3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quivers and hunting in the east  (Read 987 times)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Back quivers and hunting in the east
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
It's nice to hunt with a back quiver when hunting deer but try  to drawer a arrow out  when  you got a buck or doe. About to be shot .  Gone !   So why. Carry so many arrows ?   Hip or a bow quiver carrying 4or so arrows will do .
Dan Breen

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quivers and hunting in the east
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Back quivers are growing on me. I find them incredibly simple to move through woods and brush with. In the thickest stuff I just rotate it horizontaly under my left arm. If I am in a brush blind (or stand for that matter if I used them) it is just next to me, as convient as anything else as far as movement. As to why so many arrows, deer are fun to hunt, as are squirrels, pigs, coyotes, and stumps. And they are all open at the same time. I wouldn't bust a deer hunt on a squirrel, but anything else and I'm after it. Just yesterday I came into a sounder of pigs. Manged 3 shots with a backquiver. But... Like everything they are subjective prefrences for some people and not others, for sometimes and not always. Its as  long a rabbit hole as "which type of arrow" or "which type of bow", there will always be someone who loves one over another. Just my opinion.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
If a back quiver doesn't work for you , use something different. Some of us use them and like them . Even with their drawbacks. To each his own.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
for some, its a feeling.  and. .  why are you waiting till then to draw an arrow out ?
ChuckC

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
I assumed it was implied you meant a follow up shot? My primary arrow rides in a single 2 blade broad head hood tied to my upper limb.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Dan...you have a PM.

ChuckC.....   :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Love my Hill style bows and back quivers in the woods!!!

Never cost me any animals and why would they    :dunno:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Awesome pic.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I found them not to work for me from a stand. Ground hunting or spot & stalk like out west, I could see it.
SWA Spyder

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Though not enough times, I've been out west,,wouldn't work for me out there either. They just look so cool though, I got one when I got the chance to get something I considered to have a high cool factor, it's a Fisher, paws legs and all. Only problem is, it has to be really cold for me to use it or my back starts to sweat, so I haven't had the chance to use it that much.

I hunt with a Safari tough side quiver and , you can really get through the thick stuff with it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
My backquiver is with me 90% of the time when bowhunting whitetails or in the prairie.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Like I said Joe, very high cool factor !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
you live in a land where the squirrels runs cared of their shadow...turkeys wont gobble for fear of death from something and deer are no different, lol.

I wouldn't use a back quiver I'd opt for a side quiver if you don't want a bow quiver.  

I like back quivers and own 2, wear one regularly, it has its place, imho where the animals run scared like they do on the east coast is not the place!

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Ha ha......these threads get me.

Here is the number one reason a lot of people do not like backquivers:

They take effort, training, practice, and need to be well designed and broken in.  Like all things traditional once you accomplish all that the benefits are many and the drawbacks become inconsequential.

First read this and get set up properly:

http://traditionalknowhow.blogspot.com/

There was a reason Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, Bob Swineheart, and MANY others decided to stick with the back quiver despite the availability of the bow quiver and others.

Carrying many arrows has its advantages.  I carry at least a dozen and half are blunts.  Many times I have used all 6 on squirrel and wanted more!  

Speed is an advantage.  That follow up shot magically appears on your string without looking.  Sometimes things happen and a fast second shot is useful.

Stealth - If set up right and on the back of someone proficient one can crawl and sneak through thick brush easier than with a bow quiver catching stuff.  

Flagging game---never been an issue for me as I usually have an arrow on the string and the follow up is so fast and smooth there is no problem.  My fletchings ride low behind me and usually cannot even be seen from the front as I ease through brush.....and yes, I do live in the thickest of the EAST!

You also have a built in game carrier if you happen to kill a few squirrels out there...  :archer:  

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
I always joke around with my hunting buddies...tell them "It's sacriligious to put a bowquiver on a Longbow". Longbows and Backquivers...Turkey and Thanksgiving....same with recurves...   :clapper:    :laughing:

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I tried back quivers when I used selfbows....never got the right feel or setup with it....switched to a side 'tube' style quiver that was much more preferable to me...I could just sling it around my neck and go, or I could lash it to the side of a daypack ala-cat quiver and still have easy access.

nowadays.  I really do prefer a bow quiver.  the added mass on the bow helps to quiet the bow and make it more stable....and I can nock an arrow as fast as I ever could with back or side.   (I four fletch so I don't need to look at the nock, just get it snapped to the string and fire.)

and ALL of my hunting is in the northeast...MA, CT, NH, RI...would love to get to NY too.   mix of open hardwoods to nasty tangley buckbrush, bittersweet and raspberry thickets.  

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I think twoforhooking nailed it right on. Done improperly a backquiver will be nothing but a pain. Done right and its hard to beat. I made this one (and have since improved upon it in small ways, such as adding a broadhead file pocket to the shoulder strap) and it works great. Its soft so it hugs the arrows to reduce noise and is very comfortable. But again, thats just my prefrence. Building it allowed me to make it exactly what I was looking for and at the same time gave me the ability to appreciate it more.  
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
I think the starter of this thread was just stirring the pot or a troll, he has started a couple other threads and done the same thing, not responded.

Great picks guys and I agree with all the believers longbows and back quivers are something that can't be exspained it is felt and practiced. Something special about it once you find it   :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Looks that way K.S., what an odd past time for some folks and an even odder subject to use.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I agree longbows and back quivers seem to just go right together but I've never been a longbow or back quiver type of guy. These days I use a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster. But a couple of my longbow totin' friends use them and they seem to enjoy them. they ARE very traditional looking and I like the idea of carrying lots of arrows.

I harken back to my childhood when my parents gave me a Ben Pearson longbow set in the 50s and the back quiver was stiff as a board and when I bent over all the arrows fell out. Then when you put them in they hit the bottom and it sounded like they hit a hollow drum. Guess I never got over it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©