242 pounds on the scale my neighbor had, including the heart and liver.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Great stories fellas!  

Any one else?     :campfire:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
I killed a small muley buck about 5 years ago with a 52# Red Wing Hunter.  I estimated the range at around 35 yards but went back later to measure and it was actually 41-42 yards. 600gr cedar arrow, 2 blade BH, went through the rib cage and stuck out the other side. Not a complete pass-through but almost.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
I shot a red fox at 80 yards with a 74#Silvertip,cedar arrow and Simmons Intercepter. I had a complete pass through. He was on a round hay bale. I have to admit that I missed the first 2 shots

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I killed a mole at 150 yards and the head poked out the other side.

Honest.

I was in the hay field next to the house doing some random shots into the air. When I pulled my arrow from the ground it had blood on the field tip.

My longest intentional kill was a groundhog at 39 yards. The Bodkin 3 blade and arrow went down the hole with the hog so I never got to check for full penetration.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Like somebody else put it.  Back in 1968, when I was young and didn't know anybody who had ever killed a deer with a bow, I had three deer crossing a filed above me.  They were way out there but I pulled up, took a lead and let one go.  The deer kept walking and as the arrow came down I started thinking, wow, this could be close!  Suddenly the arrow hit the deer and the broadhead came out the opposite side with immediate blood.  The deer didn't go 30 yds. before piling up.  I stepped off 73 yds. to the shot.  It's funny but even with that one figured in I've kept notes on all the deer I've ever killed and my average distance for a bowkill is 18 yds.

Offline bushwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Growing up in the Deep South provides a long season in a very target rich environment. With that being said, I have honed my skills and tested my set ups on the animal that I feel God put here for trad hunters, ole Porky. I noticed early on that out past 20 yards I almost always got pass throughs on hogs which is a tough dense animal.

Once educated on proper tuning and arrow flight, I have felt comfortable with longer shots on numerous elk, moose, caribou and other large type critters. One of my longest first shots was 35 yards on a caribou with a 58# Bushman Longbow and the arrow never slowed down. Another cool shot was a follow up shot on a moose in Ontario at 48-50 yards and never found the arrow.

Here's the skinny, out to a reasonable yardage, penetration does not suffer. As the arrow sheds velocity it continues to stabilize which increases penetration. If we could get an arrow to stabilize ten feet from the bow like it does farther out we could all shoot 40# bows and save our old shoulders!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©