3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bitzenberger Jig  (Read 308 times)

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bitzenberger Jig
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Just got one from an auction I won. Never used one before ( or any other jig for that matter) and the instructions leave a bit to be desired. So do the you tubes I found on it. For instance, there are two knobs on the jig base marked L and R, then there is a witness mark on the knob and a mark that is marked as a a "C" on the jig frame. How are these to be adjsuted for a right helical using right wing feathers. Should the R be lined up with "C" or should the knob be centered as the clamp is a right helical clamp? I'm a bit confused.
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bitzenberger Jig
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Start with both of the knobs on "C". Put the feather in the clamp.  Put the shaft into the jig.  Slide the clamp and feather onto the magnet and against the shaft. You will note that neither end of the quill is resting centered on the shaft. Loosen the set screws and turn either knob until that end of the quill is centered on the shaft.  Tighten the set screw enough that the knob doesn't move on its own. Do the same thing to the other end. Take the clamp and feather off the shaft and then put it back on again.  See if the quill is still centered on the shaft.  Repeat as necessary until both ends of the quill are centered on the shaft when you put the clamp on the magnet and slide the quill against the shaft.  Then tighten both set screws.

You will have to determine where to put the feather in the clamp.  When you have that figured out, put a mark on the clamp where you want the back of the quill to go.  

Usually, you start by mounting the cock feather with the index mark up.  Don't forget to move the indexer back into that position after the last feather has been mounted, so it will be in the right position to start the next arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Try a search for the company, they may have an instruction book you can download.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
They do have downloadable instructions, but it sounds as though Riverrat43 already has them and as he said, they are not the most clearly written.

McDave's instructions were more clearly stated.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I was going to add that once you have the jig indexed as described above for a straight helical fletch, you can again loosen the set screws slightly, and with the fletch in position against the arrow shaft, rotate the dials again to offset the front or back of the shaft to get more spiral on your fletches.

I've used the same Bitzenburger for close to 40 years, they're a well made tool with a lot of adjustment to permit a lot of variations in fletching.
Dan Brockman

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
This is mine set up for left wing with Gold Tip 3555's and 5575's. I fletch with tape. Reverse the settings for right wing. Should get you close to centerline.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
Don't for get you need a LW clamp for LW and a RW clamp for RW
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
I have a short section of arrow shaft (10") covered with masking tape and a nock glued in place. Put the shaft in the jig with clamp in place. Run a pen along the base of the clamp the length of your fletch. That way you can tell how your adjustments change things.

Once you have it set the way you like, Mark the section of shaft permanently for future reference.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys. McDave, your instructions are much clearer than the factory's thanks a lot. Dog, for right wings I just make mine about the same only only with the index mark on the other side of the "C"?
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©