3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Tricks and Tactics" for low tree stands.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
"Tricks and Tactics" for low tree stands.
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Howdy Gang!

I have been resenting tree stands for a number of years now, so I find myself on the ground much more these days.  But I also find myself setting "low" tree stands a good bit too.  Have not taken a deer yet from one of these set ups but have seen plenty.  I find I really like the "low" tree stand set ups.  By low I mean the platform is head high or less when you are standing on the ground.

One trick I have learned is to try to use the topography to my advantage.  I have had a couple stands about 3-4 feet up that would put me 10-15 feet over where I expected the deer to be.

Anybody else like to hunt this way?  I would sure like to hear your tricks and tactics for optimizing low tree stands.  A few good stories wouldn't hurt either!   :campfire:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Tricks and Tactics" for low tree stands.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
I absolutely love sitting in big cedar trees 6-8' up.  Most of them you can trim just a few limbs for the stand and shooting room. Then use the remaining limbs to climb up or add a couple tree steps.  I really like doing this if I am hunting anything that is public or walk in areas because you can just use a lightweight hang on and carry it in/out with you. Pretty good wind block too.

I have had better experience as you describe above by being 10-15' above the deer.  I hunt a lot of ridgelines with creeks/bottom areas below if I can.  The wind will swirl a lot in these areas from my experience is why I like the cedar trees.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Lots of cover with basically holes to shoot thru!

Good wind currents help too.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Plenty of growth behind as well as in front, similar to a ground blind. Movement seems to be extremely crucial. I get busted a lot due to moving too much. I have 5 stands less than 10 feet up.
Sam

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Cedar trees for me too.  If you can find a hardwood tree in the middle of a cedar cluster-sit just high enough to peek through the tops

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Some locations can handle low, others . .  no way.  

I hunt in the marsh.  Cover is thick and low.  In some spots I can be 6 feet off the ground and not be seen.  One spot, I could touch the platform from the ground, maybe 8' high, and I had a doe and button buck walk right under me.

You need to pick your spots carefully.  Hunting early season (leaves still on the trees) really helps.
ChuckC

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
I to love cedar trees. Most of the time I only need one maybe two steps. They work great to help overpower human scent too.

I have also used fresh cut cedar to make ground blinds works great.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
I had 3 brain surgerys less then a year and a half ago and promised my family I would stay closer to the ground. I never hunted very high anyway so not to much of a change, I always hunt by the wind but I do camo my stands with ceder branches more now to help with movement.

I will dig up some picks but I killed a buck in Mo.this year Stand was head high 12yd shot. Killed a Kansas buck and two does from stands no higher then 8ft all shots 10 to 15yds this season.

Never really noticed any problems hunting at the lower elevations over the years and I move around quite a bit on the stand to so I'm surprised. My biggest buck to date with bow 190 inch B/C was killed at 8ft. so I wouldn't be to afraid to try it.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I too am a big fan of low stands in more recent years. During the whitetail bootcamp sessions I run each year some guys can't believe how low some of my killer stands are. I too prefer thicker cedars/junipers but you can get away with multi-trucked hardwoods too if you detail them some. The key is good cover around you and consistent wind directions at the location. A couple more things I do, say you are expecting your shot on a pinch point at 15 yds. I'll add some brush and/or leafy branches about half way between my stand and the spot where you think the deer will be. Just make it low enough so you can be sure to shoot over top of it if needed. Doing this will draw attention away from yourself in the tree and you'll be less likely to be busted. Hard to explain but it's like being behind and shooting over a wall. They will be less likely to see where you trimmed limbs to get into your tree. And sometimes your upper torso is all that's exposed. If you feel exposed just add cut leafy branches and/or some additional cedar limbs carried into the ambush. Wearing a leafy Ghilli suit in low stands is another option. Keeping stands low you'll be less likely to be back-lighted with the distant ridgeline and/or timber behind you. I almost got a giant buck a couple weeks ago (it got dark too soon) from a stand where the foot platform wasn't 7 feet up. He was only 20 yds. away lokking and never saw me in a timed half-hour. I've killed some monster bucks over the years when I was less than 10 feet up. No problem. bw

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
I do hunt lower stands and dont feel exposed as I like to make a hidey-hole out of them. Get just high enough to be able to see real well is my goal as I use them on edges almost exclusively.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Here's my stand in Missouri at KennyM's this year were I shot my buck, stand is right in the middle of the pick on the bare tree six feet off the ground.

View from the stand once I brushed in a few branches.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Like UB I have used and love a low stand, one of my best stands was so low all I had to do is reach up and hang my bow on the platform from the string and use one tree step to climb up. I brushed it in with the branches from a fake Christmas tree and was good to go, they never turn brown and you can bend them where you want them. I had 12 shots from that stand in one year( that's another story) and never got seen. I also like it because the trees are wider down lower and hide me better.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I like to use the multi-trunked trees as well if you can find one in the area you need to be. You have to consider where your most likely shot will be and set up accordingly because one of the trunks of the multi-trunk will no doubt prevent you from shooting in all directions. Most of my stands are 10-12 ft

Rodney

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
If possible, some pinoak limbs ziptied to the stand to help block your sillouette  will help too.

Or 3 trees like the short stand on the corn if you luck out and find such!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
Multi trunk, zip tie limbs...that's how I hunt from low stands.  I sill find higher is better though in most cases. I'd like to be lower, but in Michigan, about 20 feet gets you in the zone. Lower and the old does just love finding you.  Illinois and indiana, I've gotten away with 12 foot.  A whole different game.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
I hunt like that a good bit. I try to get in a cluster of trees or get where there is something knarly behind me. I have had pretty good luck hunting low. And trying to let the animal get into or by me before I move. I also set up sometimes so face away from the direction I expect animals to come from n hide behind the tree. Works for me. Plus I feel safer.
Low for me is 8-12ft.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Wear gloves and a face mask.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
My son and I have used the "1 stick" method of setting stands for years now and have had great luck.  Multi-tree groupings is our best bet and the trees can be small in diameter.  We've taken 4 this year in stands we can touch from the ground.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I love multi trunk trees.  I set my stand in the middle.  It is amazing how much you can hide without much movement.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Frank what do you mean by the one stick method?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©