3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quivers and hunting in the east  (Read 986 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quivers and hunting in the east
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I love the IDEA of back quivers, but most of my hunting is done with a pack on my back.  The two just don't go together.  Bow quivers worked fine for many years but they clutter the bow and influence the way the bow shoots, at least for me.  Side quivers work for me.

Hope the rest of the family agrees cause I'm in the middle of making 7 of them!!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
different strokes for different folks i guess, i personally use a cat quiver- and i have tried the back quivers extensively- but my go to is, every one of my bows has a solo stalker on. i have made 2 blade and 3 blade solo stalkers- quick and easy to get out and on the string- super safe too!
here is a link with one, i build mine a little different, and i dont use the bottom arrow clip.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=111332

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Remember those quicky brown rubber 4 arrow slide on, and push the wire clamp down things? Once I called in a fox, it was damn cold. I had 5 arrows, one in hand four on the bow, broadheads jutting out in open air screaming for blood. I shot and missed, the fox ran from left to right about 15 yards and stopped. I went for another arrow and snapped it trying to get it out of the quiver. The fox ran about 70 yards and stopped again.  This time I was more careful, but the quiver cut two dandy slots in my arrow as I pulled it out.
 Then once in a permanent tree stand, a Bear wire braced bow quiver, 4 arrow, a small buck ran up and stopped. I had a narrow shooting lane, too narrow, I hit the tree. When I shot, one arrow fell out to the ground, the two remaining Bear 308s were slid down and dangling by the foam and rattling against my bow limb. Bow quivers have come a long way, however, back quivers have stayed about the same. Set them up right and learn how to manage them, they are the only way to play.  I have four, one needed some work. It looked just like my same sized right hander, but on the left it hung wrong. I punched new holes and finally found where I could reach my arrows without any contortions.  Back quivers are most definitely not one size fits all. Every time I change clothing thickness I need to adjust the quiver and that could change the angles of things and make for a challenge, but it is a workable material and solutions are only an adjustment or two away.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
trapper and cav scout. Not trolling  only do that when I'm fishing.  And what's so odd about my post . I didn't know I was obligated to reply . And what's my other posts I didn't reply to?  I've been only bow hunting since 1964. Use back quivers and the ones I use arr a hill  Nate Steen.  Daver creager.   I use a back PAC. and a folding stool. when hunting for me that's  enough to carry on my old shoulders. Just prefer hip or bow quivers while deer hunting. 3 d. Shoots or stump shoot shooting. I'll ware a back quiver.  Just wanted to get some feed back from others.
Dan Breen

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
No Dan, of course you aren't required to reply to your own post. And forgive me please for assuming you were trolling, but it is common and when done it is done in a manner much like this thread: pose a subjective question and then abandon it. You did ask a question, and for several days myself and others were merely answering it from our own opinion. so yes, the formula for a troll was there, again, my apologies. If your thread was more along the lines of "I don't use back quivers often because I carry a back pack and stool and I just prefer bow and side quivers" this whole matter would of gone differently. But you asked why people need so many arrows and then claimed they wont be suitable for deer hunting when a deer is close, this of course caused people to defend their own experiences. As for the "odd" remark, I simply meant that IF someone were to troll the forum there are certainly more inflammatory subjects than which quiver everyone prefers and why. Bow speed debates are always spirited and lively, they can go that route.   There's no intentional harm done here, and I am sorry for the "troll" remark.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cavscout9753:
No Dan, of course you aren't required to reply to your own post. And forgive me please for assuming you were trolling, but it is common and when done it is done in a manner much like this thread: pose a subjective question and then abandon it. You did ask a question, and for several days myself and others were merely answering it from our own opinion. so yes, the formula for a troll was there, again, my apologies. If your thread was more along the lines of "I don't use back quivers often because I carry a back pack and stool and I just prefer bow and side quivers" this whole matter would of gone differently. But you asked why people need so many arrows and then claimed they wont be suitable for deer hunting when a deer is close, this of course caused people to defend their own experiences. As for the "odd" remark, I simply meant that IF someone were to troll the forum there are certainly more inflammatory subjects than which quiver everyone prefers and why. Bow speed debates are always spirited and lively, they can go that route.   There's no intentional harm done here, and I am sorry for the "troll" remark.
Cavscout, Good post.   :shaka:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
No need to apologies   Were all in the same game in this great sport  and I for one have respect for all.    Dan
Dan Breen

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
I am still trying to figure out what makes it a trolling post.  I will say that I use a back quiver for exactly the reasons you don't like them. I find that getting an arrow out of a hip quiver or a bow quiver difficult if a second quick shot is required. And good lord I need a lot of arrows if a flock of pheasants gets in my way, that is where I have issues with carbon and aluminum arrows. Eventually the wood shafts will rot away and the broadhead will rust away, besides being a bit cheaper per shaft. I should add that I take the back quiver off and take out a couple of arrows and set them in a convenient to grab position when sitting on my huntmore, with my bow on my leg. I used to take the bow quiver off my recurves as well, but when I went to hip quivers I strapped them to a branch when up in a tree stand. If I were hunting out of a tree stand mostly, I would still be doing that. Nothing is louder than me cussing at my back quiver as it is falling to the ground.  My first deer season was also in 1964, I had a motorcycle but no drivers license.  I never got caught driving the 14 miles to the river, but I nearly froze to death a few times and yes, I had a recurve with a bow quiver strapped to the bike.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Back packs are the exact reason I went to a side quiver or I'd have stuck with my back quiver!

More often than not I have a pack frame on....side quivers really are the perfect quiver.  Back quivers have a nostalgia to them, nothing wrong with it and I enjoy hunting with them as well.  When it comes to meat and potaters hunting, I'm 100% side quiver.  Either a Jack Bowyers Chief or a modded great northern longbow quiver (added a 550 cord strap pre great northern side quiver days).  There truly is no better setup!  If you're classic tradition, run a back quiver.  I dislike a bowquiver on my longbows as well.  I don't like the added weight and see no benefit by it other than its handy.

GFA quiver is ok but it has the same issue with the rubber clips, they are heck on shafts in the cold!  I had to do some trimming for them to accept 23/64ths wood.

I do NOT like my chief for 3d shoots or range time!!!   I will wear it but typically wear my back quiver.  I have a foam plug in the open end to keep shafts away from each other during hunts.  I cant remember who it was, Jay Campbell or Dean T who showed me this, I was laughing too hard the hole time on a bou hunt up north to remember. Its pretty slick, though no needed.   Cut a plug with notches on the outside for the shafts and do your thing.  Loading sidequivers like the chief, raptor, or anything similar stinks when doing it repeatedly!  Hunting with it on the other hand....like I said, NOTHING comes close or is as versatile!

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I am so old, fat and stiff I cant even scratch my back.

Have an old "chuck adams" hip quiver for most of my hunting and use a bow quiver sometimes

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I originally got this from a thread Rob D. posted and I really liked it, so for whatever its worth...

ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Panhead Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Cavscout,
  Thanks for posting the article. I enjoyed reading it.
66" 7 Lakes Longbow 55 @ 29"
62" Firehawk 53 @ 29"
66" Big River R/D Longbow 55 @ 29"
64" Big River R/D Longbow 51 @ 29"
'59 Big River Recurve 53 @ 29"
64" Sands"Kestrel"Longbow 47 @ 29"
One Osage Selfbow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Dan, thanks for letting us no your intentions and finally responding. Sorry I didn't post last night but we were butchering deer.

Lucas, I read that article back in 2001 when it came out, it really stuck with me because at that time we were driving to Oregon elk hunting every year with my buddy that lived up there. I hunted all over Oregon from the coast to the east side and did it for 10 years.

When I went to the Hill style bows I remembered that article and looked thru every magazine I had trying to find that article. Lucky for me Rob posted that on here and I have re-read  it several times, some great tips IMHO. Thanks!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
You're all welcome. Yeah, when I found that in a thread Rob posted I loved it. I'm not necessarily advocating back quivers (though I now prefer it), its only meant as a way to show folks how to do it effectively. That way the decision to use it or not use it is based on an informed and thourough trial, thats all.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Good article, thanks.

CHuckC

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Proficiency can be obtained with a bow quiver...

http://www.tradgang.com/videos/schafer/psgoat5.wmv  

And of course for the quick shooting and reload with the back quiver...

http://www.tradgang.com/videos/ronlaclair/ronl-6.wmv  

Many of the problems associated with the back quiver come from the fit of the quiver or more often lack of fit and lack of skill development of the archer.  Any quiver is an integral part of the bowhunters shooting technique and sequence, or at least in my opinion should be for best practice.  Practice with the bow quiver and withdrawing another arrow quickly, with "conditioned instinct" is just as important as with a back quiver.  You just never know when you will get that second shot...   or third...  or forth...LOL!  
      :thumbsup:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline superrman77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to get the Dvd with all of the "Instinctive Archer Magazines"?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©