3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping warm below zero F  (Read 427 times)

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping warm below zero F
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
I had to cut a hunt short last week. I'm set up for 10 to 15F above zero.  The temps in the morning were 5 to 10 degrees below zero F. After one to one and a half hours in the stand I was too cold to shoot.

So I have a couple of questions.
1) When it comes to below zero F temperature what specifically do people wear to stay warm?

2) How long can you remain in a stand wearing your cold weather gear? Am I asking too much to expect to stay warm for longer than an hour and a half?
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping warm below zero F
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
At those temps, I am guessing most can't do it unless you are in a heated blind or are in some sort of heater suit.  Its just too cold, period.

CHuckC

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
I don't use a stand, but do a lot of still hunting. I use wool and layer. Merino wool base, wool socks, ll bean Maine hunting boots, wool pants, flannel shirt, down vest, asbell wool zippered jacket, various hats. I've never gotten too cold to hunt. Used that attire for all last year and year before in southern Alberta where the temps were to -35c. Oh and wool gloves, that I sewed leather to the fingertips on my shooting hand. That count?
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
At those temperatures I can last about 2 hours max.  If the wind is blowing not that long.  It gets to the point where I can't shoot accurately enough due to the cold.

I have to leave and warm up and then return.  Fortunately I normally don't have to hunt when it is that cold!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
I invested in a pair of MT150 Cabellas cold weather coveralls. $500.00. I wear first layer minus 33 tops and bottoms, second goose down 600loft pants and top, with wool sweater under goose down top. Then merino wool asat vest. I carry the coveralls in to my tree on fanny pack and dress at tree. [coveralls way to warm to walk in wearing you would sweat to death, they are that warm.] Two pair of wool socks and sorrel pac boots. Wool beanie first layer for head, then in tree double thickness head and facemask. Handwarmers for hand muffler. I have sit out four hours before in temps well below zero and stayed very comfortable. Some days I think it was too cold for the deer, ha...........  But I love late season, my favorite time to hunt big bucks when everyone else has given up, woods are quiet, and scent free and bucks are hungry and sometimes a lil careless. Good luck hope this helps, Gary.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
20-30years ago, I used to tough it out to minus twenty dressing about like bow tough does.  Don't do that anymore.  I did manage to kill a buck this year at 4 below zero, but i was lucky.  He came by before I was on stand long enough to get cold.  

I've heard good things about the Heater body suit.  If I were to plan to make a day of it in below zero weather, that's what I'd be wearing now. Anymore, though, when the temp gets below zero, especially if there's a fair to stiff breeze, I stay in.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
My son swears by his heater body suit. I'm too old to hunt in those temps--I might break I'm getting pretty brittle.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Kind of a different mind set to hunt with temps that cold.  One item that I take that I can't wear above about 10 degrees is a beaver hat.  I take it with me on the walk in and put it on once on stand - it's just too warm to walk in with.  Otherwise, wool, down and fur are the primary materials for temps below zero.  Personally I wouldn't touch any synthetics that cold except maybe a synthetic wind breaker of some sort.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I just got back from Alberta and I hunted 6 days and never got cold. Here is what worked for me on stand. Head: Beanie hat and good fleece neck gator
Upper Body: UA 4.0 base layer and Merino Wool layer
Micro fleece pull over, Cabelas Berber Fleece vest
Cabelas Berber fleece coat
Hands: to and from stand wool glove mits. Once on stand light gloves but kept hands in a handmuff warmer with hothands.
Lower Body: UA 4.0 base layer, Berber microfleece pants.
Feet: 2 pair of good wool socks and Sorel Pac boots.

Worked for all day Sit's in down to -15f. Wind we very light so that helped.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Heater body suit all the way!! And way cheaper than top of the line clothing too. Money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by trying it.
There is a slight learning curve to using it and you may get busted getting out of it, but hey, that's a fair trade off for warmth in my opinion.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
I like my Heater Body Suit, but you have to get out of it eventually. And, when you do it's cold. I seldom hunt in those temps anymore. I want my hunt to be enjoyable. I don't enjoy being that cold.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »
Heater Body Suit,PERIOD!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I did 8 1/2 hours at -37 the other day...toasty the whole time in my HBS!

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
My Fisher Mama Bear works for me. I load her up with some Wild Cherry,Ash,or Walnut and stay warm all day.

Those temps are for keeping meat frozen, not me. Good luck to you hardy souls!

Good Hunting,
                                                             Craig

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
..that's pretty cold..

If I was "planning" on hunting in that cold of temps..AND planning on sitting still..ie not stalking..

I'd get a bow I could shoot well that's pretty light in draw.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
I've been taking a small thermos of a hot beverage with me this year something I have never done before. Man it is really nice what a small cup of coffee or coco can do to warm you up and keep you on stand a little longer.

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Heater body suit...be sure to get one with wind blocker.
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
A blind with an ice shack heater works. For ground hunters, sitting in a sleeping bag over your hunting clothes will keep everything warm but the head. You just need to expose your arms and lower the sleeping bag when a deer approaches.  It helps to have good cover for this.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Not clothing but a valuable lesson I learned from mountaineering - stay well hydrated to help stay warm. Not diuretics like coffee but hot drinks - old fashioned Tang was a favorite.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
I'm with Monkeyball on this, I get close to my woodstove.  When it becomes an endurance test, hunting ceases to be fun for me, I stay indoors.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©