3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indian Archery Recurve  (Read 583 times)

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
Indian Archery Recurve
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
What do y'all know about Indian Archery recurve bows?

Are they any good?  When were they produced, what years?

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indian Archery Recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Back in the 70's when I was playing with recurves I had Bears and Pearsons, etc. but I never even had my hands on an Indian; can't help you.
SWA Spyder

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
I've seen them listed on auctions.  They look cool with the silhouette indian head striker plate.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Here's one They were fairly popular in the 70's
5 or 6 models some models were fairly good bows.Kip

I have a camo shade on it now and is in my bedroom at my camp.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I have an IA Mohawk that I used to shoot regularly. It's a 52", 55# and when I shot it regularly, I became rather accurate with it. It has now become my bowfishing rig.

Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Made in Indiana.  'Nuff said  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Kip,
That's a cool lamp!  Great idea!

RWBowman,
Nice shooting.  Was the snake on the move or stationary?  Also, was it fairly close or a few yards away?

Like I said, the striker plate is novel and cool.  I've entertained the idea of purchasing one but wanted some input on their quality.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Thanks. The snake was doing a slow head weave (side to side). Luckiest twelve yard shot I'll ever make.  :)

I see Indian Archery bows for sale all of the time and often entertain the idea of maybe picking up another. The one I have is rather plain, but for me, that kind of adds to the ideology of that which is traditional archery. I like the simple, plain looks of some bows.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Made in Evansville, Indiana I believe.  Company sold off long time ago.

They are nice but never considered high end bows.

I learned about them in the Vintage Bows books by Rick Rappe.  Good info about Indian Archery in there.  Give him a call and he will tell you all you want to know.

This is his website, great guy!   http://classicbows.net/index.html

If you are looking for a vintage bow TradBow is good place to look and E-ay of course.  You will find Indians there on the auction site for sure and they should not be to expensive.

If looking for a shooter consider a vintage Bear, Damon Howatt, Browning or Groves.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a Deerslayer IA. My buddy picked it up for me when he was working in Michigan for 25 bucks. It's a pretty good shooting old bow. The grip is a little bulky for my liking. I plan to do a refinish on it sometime this winter when I'm cooped up inside.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
The Indian Archery Deerslayer was my first laminated bow. I bought it back in 1969. It was a lot cheaper than the Bear Kodiak or Grizzly, but still cost about $30.00, which was a weeks pay for me at the time.
It was well made, and shot just fine. I sold that bow, but still have a 50# that my wife bought at a yard sale.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
I had one when I was a boy. It was my constant companion for years. I remember a man that was at my grandfathers house he shot my bow and I was amazed at how well he could shoot it.  Wish I had it back. Often thought about picking one up just for the memories.  I don't remember what model mine was but it was rather plain and if I remember correctly it was 35 lbs at 28.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
My first bow was an Indian. They were good bows in the 60's and sold fairly cheap. Watch for delams at the fades if you go to buy one. I have had that problem with a couple I had in my collection.

Btw, Indian never went out of business. They went to just making bow kits for kids ,over seas mainly, for a while plus all the other sports stuff they still made. They then changed their name to Escalade Sports . They now own bear archery.
Gary

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 02:30:00 AM »
My wife and I donated an Indian Hunter to Southern Traditional for one of their charity events.  It was 52 inches, 55 lbs., and shot very well.
Murray Seratt

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
I bought one of their recurves as a kid back in about 1969. 35#, orange glass w/ a maple riser. It was my first store bought bow. I wish I still had it but lost track of it many years ago.

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Btw I still have that first indian of mine, and it still shoots like a champ.
Gary

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
You Go John!! I have one myself!! Indiana Indian Shoots like a Dream, and has for Many Years!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
It seems that the consensus is Indian Archery bows are an all around good bow.  

I posed the initial question because I like their look.  I shot one a couple of years ago and it didn't seem very fast but fast ain't everything.

Thanks for all the comments and remembrances.  It's the history that places things into perspective.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
I did odd jobs and delivered papers and saved all my money and ordered an Indian Deerslayer from a Cabela's catalog which was little more than a newspaper leaflet at the time for $32.00 , It was my constant companion growing up . Sadly even though it was a Deerslayer I wasn't for many years .
Greyfox54

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
My $3 found at a garage sale bow is an IA Cochise.  Keep it strung pretty much year round in the garage, its ready to shoot right now.  I can shoot about 9 yards in the garage with the door closed.  The bow is 40# @ 28in.  Perfect form and practice bow for  me.  Could hunt with if I wanted.  As you can see from the photos some models have some pretty nice wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©