3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck ever charge you while ground hunting?  (Read 707 times)

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
Buck ever charge you while ground hunting?
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
I was swapping hunting stories with a buddy of mine that is a compound shooter.  He knows I hunt with a longbow and from the ground.  He told me that he shot a nice 8 point buck from his stand last year during the rut.  He said the buck came in so hot to his grunting that he was sure if he were on the ground, he would have gotten charged.  He showed me pictures of the buck.  A nice 8 pointer indeed.  But that got me thinking, has anyone had this happen to them while ground hunting and how did you defend yourself?
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck ever charge you while ground hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I haven't had that happen...
...but..I carry a few sticks with pointy ends just in case he gets close..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
***PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING ABOUT RIFLE HUNTS***

We try very hard to keep this forum on track for its intended purpose.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Never had a buck do it but have had a number of bull elk come looking for a fight.  Shot one 7 steps and another at 8.  The one at 8 yds was coming to a cow call and looking for love.  I don't know which is worse.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
bring it
Mike

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
I was hunting with three others. We were pushing shelter belts.  I was posting at one end, standing next to a large blown down tree. There was a slight ridge a few yards away, and I was on top waiting for any deer to run by.

One minute there was nothing and the next instant a mature buck was running full bore directly at me. I had to lean backwards to avoid getting hit. I could have hit him with my bow!  So  not charging me on purpose, but it was a rush!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Ha! Mike - that is funny!  I never thought of it that way.  Ya - how about an amorous buck!  I hunt with a Big Jim Ground Hunter seat and the thought occurred to me that I could pick that thing up and keep the angry buck at bay with the foot end of that seat. But with what you mention, maybe I should just stay seated! LOL!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I didn't have him charge but I did have him one step on my foot opening day 3 years ago as I was kneeling in my ghillie. He and I both about dropped a deuce...

This year I killed a buck at 8 yards after he walking at me for 20. I really think he would have walked right over me had I not started drawing and turned him.
Mike Davenport

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
I had a spike coming flying in when I got to my tree and accidentally dropped the treestand  I was carrying and it made a ratting sound. Should of seen this spike, he was breathing hard with snot dripping from his nose, he was red hot. That's what I love about bowhunting, you never know what is going to happen.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Thanks to all for chiming in here.  In all seriousness, I think this is something the ground hunter needs to consider and have a plan of what to do in case it happens.  I heard about an incident last year at a state park in Northern Indiana where a hunter did not come home when his family was expecting him.  The conservation police went looking for him.  They found the deer first.  It had been shot and was dead, but they could not find the hunter.  They eventually found him a few hours later slumped over under a tree. He had died from a lacerated liver.  The best the CPO's could figure as to what happened is that the buck charged the hunter.  The hunter was able to get a shot off but it was not enough to stop the buck and the buck got him with his antlers.  Sad story.

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I had a big 8 charge me a couple years ago on a wheat field right at dusk. I was walking to my truck and I noticed the silhouette of a buck a hundred yards or so on the tree row line against the wheat field. I knelt down to try and break up my outline so I wouldn't spook the buck and he came right for me. I knocked an arrow just in case and the buck just kept coming towards me on a fast trot. I couldn't believe this deer was actually coming towards me, I was thinking I was going to have to shoot this thing in self defense at one point. The buck faced me at 20 yards and started to make soft grunt sounds at me. It was pretty intense for awhile but eventually the buck turned broadside and trotted off. I had to check my shorts after he left. Here is a picture of him, pretty sure he would of won the battle too.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
I've been around a lot of wild bucks, bears -black & grizzly, a few bull elk, as well as assorted other wildlife - the only time I ever even thought I was in danger was a mountain lion I called in while elk hunting.  It was stalking me and even when I waved my arms and yelled at it, it kept coming, just circling to get behind some trees.  At less than 10 yards I shot at it, but the arrow hit the shoulder and glanced off the quartering to me cat - then he ran off about 30 yards, paused to look around, and with a twitch of the tail walked off up the mountain.  

Never even crosses my mind that a deer would be dangerous, next we'll have to watch for meteors.
Dan Brockman

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
There have been some hunters killed by deer but most are from approaching a wounded animal they thought dead and getting cut or run through by feet.  We had a guy in Washington state years ago that had a deer open his leg and required over 100 stitches.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
I've had two different friends charged by wounded bucks they were tracking. One was knocked over by the charging deer while he had his head down following the trail. When he got to his feet the buck was dead a short distance away. The other friend saw the buck he was tracking coming for him and was able to jump behind a tree to avoid being gored. He was able to finish him off with another arrow.
Jack Shanks

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Just think how hunting would be if they knew that they could easily kick our butts, even the does ! I tell you it's humiliating.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I had a big buck come up behind me a few years ago. His hair all bristled up, drooling, nostrils flaring. All I could think of was, I'm about to get raped or killed by this thing. After trying to get turned around for the shot, he finally split.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
The three that did it to me ended up dead.  always associated with rattling /calling and movement.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I have had them come in real close looking for a  fight but never charged.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
If you are ground hunting in WI you have to be very careful of our aggressive bucks.  Same for da U.P. of MI.   They have been known to search out hapless bowhunters, especially those foolish enough to have doused themselves in doe in heat scent.  I have heard countless stories of big bucks sneaking up right behind bowhunters during the rut and. . .  well,  we don't talk about that, never mind.

Oh those autumn days, such a wonderful time to be afield !  So full of energy and excitement.

And some folks thought those screams were bigfoot !  ha    :scared:  

ChuckC
   :rolleyes:    :knothead:

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Just the opposite for me; either they didn't know I was there or took off when they saw me.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©