3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what a deal I could have had!  (Read 187 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
what a deal I could have had!
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
So I walk into a pawn shop just to take a gander. I see what looks like a 1970s grizzly up on the rack... Price tag is spinning around and I see $55 dollars on it. Ask to see it and the guy picks it up and as he's handing it to me he says "you have to be kidding me!" One of the limb tips was crushed. He starts to babble about the new guy must have dropped something on it then offers to sell it to me much cheaper as a mantle piece...after looking at it it was an old grizzly and apparently someone at the shop dropped something on it and never told anyone. Other than the damage it was in beautiful shape and looked new. It had been priced by them as if it was in working condition! If only it hadn't been damaged.... They had no idea what it was worth...
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what a deal I could have had!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
If just the limb tip overlays were damaged, it can be restored.  I would buy it if you think the limb laminations are intact.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
It was just past the limb tip and had crimped the laminate causing it to delaminate just before the tip. I was pretty bummed but I'll keep stopping in this shop in hopes of a deal. They know what to ask for a used compound but not a tradbow. They had a recurve in there with absolutely zero markings that was unlike anything I had seen before. The riser was huge on it and felt so tiny in my hands. Hard angles with large swooping recurve limbs. Guy had no idea was it was almost bought it just to have but I knew there was no way I could shoot with such a massive grip!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:13:00 AM »
Wow....a few years ago I found a '54 Kodiak II, the "Compass Kodiak" in an antique store for $20......sold it on the big auction site for $330!!!  They don't know what they have!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:41:00 AM »
Never fear that a pawn shop does not know what to sell something for...if they do not know what to sell it for they will not allow much of anything for it in the first place...I just patched up a large area on a badly delaminated bow with Loctite 420 and I have a feeling that bow would shoot a long time without any further issues...turns out the owner only wants to make a nice wallhanger out of it so we will never know...not sure how buying that Grizzly and working on repairing it would be anything other than a very inexpensive learning experience for you...I have a feeling guys like Bowdoc started out the same way...and btw I have a feeling Loctite may make a couple of products that are even better for that sort of repair, although I doubt you would ever find anything better than 420 for it intended use...their website has a great application that walks you through the intended usage of the product and I know they have some that are indicated for high flex situations

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
Maybe some bowyer epoxy would fix the problem. LS gave me some to fix a Bear Alaskan I needed to repair.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Maybe I will stop back in there and pick it up. I'm no bowyer but I dunno how I would even think of fixing it. The limb tip is almost pinched all the way through just below the limb end

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I'd buy it for the money and try to fix it. If you cant fix it then it would still make a nice piece for the man cave.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I would take a few pics and post or send to a bowyer who does repairs--- No sense spending good money on bad for a "chance" at a deal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©