3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Hunting Newbie Questions.  (Read 300 times)

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Hunting Newbie Questions.
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Being from the Souteast ground huntig is not something we do much. "The higher the Better", thats our moto. This year I have a new lease and have a spot I just didn't want to lug stands up to. But with lots of deer sign in this area I though it may be a good time to hit the ground. I read all I could find and got a good gillie suite. and hit the ground. I now know how it would feel going to Church in my underwear. Man the first few times I felt exposed. But once I go past that i realized I was in need of a good seat. The five gallon bucket with the padded lid just wasn't going to cut it. I tried the nifty-seat and while I like it for short sets. For long sets some bodyparts go to sleep that you don't want going to sleep. I tried the 16'' blind chair and it works ok, but is a little loud. It's shapped like the huntsmore chair.

My questions is how do you stay comfortable on the ground to keep from moving around a lot. I've had a lumbar fusion a few years ago so it's hard for me to set for long periods of time unless I have good low back support. After about two hours I have to stand up for a while. What I've been doing is getting as close to the tree just like I would from a tree stand. Then when I set back down I move very slow. Any tips you could provide would be great.      :help:

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Hunting Newbie Questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Just brush yourself in better. If you have to move at least it wont be so visible. Just slowly look around first, then slowly move what/how you have to move. Anything that you can sit in front of to break up your outline, such as a deadfall or large tree base, will limit (not eliminate) anythings ability to notice unless directly staring at you. The more you do it the better youll get. Good luck and have fun, I hunt in Georgia and prefer the ground by far!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
I haven't tried one myself, but tons of guys use a torges seat. Do a search on here or google and they're pretty simple to build yourself. You can make a folding one so it packs in nice and easy, and put whatever kind of padding you'd like on it to keep you comfy.

It's been on my list of things to make for a while now because it really looks convenient.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Steelman, I started hunting from the ground this year due to not wanting to lug a climber back in the woods over a mile.  By the time I got there I was drenched in sweat.  I purchased a Hammock Seat  http://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/.   It's great once you get use to setting it up.  I carry it on my pack or if I am going real light tie a string on each end and throw it on my back.  Really light and small and compact.  I know the camping hammocks people use for camping with bad backs, maybe the seat will be just as good for that.  At $55 it's well worth it to me.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
I have also had back fusion in my lumbar region, and it changed my ability to sit low. The lower the better in my opinion. Anyway, this year I tried my friend"s new turkey recliner from that big sporting good store. It is awesome once you practice shooting from it a bit. gets you low, and comfy. I almost fell asleep. PM if you want a link to the item. I don't want to post non-sponsor stuff.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
The Torges seat is pretty comfortable and allows you to sit upright against a tree(proper posture).

I wrap the seat and one of those round foam heat-a-seat things with the rope (side-to side, not like in the pics). Slip the tag end trough the loops around the wraps and strap it to my backpack.

I made mine with 1/2" plywood and some old wader neoprene glued on with outdoor adhesive (wrapped over the front and back).

1" stainless hex-screws for added grip on the tree.

Sealed the edges with Titebond 3 wood glue, then a quick spray paint camo on the bottom.

You could probably wrap up one of those lumbar support mesh things as well.

I made an extra for my father-in-law...and he repeatedly says to me "Have I told you that that seat is the cat's meow?" or the like.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by freedomhunter:
Steelman, I started hunting from the ground this year due to not wanting to lug a climber back in the woods over a mile.  By the time I got there I was drenched in sweat.  I purchased a Hammock Seat   http://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/.    It's great once you get use to setting it up.  I carry it on my pack or if I am going real light tie a string on each end and throw it on my back.  Really light and small and compact.  I know the camping hammocks people use for camping with bad backs, maybe the seat will be just as good for that.  At $55 it's well worth it to me.
That Hammock looks interesting. I may have to check one out.

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by mlsthmpsn:
The Torges seat is pretty comfortable and allows you to sit upright against a tree(proper posture).

I wrap the seat and one of those round foam heat-a-seat things with the rope (side-to side, not like in the pics). Slip the tag end trough the loops around the wraps and strap it to my backpack.

I made mine with 1/2" plywood and some old wader neoprene glued on with outdoor adhesive (wrapped over the front and back).

1" stainless hex-screws for added grip on the tree.

Sealed the edges with Titebond 3 wood glue, then a quick spray paint camo on the bottom.

You could probably wrap up one of those lumbar support mesh things as well.

I made an extra for my father-in-law...and he repeatedly says to me "Have I told you that that seat is the cat's meow?" or the like.
I haven't tried the torges seat becaust it just didn't looke comfortable. I'll make one up and give it a try.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
I bought a Millennium G100 blind chair this year and love it. If you have back problems, as I do, the chair is worth the price.

It's light weight, sets up super fast, has adjustable legs for uneven terrain, has lumbar support, is very comfortable, and also swivels.

It comes with one shoulder strap and weighs 7#s. I removed the strap and attached the chair to a military molle pack frame with the padded shoulder straps and hip belt. It carries like a dream with this method. I attached the chair to the frame with four zip ties.

This is the most comfort I've ever experienced while sitting in the woods.

N/A

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by foxbo:
I bought a Millennium G100 blind chair this year and love it. If you have back problems, as I do, the chair is worth the price.

It's light weight, sets up super fast, has adjustable legs for uneven terrain, has lumbar support, is very comfortable, and also swivels.

It comes with one shoulder strap and weighs 7#s. I removed the strap and attached the chair to a military molle pack frame with the padded shoulder straps and hip belt. It carries like a dream with this method. I attached the chair to the frame with four zip ties.

This is the most comfort I've ever experienced while sitting in the woods.

Thanks Foxbo.I'll keep this one on the list. Like the Huntsmore it not cheap but may be worth the price if it keeps me on the stand longer. Anyone know whats up with Huntsmore? They have no chairs instock on their web site and I noticed they have the business up for sell.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steelman:
I haven't tried the torges seat becaust it just didn't looke comfortable. I'll make one up and give it a try.
The torges seat is really adjustable for getting a comfortable position. You can raise and lower it on the tree and you can change the angle the seat is at both front to back and side to side.

Mine is 12" X 15-16". The extra length gets your butt on more surface area which decreases pressure all around.

One thing I like also is to have a small log (maybe 2-3" dia)  in front of me on the ground, this I rest my toes/ball of feet on with heels on the ground. Seems to get my ankles and legs in better position and my feet aaren't so restless.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Deleted double post
MT

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
You must accept that you will move. The key is to avoid metallic or un-natural sounds and move slowly and purposfully. If at all possible, have limbs / cover over your head so you are in shadow.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
For close on the ground situations, it is important to be able to sit very still when a deer is checking you out. It is also important to be able to silently adjust to the shot, nothing works for us as well as the Huntmor for that situation. My wife carries hers a mile in a long narrow back pack. It makes it less of an asymmetrical stress on the back. Being in our 60s and both with back problems, I have noticed that the walk out to where we hunt easier with things like Nifty seats than the Huntmor, but the walk back to the car easier after sitting in the Huntmor.  The problem around here for the Torges seat or the Gorilla strap on seat is that the right tree is quite often in the wrong spot. Being able to use available natural cover is a huge plus, chairs that do not need to be attached to a tree gives us many more choices.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
ground hunting can be rewarding.
You are limited at time as seeing whats coming in.
But thats part of the excitment
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©