3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short or long sight windows on bows?  (Read 422 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Short or long sight windows on bows?
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Hey guys. Which one do you prefer and why? I tend to gravitate towards bows with a larger sight window. Probably one of the reasons I love Habu and Black Widow bows. Always a tinkerer, I'm getting that urge to try a new bow. I've noticed many bows have short sight windows and many companies offer both.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short or long sight windows on bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
I just look at it this way.  If one shoots with the bow canted, then a short sight window would be ok.  However, an archer shooting a bow in the straight up vertical position may prefer the longer sight window.
Lon Scott

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
I prefer a moderate to long sight window and try to shoot mostly with the bow vertical. I just don't see a downside to more visibility in the sight picture.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
I have a fairly low anchor point and shoot with a vertical bow. I can't see the target if the window is too small.
Chuck

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
This is with out a doubt an individual idea here. Your style dictates the outcome. I have not found many that I cannot shoot because of the sight window. I have a stalker with a medium sight window and it is more that sufficient. Then I have pronghorns that have nearly no sight window. With that said I do prefer the style of the stalker on recurve style risers as opposed to very short cut outs.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Only bow that I have shot that the sight window was a problem was a Black Widow KB.  I don't shoot with my bow vertical,  but I don't cant enough for that bow.  If I had a higher anchor point it probably wouldn't be an issue.  Part of the problem is not only the short sight window, but how wide the top of the riser is too.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm blessed enough to be right handed/left eye dominate, so it doesn't really matter to me.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm one of the few that likes both. I do build most of my bows with a long parallel sight window cut 3/16 past center.
God bless, Steve

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
I like longer but can shoot both
" Live long and prosper "

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
I can understand why some archers prefer a tall sight window. These guys typically have a low anchor point and shoot longer distances.

Personally i like about 2.5" of vertical, then a radius back out to full bow width, with an 1/8th - 3/16" past center...... Why?  because i use the whole site window in my view of the target much like a peep site for my aiming method. I adjust the spot i'm concentrating on up or down in the whole site window to adjust from 15 to 45 yards.

With a really tall sight window it throws off my peep site system BIG time, and i have to use a gap method.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Like Kirk said in his post, I have a very low anchor, but I am no long distance shooter! I prefer my hunting shots 15yds and under!

I prefer a longer sight window. My favorite bow that I have shot more critters with than any other (although I have a new favorite now that I plan to let catch up) has a longer sight window, and that is just what I am used to.

Bisch

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I love the Black Widow KB with short sight window   :thumbsup:   I have a high anchor and cant the bow so no worries. It affords me the option of a smaller riser/long working limb even on the shorter 54" bow. Awesome.....  :campfire:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Funny this post should come up because, I was looking at the VPA 13" ILF riser and was wondering if there would be issues with the smaller sight window. I kind of like mine middle of the road!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Might just be me but aside from the ability to have a shorter riser I don't see the advantage to a smaller sight window. I should add though that I shoot 3 under and I shoot my bows upright. I never could  cant a bow. But while shooting a bow with a small/short sight window I began to wonder if that is the reason people DO cant their bows! Again I know this is all personal preference. I'm just always interested in the "why"....always looking for the best way for me.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
I like longer, heavier risers in general, 19" at least, so I opt for more sight window.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
On a classic style longbow the short sight window does not bother me, but a recurve cut past center with a short sight window can seem to have to much riser hanging over the arrow.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
What ever the measurement is, from the corner of my mouth to the center of my eye(3 1/2''), I like the sight window measurement to be greater.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Definitely a long sight window. I shoot a Bear Ausable longbow because it has the largest window I could find. It is an awesome bow , by the way.
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
I cant my bows so the sight window itsn't a problem here,but hestetically I don't love a too long window.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
With my shooting style I have a natural cant. My entire focus is on what I want to hit so the sight window of the bow is completely out of the picture, don't see it and not looking through it.

:archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©