3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So Kentucky?  (Read 567 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
So Kentucky?
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I have family that lives in Kentucky, but never been there.  I was wondering how the hunting was and a place where I can find all the hunting regulations.  I might be going next year and always dreamed about sitting in the woods of a different state during hunting season.  I sit here and only can dream of the scenery and the experience.  I would really love to take a deer out of state even if it's a doe.  That would be a trophy of a life time to me seeing that a wife and two kids can take up the majority of opportunity, which is okay by me.  Any info of where to get information and places I might want to look into to hunt?
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So Kentucky?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Robert, what part of Ky are you planning on visiting?

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Frakes Kentucky
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Looks like on the boarder of Tennessee south east of Kentucky

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Now it looks like the wife wants to go this year

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Google ky department of fish and wildlife for license, regulations and wma's in the area. Also maybe someone here that knows the area  around where you will be visiting can give you some more information.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I have never hunted Kentucky but wanted to say I love the way you worded your original post. Every thing you said is the true essence of what hunting is all about.

Here is my advise assuming you don't have private land to hunt (all I hunt is public and in multiple states).

Google public hunting lands close to where you will be. Download the hunting regulations and license info, etc.
 Then use google earth to get a look at the land. Then use mytopo.com to view the topo maps of the area. If possible print out a map. Mark off areas where other hunters will most likely go, areas that deer won't want to go, and areas that don't offer deer anything to use.
  Then start looking at the rest to find funnels, pinch points, food, bedding, travel corridors, etc.
 When you get there head right to those good spots and verify fresh sign and start hunting when the wind works for each spot.
 Then post the details and pics of your amazing adventure here for us to enjoy as well.

If you need and more help on how to plan it just ask. I live for this style of hunting... Always a new place and a new adventure.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
Shed Hunter is right on!  fw.ky.gov

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Hey Tom!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Alan Hughes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
KY is great hunting!! I hunted south western KY once it was great!

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
If you have family there its most likely they could secure you a place to hunt. If not the daniel boone national forest is nearby . I live probably 30 miles or so from frakes as the crow flies. I don't have any honey holes but surely we could find you a place to hunt ! Johnny
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Lots of public land close down there.   Not great deer numbers in that part of the state, but plenty enough for some good hunting

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks all, I looked at KY website and its going to be a little less than $300 just for the license and permit for the hunting.  As it sits right now we are trying to decide if we will be going this year or the next.  I am thinking more next year so I can plan things better.  I will keep you guys updated if we decide to go this year and I will be bringing my bow and a camera.  I just want to experience the different scenery.  

My mother in-law also owns about 90 acres in Alabama, which my be something else to look into.  I have opportunity I just have to reach out and take it.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks KyBownut, I am reading more about the Daniel Boone National Forest now and the Wife's grandmother is talking with her neighbors as well.  We will see what happens.  If I make my way up their this year and your not busy I would love to learn from and experienced bow hunter from a different state.  I will let you know whats going on.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Prime elk territory in Bell County
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Public land is usually a lot tougher after modern gun season! As friend posted ky has an elk lottery drawing if you get lucky enough to get drawn it's probably one of the cheapest non resident elk hunts going. Johnny
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
I am now excited but a little nerves seeing I never been hunting out of state.  I am going to start applying for the Elk lottery as soon as it opens.  It looks like we are also going this year to go up their.  I will get to ground hunt for deer with bow in hand and at the same time try to scout Elk territory.

The excitement of fair chase after my number 1 dream animal to take (even when I was gun hunting)  Looks like it now may be possible without spending $12k.  Thank you so much for pointing that out.  If I do make my way up their this year and anyone wants to join please let me know.  Experience in this type of terrain, I have none and would love to learn.  To me it is more exciting than taking a deer.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Nervous*

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
So it looks like I will be up in KY Jan 10-18 in 2015 for my first visit.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
KY bow season till Jan 19th. Elk appl online till Apr 30th.  Enjoy your visit/hunt !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©