3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woodyweights ?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
woodyweights ?
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I'm looking to bump up my wood arrow weight.  Thought about trying some woodyweights.  Anybody use them? Opinions, Reviews?  How do they affect arrow flight?

Thanks
AJ

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: woodyweights ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I have used the aluminum adapters with good results.  It adds one inch and 50 gr.  I would do that instead of limiting my arrows to one head.
capt eddie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Not sure how woodie weights restrict you, just glue on different heads.  I tried them and felt they were quality products.  I ended up not using them for hunting but the arrows seemed to shoot well with them.
CHuckC

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
You can also bump up weight by changing what wood you use.  POC isn't as heavy as ramin, ash, hickory, or maple.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
I have used woody weights on my target and hunting arrows. I really like them to add weight and reduce the spine some. I have had better luck using epoxy glue than ferro-tite for keeping them attached.
PBS  Member

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
In the field you can change tips without fire.
capt eddie

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
I use the Woody Weights a lot---in combination with inserts, adapters, and various points to try out various point weights, and to cobble up blunts, Hex heads, Judo's to match the broad heads on which I settle.  Put together with Quick Stik.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
They work,I used them on my moose hunt.We sell quite a few of them with lots of repeat buyers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
I"ve been using them for at least 4 seasons now and would highly recommend them to anyone using wood shafts and looking to add weight to the front half of their shafts. I shoot them with my Surewood doug firs and ceders.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
They are the ticket. Experiment with taper to make sure the fit us correct. When you out the head on the woody weight make sure to heat it and turn to get even glue distribution. I've also found that you want to avoid getting glue on the tip if the woody weight. Thus will cause the head not to sit properly. Reheat,pull, twist to distribute glue as needed.

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm shooting 140 grain Grizzly heads on cedar shafts...what weight woodies would you guys recommend to get?  Test kit?

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I use them on wood as well as carbons when I need more weight...use sandpaper  to rough them up so the broadhead stays on better...heat the inside to get any oil or residue out before you put them on the ferule . I bought all the different weights and have had great success with them....they fly great when matched correctly with the spine of the arrow and the bow...I have even used them to help a bamboo  arrow fly better....needed to get more flex as the arrow was a little stiff for the bow I was using at the time....

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Woodyweights are the Best thing for tweaking your wood arrow, or adding point weight. No worries with them. VERY well made product.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
PM me your address and I will send you a couple to try that I have laying around, they are 100g.
Scott
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
They work well I use them all the time, a great way to point load and add overall mass weight to wooden arrows.  As mentioned they are also very handy for tuning.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©