3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dick Langer's BIG Maine Moose NEW PICS PAGE 4  (Read 1382 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Dick Langer's BIG Maine Moose NEW PICS PAGE 4
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
My story started about 33 years ago when Maine opened moose hunting after being closed for about 100 years. That's when I started putting in for the lottery. After 20 years applying I drew a bull tag in zone 2 in 2001. I was very fortunate to shoot a nice bull one hour and twenty minutes into the season. I was hooked on moose hunting. After a two year mandatory waiting period I started applying again.
Fast forward to June 2014 I get a call from my son inlaw Jon who proceeds to tell me I drew as an alternate in Maines moose lottery. I wasn't sure what that involved and had to wait the weekend out before I could call the state of Maine to get some answers,I knew I was number 4 on the list.
Monday morning 8 AM I'm on the phone with the state of Maine getting answers. I was told that alternates are called in numerical order to fill moose tags that haven't been filled by their recipients, who wouldn't respond by the dead line,health reasons I guess. I was told they would start calling on August 11, if number 1 didn't answer they would call number 2 etc. They would send me the paper work to fill out with phone numbers etc. For the next two months I was on pins and needles not knowing what I would be offered it would have to be a bull tag or I would decline it.
I've got to finish this later it's been a long day and I plan on getting up early to get on deer stand.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dick Langer's BIG Maine Moose NEW PICS PAGE 4
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
:campfire:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
:coffee:

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Cliffhanger for sure.  I'm in and waiting.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Great story so far Dick.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Oh Boy!!!

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Well worth the wait! Dick has a HUGE story to tell!  :)

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
I'd like to thank Tarponnut  for posting the picture of my moose for I'm an analog guy in a digital world and need all the help I can get.  
        Needless to say August 11th I had my cell phone in hand not wanting to miss the call. About 11:30 am Maine calls to offer a cow tag in zone 1 , I ask if that's all they had, the lady on the other end says we have a tag in October in a southern zone, anything else,well we have a bull tag in zone 5 for September, I'll take it !!!
        Now the planing begins. Zone 5 is about 500 miles from my house in CT so preseason scouting would be tough so I decide to go with a guide. Prior to August I made some calls to guides in the northern zones to see who was not booked up. Dick Cullins owner of Blackwater Outfitters said he was booked but could help me for two days,that worked for me, (room and board) and a couple days to be shone the area.
         Opening day was September 22 ,weather forecast was 70 degrees rain and windy, not what I would call rutting conditions.We drove to a remote bog to make some calls and to see what sign there was. No luck calling. I told Dick Cullins that I wanted to canoe into the bog that evening, he had never been in there. Because of the warm weather and rain he drove around to show me the area and to check for sign. We saw one cow but there was no  bull trailing her.
          The canoe trip that evening would be on the Little Machias River south branch into a huge bog. All through the middle of the day I practiced shooting from my knees in case I had to shoot from the canoe.
           Finally it was time to head out the pickup was loaded with a canoe and kayak for there was four of us going out .The guide my son Tom and my son inlaw Jon as a backup cameraman in the kayak. Up stream with a strong wind blowing in our faces with high banks in some places with willow and elder bushes and swamp grass you couldn't see over anticipation was running high,two paddle strokes pushed back to equal one. I wasn't sure I could see a moose much less have a shot. There was a beaver dam about five tall we had to portage around. As we came around one of the many s turns a small bull comes from our right side and crosses stream to left, a little father along and another small bull does the same thing now I'm getting really excited. The guide is periodically making cow calls, at about 3/4 miles up stream a bull answer his call, even I hear it with my deaf ears he's right there. Beach the canoe I whisper I step out and he's right there about 30 yds out facing me showing whose boss on the willows burping the whole time. Tom stands up in the canoe to film , the guide with two shoulder blades sitting in the canoe swaying side to side burping back at the moose,intense to say the least, Jon sitting in the kayak filming with a backup camera. Come on bull step away from bushes and turn broad side so I can shoot , wind don't change directions, this I'm saying to myself along with follow through with your shot . These are the moments we wait fore as traditional hunters . Finally the the bull steps forward and turns broadside about 25 yds out, from there on everything goes into slow motion and I see the fletching go where I was looking, thank god. The bull takes off the guide cow calls he stops turns 180 degrees comes back and disappears. The guide jumps into kayak and says he's going to get help and a bigger canoe.this was around 4:30 , Tom,Jon and I track the moose take the hero pictures and wait for the guide to return. He arrives after dark to cut up the moose and we get back to camp about 1:00 am.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Congrats Dick. That is one very nice Maine Moose. Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Good story Dick, I don't see any pictures though.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Fantastic!!! Hoping to do the same some day.  Congrats!! I will check back for the pictures.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys ,Jim said he would post some pictures fore me.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
nice story , congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter