3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Razor Heads Tuning Help  (Read 452 times)

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Razor Heads Tuning Help
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Any you old school guys out their have any tips to pass on for tuning bear razor heads. I have a pile of them laying around and would like to put them to use but I can't seem to get them to compile with me. Thanks in advance
Chase Brown

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Razor Heads Tuning Help
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
The old bear razor-heads that I use to use and still occasionally do use were installed on my cedar shafts with hot-melt glue.  With the glue still pliable, I would spin the broadhead on a piece of plate glass watching for any slight wobble of the shaft just behind the broadhead. If the shaft wobbled, I used a pair of slip-joint pliers to rotate the head while the glue was still pliable (sometimes I had to reheat the glue) then spin the shaft again while checking for wobble.  I repeated this process until the shaft spun perfectly true.

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I have a pile of them that are threaded they seem to me to be straight on the shaft but no consistency when set down range
Chase Brown

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Send them my way

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
sorry buddy no can do if I cant get them to tune I'll just through them in my vintage broadhead collection
Chase Brown

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I know someone on here still hunts with razor heads that have threads or have had thread adapter installed in them.
Chase Brown

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
Try shooting them cock feather in.....see what happens.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Mount them so that the blades are horizontal AND spin true. That way they won't act like a rudder on the front of the arrow as the arrow goes through its initial paradox. Then if they don't shoot well you will know that the problem is your shaft spine and not the head.

A small o-ring will make it possible to screw the broadhead in or out bit so that you can get it horizontal. Of course the horizontal mount is easier to do with hot melt glue, but if your adapters are set in epoxy the o ring works OK.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
I agree, apply hot melt on wood shaft taper, heat head a little (Warm to hot), put head on with pliers, turn a full turn to spread glue and align by sight or roll across a flat cutting board (12" wide) and watch for wobble.

Hint:  some heads have a point the may not align perfectly with the ferrule, touch it up with a file. You can also push the head into a board and hold until the glue sets. You might use a damp towel to cool head and get glue to setup.  Clean out slot for insert. Since inserts are hard to find, I don't practice with them installed. Sharpen with a file, or wheel sharpener (Rada).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I just love those heads and they seem to fly great for me. Make sure your arrows are tuned to the bow any discrepancy there will show up with a broadhead on the end.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
K thanks guys I'm getting on this as soon as I pick some o rings up tomorrow. Thanks again guys
Chase Brown

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I just get within fifteen yards, they seem to fly though the animal just fine.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I've hunted them a lot and found them to be one of the easier broadheads to tune out of my rigs. As stated above, when you glue them up with adapters make sure they are spinning true and adjust as needed prior to whatever glue you're using sets up. Did you glue the adapters in yourself or did you pick them up with adapters already glued in them? Do you know if they all have the same adapters in them, long or short? I've always used the short adapters and have always shot them without bleeders. Just threw 6 of them on my scale and they weighed up anywhere between 140 and 145 gr with the adapters glued in. Great heads, easy to sharpen with nothing but a file and penetrate deep. Put down many critters with them over the years.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shoot4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
On the Bear Razorhead, the factory used epoxy to install the inserts and it is not uncommon for these to be mounted crooked. You'll need to heat the head up (I use a propane torch) until the epoxy softens enough to remove the insert from the ferrule. This is a stinky job!  
Also, it is not uncommon for the indentions in the ferrule for the bleeder blade (at the back of the head) to be inset a little too deep. When this is the case, it is nearly impossible to get an insert glued in properly so that the arrow will spin true.
I bought a ream (5° taper) and only have to make a few turns in the ferrule, by hand, in order to knock the high spots off of the indentions.
After a "dry run" to make sure the head spins true, I then use hot melt glue to install the insert permanently.
Once straight, I have never had any flight problems (no matter the blade alignment, horizontal, vertical or even caddy whompus).

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
I'd suspect a spine issue. I've never had a problem getting Razorheads to fly cleanly once I get them spinning true.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I use them, they're great as stated above. I have used them horizontal, vertical, and everything in between, I have never checked their straightness, if the arrow is tuned you shouldn't have any problem, check your arrows.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by knobby:
I'd suspect a spine issue. I've never had a problem getting Razorheads to fly cleanly once I get them spinning true.
I agree.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Never had a problem with them,did you spin test them on the shafts to see if they are in alignment,are you using them on wooden shafts if so you may need to retaper the arrows but what ever arrows you are using spin test them to see about alignment.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I would also suspect a spine issue. Razorheads are the easiest broadhead I've ever found to tune. I'd suggest bare-shafting whatever arrow you are going to use to make sure they are flying well with a 125 - 145gr field point, fletch one up, add broadhead , and see how it flies.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline superrman77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Could be as simple as adjusting the nock on your string up or down.  But only make a slight adjustment each time.  I am shooting them out of my 45# Super Grizzly on 1916's and they fly awesome.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©