3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf hang on users?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf hang on users?
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Do you guys prefer the easy hang hook? Do any of you guys carpet your platforms?   Thanks.  Bill

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf hang on users?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
No and No
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
no and no.  I use just one strap.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
1 strap and hockey tape the whole stand. Deadens sound and keeps the cold from conducting to your feet.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Yes and no.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
No and No
X2

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Man brevity in answers...

I like the hook. I have a dozen in different trees so that I can drop the stand in and hunt. Pull it when I leave. I use 3 points of contact...hook, two straps. I have spent 3 years recovering from a gorilla stands/strap miscue. I no longer leave my stands out. Most of my sets are 12-14 feet only (so three sticks if you are keeping tabs).

I am about ready to take spray paint to all of mine. I think sometimes that light metal catches their eye some.
Mike Davenport

Offline recurvehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I prefer using the offset bracket, as it allows you to get in trees with some lean and maintain a level stand.  Its my understanding that you can't use both at same time.

An idea if you want the best of both worlds, as I have made one and it works pretty good (although I dont use it much now because I find they hang easy with a proper linesmans' belt and two free hands).  Take a short (6-7ft) length of 3/8" rope and tie a prussic onto it with paracord.  Wrap rope around tree (rope has loop tied at one end).  Thread the tag end of rope through it's own loop, also bringing the paracord prussic through the loop. Cinch down, then slide prussic down tag end to desired height and attach loop end of prussic knot around the versa button.  Stand hangs right there, while hanging, and can still use offset bracket.  If your having hard time visualizing what I'm saying, just think about how the lifelines work.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
I like the hooks. Plus both straps. Even if it is just a mobile set I like the hooks. As far as carpet I have not but I sure can see the desire. I have thought on a few different occasions this year that those lone wolfs are a bit noisy. Also don't care for the fact your boot heal will fit thru the bottom of the stand in certain holes. I could see the use of the hockey tape as mentioned earlier or even carpet like your thinking.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Hah. NO carpet.

I have one Alpha and one Assault set up with the offset bracket for the ultimate in versatility for hunting new spots.

I have one Alpha and one Assault set up for the hook to have my choice of about 10 spots I can go in and get up quick and quiet.

All alone Wolf setup options work well. Big Mike--NEVER buy anything by Gorilla!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Steve O...I learned that lesson at 27 ft/second and enough money to do a stone sheep hunt with all 4 surgeries I had to have. I am a lone wolf guy...
Mike Davenport

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Bro--it is 64ft/sec^2--not to make light.

We will compare notes in Osceola camp on the suckiness  of anything Gorilla...anything.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
Forgot the squared  :)  No mention of apes, check.
Mike Davenport

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
I use the hook for hanging the stand but I put a strap on one of the versa button deals before it climb in. I think the hook makes hanging the stand easier.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
No & no... I like the bite the offset bracket/batwing gives you.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
No for both.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I use the wolf hook but do not put anything on the platform.  I've never used the offset bracket - the hook has worked perfectly for me.
>>>--------->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
No and no.  One sits a little further from the tree with the bracket vs the hook.  I like the extra space.  Never had a problem with boot noise on the platform.  No need to coat it with anything.  I do a little spray paint to camo it even more.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
I have about 15 Lone Wolf's and thought the hook was only an aid in hanging until you get the two straps around the tree. I wouldn't trust my life to standing on the platform with the hook only engaged about 1/2"  - guess you guys are brave.

Never seen a need for carpet.  The only time I've ever had a noise issue is if I have stones or ice in the treads of my boots. I'm careful to kick off any snow or ice, and pick out any stones I may pick up.

I prefer the light grey color, it matches best with the sky, which is the back ground any animal within bow range is usually see the stand against. If an animal picks out that little grey platform, I'm sure they're seeing the 200 pound guy holding a bow standing on it - especially dressed in the predominately dark colors of most camo's now available.  The next time you walk up on someone in a treestand, look up at them against the sky background - they look like a big, black blob on the side of the tree - especially in the low light of early or late in the day.
Dan Brockman

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Guys you can use the hook with the batwing bracket. Just put the hook on the tree first and leave it loose enough to get the hook on the stand. Now push down on the stand. Now you can attach one or two of the straps to the Versa buttons. If you put the hook to tight on the tree you will have a gap between the tree and the batwing bracket. I don't dig that. Leave the hook a little loose. Then really cinch down on the other two straps. You get the best of both worlds and it's rock solid.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©