3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light arrows and deer?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light arrows and deer?
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
You guys keep making the leap from deer sized game to African sized big game...BIG difference. I believe we were talking deer sized game here. Going by your requirements none of us would even be here because our ancestors weren't shooting "enough bow or enough arrow" to kill game. Our ancestors would have all starved long before we were born.My research indicated our ancestors used bows in the 45-50 pound range and arrows in the sub 500 grain area.

"There's no penalty when you err on the side of ‘too much’"

This is not entirely true.

I've got a buddy who shot an elk in the shoulder with an 82 pound compound and a 2419 arrow. Got a couple inches of penetration and the arrow broke off, un recovered elk. Now you can't tell me that 82# and a heavy arrow like a 2419 isn't enough for hunting elk.

While it's true you can't count on each shot being perfect, it's also true that you can shoot more than enough bow and more than enough arrow and still not kill the animal your after.

Maybe we should all be shooting rifles..oh wait..animals are wounded with rifles too.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Papa Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Ed, the only thing those broadheads can really tell you is that bad hits and bad shot selection results in unrecovered animals.  We don't know what bows shot those.  We don't know what archers shot them.  We don't know their bow weight or arrow weight.  We don't know if the arrow was tuned or flying near sideways.  But as you said, we do know that there weren't any deer that survived a broadhead to the heart/lungs.

Without even going into the KE vs. Momentum arguments, which have yet to be satisfactorily resolved in any hunting sport yet, there's no question that regardless of KE/ME, it MUST be delivered where it belongs in order to do any good at all.  And that's where the penalty comes in when you assume that heavier arrows will provide extra insurance.  You end up with an arrow that's harder to deliver where it's supposed to go and will only deliver "extra" penetration if the model that promotes ME over KE is actually correct.  Ultimately, what's ideal is enough/adequate KE and the good shot placement.  

The very people you quoted in your previous post were among the longest range shooters of all time and though times have changed, I still thik they would consider what they did "bowhunting" even though many today feel that any shot over 20 yards isn't what bowhunting is about.  I think the 20 yards and under line of thought came with tree stands, blinds and unprecedented numbers of deer, not just because that's what the essence of bowhunting; albeit I can understand anyone who feels that's what it is all about for themselves.

400 grains is PLENTY of arrow weight for deer, particularly when you're approaching 50 pounds or more of bow.  The archer who gears his equipment to shoot the very best for him at unmarked yardage will invariably have a higher shot to kill ratio than a hunter who goes for the most arrow weight his bow can launch when it comes to deer hunting.  The latter is so unforgiving of distance estimation that it's guaranteed to cause unexpected low and high misses.

I feel that preaching for the use of the heaviest arrows a bow can launch for hunting may have caused more wounded and unrecovered animals than anything else that has happened recently in this sport.

Using a reasonable weight is... well, reasonable.

Perhaps we just disagree on the definition of "reasonable", because a 400 grain arrow going 190 fps or better packs an incredible punch and is perfectly reasonable for deer since more often than not, you'll end up with two holes in any hapless deer that is between that arrow and the ground it will end buried in after passing through.

Those are my thoughts but I have one question remaining....

Among the bowhunters we guided in Africa (none of which can be called bad shots, in fact, most were WAY above average – at least on targets); on hunts were multiple animal taken were the norm; I can not think of A SINGLE ONE who did not make at least one poor hit ... but CAN think of a few who didn't make a single perfect hit, and some who didn't even make a single 'well-placed' hit. Virtually every ‘non-recovered’ animal was a result of poor arrow penetration.
I have to say I'm flabbergasted to hear that with all the animals you've examined, virtually all were unrecovered due to inadequate penetration meaning virtually none went unrecovered due to poor shot placement.  With all those bad shots, I'd think you'd have seen a few that didn't result in recoverable animals simply because they went into meat or bone or intestines or stomach instead of vitals.  There's a lot of area on an animal that we don't want to hit.

Show me someone that does everything they can to improve their chances of putting the arrow into the small part of an animal that you DO want to hit and I'll show you someone who will increase his shot to kill ration.

I've lost a few deer, myself and I can assure you that 100% of those losses were due to poor shot placement because they were complete passthroughs.  More penetration couldn't have helped because more penetration was impossible.  Better shooting fixed the unrecovered problem that great penetration in the wrong part of the animal caused.

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Well I guess all this could be tested. Just find 2 people that are close to equal in shooting skills. Tie up 30 live deer through the woods out to 30 yards and let one guy walk through and shoot at them with an 50# bow and a 800gr arrow. Then tie up 30 more live deer and let one guy walk through and shoot at them with a 50# bow and a 400 gr arrow. Or we could just use 3D targets which I already know a lighter arrow = more kills shots at ranges of 30 yards. Yep. My money would be on the 400gr arrow guy.

BTW!  Congrats on that deer Chad!  Was hoping to see you at the Rarden/festival shoot. It was a fun time

Offline Papa Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:

With all due respect, if someone needs to worry about arrow drop at twenty to twenty five yards, they have other problems far greater than arrow weight/bow combination.

With all due respect....   do you know an arrow traveling 160 fps drops approximately 68 inches between 0 and 30 yards?  Did you know that it drops a full 29 inches just between 0 and 20?

I know for a fact that it's vitally important to worry about arrow drop at 20 to 25 yards.  We need to be intimately familiar with our ballistics.  The difference between 20 and 25 is denough distance to miss a large buck completely if you shoot for one and it's really another and you've got an arrow velocity 160 fps.

Get the arrow speed up to 195 fps and the drop is still 20 inches, but that's a full 1/3 more forgiving of the inevitable error in judgement.

Shooting 3D for a few decades taught me things about shooting and distances that isn't easily learned any other way.

Let's think about this a minute.  The kill zone on a whitetail is 8-10 inches high and about 12 inches in width.  Width isn't the problem.  It's that up and down that causes us problems unless we just flat screw the pooch on the shot.  If it's a very large deer and you aim for dead center, you've at MOST 5 inches high or low that you can afford to miss.  One inch outside of that and you've got heartbreak instead of a filled tag.  Increasing arrow speed from 160 to 195 means if you saw/guessed/perceived the distance wrong by 5 yards, you BARELY make the kill with the 195 fps arrow.  You completely missed everything with the 160 fps arrow.  And while that complete miss might sound like an OK outcome, it's only because you missed by 5 yards in estimation instead of 3 or 4.   With 160 fps arrow travel, if you think that deer is inside your 17 yard comfort zone and it's really 20, you're going to find out what kind of blood trail you get with a shot to the brisket.

This isn't just paper theories.  This is how ballistics work in the real world.

I never could accept the notion that shot placement is so random that it's better to worry about shooting the biggest, heaviest, most awesome arrows we think we can launch.  I believe we're way better off worying about taking the right shot at the right time and putting it in the right place.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Chad posted his kill over on the site where I hang out most often, and I congratulated him, and also mentioned that the insurance most speak of when it comes to heavy arrows isn't much of a factor in my mind.

I don't know much about the heavy arrow thing actually, because I've never hunted white-tailed deer with an arrow heavier than 525 grains out of bows up to 60 lbs. Is this heavy arrow thing something new? I didn't know anybody 20 years ago that was using really, really heavy arrows.... most aluminum and cedar arrows being used were in the "normal" weight range of around 400-500 gr. with a 100-125 gr. head. Seems as though there are a lot of trad guys that shoot really heavy arrows these days. Does this mean there are more deer being killed with marginal hits today? Has a deer's anatomy changed or their hides and bones become tougher?

It seems odd to me, that even with the many confirmations of how a 40-50 lb. bow and 400-500 gr. arrow brings down deer after deer... there are still those that say it is flirting with disaster and it shows little respect of ethics in killing a deer humanely. Traditonally, there have probably been more deer killed with a recurve or longbow setup like that, than any other. It's disturbing to me that such a setup seems to be questionable within the trad bowhunting ranks today.... to the point where the "ethics police" do not approve.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
See what you went and started Chad. Bet you'll be laughing in the office tonight.    :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
How the heck did you feild drees that doe, when I have your knife?

Congrats!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
so Papa Bull,
your point is, WHAT? I have shots thousands of arrows at 20-30 yards...if anything I shot dropped five and half feet at those distances I'd give up and buy a gun.

I'm sorry, but all your statistics don't make a difference for me. Whatever my arrow drop is...and it isn't much at 20 and 25 yards...I know what that is without thinking about it..as most instinctive archers do.

Your supposition is that with a light enough arrow we can get flat arrow flight, eliminate arrow drop, and thereby kill everything we shoot at.

All you have to do to disprove that is to watch saturday outdoor channel programming - there are literally dozens of shots every day on there that are misses, bad hits where they slide the camera back to a fist-pumping hero proclaiming "yea, baby" to know that even a sighted bow shooting 300 feet per second soda straws will not guarantee results.

Not once in my post did I name a magic number- but Chad said 394 grains at 51 lb draw and I still say he could increase his arrow weight to 494 grains and not hurt a thing..and if he did hit bone it WOULD make a difference in penetration.

I stand by that.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Match the arrow to the game! 900 gr arrows and skinny single bevel broadhead are not neccesary for deer!

Some of this arrow weight stuff is going overboard.

You don't need to sacrifice trajectory to have a deadly deer set-up.

My Tapered POC are about 575 gr finished. I use 60#@31" and penetration has never been an issue.

I assume most guys POC weighs less than that and doubt they ever question their penetration either.

Tedd

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I couldn't help but laugh my way thru the last 4 pages.....Papa Bulls ideas, while I respect his right to state them, make no sense in any practical bowhunting scenarios at all. And all the "I know a guy" instances are incredibly riotus.

Ray's posts are right on and I even have to agree with Ashby's posts....

Hey Chad.....nice deer, good thread, you have us all barking!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
I'm going to chime in again, but first I'll say this.  I helped a guy get his light-weight set-up together just today.  He knows his limitations, and I believe he will stick to them.  He's shooting what he can handle now, and it's legal for deer.  We discussed the fact that he needs to wait for "the" shot, because he doesn't have a lot of room for error.

Back to the trajectory thing.  If you don't know your bow, and/or stay within you own effective range, it isn't going to matter if you are getting 350fps.  

I shot with a fellow at a tournament just this past summer.  He's one heck of a good shot--within his effective range.  He was shooting a bow that is touted for it's speed, and was shooting very light arrows on top of that--it was a smoking fast set-up.  When we got to targets that were a bit further than he was used to shooting, he shot low.  That fast arrow wasn't magic.  

If the shot isn't within your effective range, don't take it--it's that simple.  Doesn't matter if you are getting 150 fps or 350 fps.  Some people can make a 35 yard shot with a 150 fps selfbow, some can't with a 200+ fps recurve.  

I say this because I'd hate to hear about someone hitting the woods thinking their range is automatically extended because they have a fast bow, only to find out the hard way it isn't.

Chad

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Good statements Chad
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
It isn't that those shooting a little more speed feel that it extends their range.

When more speed helps is when you "see" a shot in the woods at 22 yds and it turns out to be 27.
In this case an arrow traveling 195 fps will have a much better chance of staying in the kill then one at 160 - therefore making a better hit.

Steve

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Good statement Steve

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I will say that Papa Bull's statements are NOT, well...Bull   ;)   I find that I am more accurate with a certain weight and speed arrow out of my bows. I shoot measurably better, even at 20 yards! To say that extra accuracy, ESPECIALLY at unmarked ranges doesn't mean poo to hunting is off base IMO, and I've shot a LOT of different weight arrows.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Nice deer, done with a 391?.  Do I hear 375.
  I do not believe that the motive for the light arrow is to compensate for any small errors in yardage  estimation on shots 20yds and under more like 40yds and over.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
About ten years ago I shot a real nice buck with a 57# longbow,Black Diamond Delta heads with total arrow weight of 505 gr. I hit the lower part of the shoulder blade and the arrow only got 2" of penetration. Did`nt get him. One year later I shot the same deer,same bow,same broadhead,different arrow.This arrow was a Graflex shaft,total arrow weight of 630 gr. The arrow went through both shoulder blades close to the joint and dropped him in 50 yds. I dont care what is said about speed over weight,I know you would kill deer you would`nt kill with a lighter arrow. But shoot what you want,I`ll stay with heavy.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I shot a 700lbs+ bull elk a couple weeks ago w/ a  full metal jacket axis shaft tipped w/ a 190gr ace 2 blade.Total weight was 560grs.Out of a 66lbs @ 27'' bow it passthru the shoulder blade and broke the underside rib and burried under the skin on the opposite side.The shot was at 30yrds.(if I could load the disk w/ the photos I would post them)
5 years ago I shot a large bull at 30+ yrds w/ a  vapor carbon w/ a 160gr snuffer.Total weight 390grs.Bow was 64lbs @ 27''.I centerd the rib cage and the penatration was way less than disireable.Lost at elk.
So you guys can see where I stand on arro weight issue.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Nice shot Chad! One point to ponder guys,Chad is shooting skinny carbon arrows.I don't care what you say but I have seen the difference in penetration with small diameter carbons.You might also check out Ron La Clairs web site and look at the pic of a shoulder a skinny carbon blew through.carbons don't flex as much as wood or aluminum and penetrate better.Just something else to argue about:).

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
good job on the deer Chad!   and thank you for the free entertainment this post has created. I was having a bad evening but reading this senseless bickering about what arrow weight is BEST to kill a whitetail deer has cheered me up. I think I'll just give up the bow now and buy a granade launcher just to be sure.

:biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©