3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow tuning problem  (Read 241 times)

Offline Dan Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow tuning problem
« on: December 04, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
I've encountered a never before experienced problem with my current longbow - the back end of the arrows are striking the lower front edge of the leather arrow plate about a third of the way across the shelf. A spot along the edge of the leather shows visible signs of wear, and every once in awhile a shot is accompanied by a clicking sound that I think must be the plastic arrow nock hitting the bow at that spot.  My diagnosis is nocking point height, but my arrows don't porpoise up and down and they enter the target straight.  I've tried moderately raising and lowering the nocking point but it doesn't seem to matter.  I'd be thankful for any thoughts on what the problem might be or even how to go further in troubleshooting this problem.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow tuning problem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
if you shoot split you have to be careful about putting to much down pressure on the arrow with your index finger which could possibly be the problem

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
What sleepy says is correct, however, I still think it's a nock point issue and/or perhaps brace height.  If your brace height is real low, and you have a low nock point, the arrow will hit the shelf before it clears the bow.  Of course, the arrow can still hit the shelf with a higher brace if the nock point is too low.  

How do you have your nock set now. If you're shooting5/16 diameter arrows, I recommend you start with a nock point 7/16 to 5/8 above square ( and nock under). Go up another 1/16 if you're shooting 11/32 woodies.

Good idea to also use two nock points, one above and one below the arrow, so the arrow doesn't slip down at release.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
I noticed some wear on my Hill with a leather rest on the front edge I thought was odd.Turned out for me it was the way I nock my arrows.I would take the arrow and hook the arrow with my index finger then grab the nock end and slide it down and nock my arrow on the string.It looked like wear on the front edge of the rest,didn't have any arrow flight problems but the wear on the front edge of the rest had me wondering.Didn't notice this wear on my bows with a calf hair rest or Velcro I have on my other bows.I only noticed it on my bows with a leather rest.You said your arrows do not porpoise and hit the target straight.Does your bow have a fairly flat shelf? I like to put a piece of leather lace under my rest to make a smaller contact point.Just a thought?

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
usually a stiff spine is the problem when you hear the click.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
x2 on too stiff spine

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Dan, how bout some specs? Bow, draw weight at YOUR draw length, arrow type, spine, length and point weight. Do you shoot split or three-under and where is the nock point?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©