3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf hang on users?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf hang on users?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
I love the Alpha II. Just bought two more. I don't use the hook and I use both straps. Frankly, other than commercials on TV I'm totally unfamiliar with the hook or the bracket. I attach the batwing piece on all my stands.

If the tree allows I also put a ratchet strap with hooks around a tree and a front corner of the stand to provide immovable stability.

All my hang-ons are now Lone Wolf or Muddy. I won't buy another hang-on that doesn't have some adjustment for a leaning tree bole.

Online GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm in the no to both camp. Never tried the hook so I can't compare the two

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapiti792:
Steve O...I learned that lesson at 27 ft/second and enough money to do a stone sheep hunt with all 4 surgeries I had to have. I am a lone wolf guy...
I took a 24' fall from a gorilla too. Broke my pelvis in three places and wrecked the connective tissues in my midsection, which still hurt 8 months later.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
No to both. But I like the idea of the hook.

I also had a gorilla stand come off the tree a few years ago. Took about a 16' fall.  Messed me up a little, but it's a wonder it didn't kill me.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
Yes to using the hook. Always meant to, but never tried the bat wing.
No to carpeting the platform.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
No on both for me....I do prefer two straps...
Jr.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
There is a definite pattern here...

I was fortunate VERY early in my hunting youth to understand how Gorilla did business and will never ever give them a dime of my money and would never trust my life to ANY piece of their equipment.

When I use the hook on my Lone Wolf, I always have a strap or two hooked on as well, I never use just the hook. I never am unhooked from the tree either on my fall arrest; it's not worth the few seconds. I carry extra straps. I promised my wife.

I'm sure I've missed out on deer because I've taken to much time...who cares!

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I use the two straps supplied with the stand and then one ratchet strap around the middle of the stand and then around the top of my steps. Everything is very secure with no movement from my stand and top steps.

Ron

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I see a lot of emotions involving Gorilla stands.  I have a ton of these and have never had any issue.  What seems to be the problem with them?  Obviously, you want to use a good harness with any stand.

Bernie

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
I also use the hook for hanging the stand and I use the 2nd strap. I don't carpet the Lone Wolf's but I do carpet my climber.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bernie B.:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I see a lot of emotions involving Gorilla stands.  I have a ton of these and have never had any issue.  What seems to be the problem with them?  Obviously, you want to use a good harness with any stand.

Bernie
Wondering the same thing Bernie.  I have one that's about 5 years old and never had a problem.  I never leave it out over night though.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of LW. I do wish they would figure out a ratcheting system for their straps, I always have just a tiny bit of "play" in mine while set up. Back to original question. I use the hook in the same manner as Jon S. No carpet. I have an old original LW that is dark green from the factory, might be anodized, and it disappears better than any other stand. From prying human eyes if you know what I mean, so now I paint em all like that.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
I have been using LW for 17 years- every time I hunt it is a new set-up (portable).  After literally 100s of sets (easily 50-100 per year) - I have never had any "play" using just one strap.  I wonder if it is the size trees or something else.  I know I have the top-offset bracket and of course the platform on the bottom.  I wonder if folks realize that the strap on the LW is NOT the thing that makes it tight.  In fact- either the hook, a bottom strap, as well as a ratchet would DEFEAT the mechanics that make the thing tight (I have tried those!).  Mine really is rock solid when I set it.

The FIRST thing to do is keep the stand folded up.  Place the strap on the top- and just snug it. Pull down the stand putting pressure on the TOP bracket WITHOUT touching the bottom teeth. THEN fold the stand down.  I then step on the stand ON THE BACK- near the seat post. Put both feet on each side of the post directly on the back teeth of the stand.  I actually kind-of bounce on it.  This "sets" the "wedge-pressure" of the top bracket and the bottom.  That thing is really tight and locked in.  I have NEVER had one shift or sloppy.  

BTW- that "wedge-pressure" is also how the sticks work.  You do not have to overly tighten the straps- just get them on- barely snug them.  It is your weight and the "wedge-leverage" that
locks them in.  

I even filed all the sharp edges of all the V-brackets on my sticks and stands.  You do not need them "biting" in- that just makes noise.  It is the "wedge-pressure" action that holds them tight against the tree.  I can set my entire set-up with virtually zero noise.  

Hope that may help some. . .  works for me.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
OG, I had the same issue with a little play....but I learned here that once it's set(make sure your harnessed in)get on the seat with one knee, and with your other foot lift up on the end of the platform and the stand will settle in, push platform back down and it's rock solid!!! Then I just snug up bottom strap.

I also don't like the straps system all that much, but don't like the noise of ratchet straps either. I wish they would use a "cam over" strap like I have on my old Staghorn Hiker. Hook it, pull tight, then cam the strap over and it gets super tight and will not move...and no ratchet noise.....killer system that I cannot believe more manufacturer's use.

That said, I do like my LW hang on....but to me it's still not perfect...for me...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
KSdan - good description on how to hang a Lone Wolf. I hang many of them every year, doing it basically the way you do, and they don't budge.  It's CRITICAL that you keep the platform folded up against the tree as you snug the top and bottom strap.  Then, as you fold the platform down, the stand locks tightly to the tree and is silent and secure.  I tighten the bottom strap to the point that it takes some pressure to fold the platform back down.  I like the platform at a very slight angle - the end farthest from the tree slightly higher than the other end.
Dan Brockman

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I used the hook for a few years when that is all that they came with. In 2001 I heard of a fellow bowhunter that fell due to the hook. We all assumed he made a mistake setting up the stand. The next year my stand dropped.  After being up there for 3 hours I removed my safety belt as I prepared to start lowering my gear down. The extra movement was enough disengage the hook. I did a 20 ft. belly flop. It happened so fast that my hands never got out of my pockets. This fall almost killed me.
I still use a Lonewolf hang-on but only use the hook to hang it while I install the strap to the upper button. I spoke to the original owner and he was aware of the problem with the strap stretching on large trees causing the hook to slightly drop.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
I always thought the directions that came with the stand said that the hook was only to work as sort of a "3rd hand" while hanging a stand - you hung it from the hook, positioned the two straps, snugged them down, removed the hook, and folded the platform down - or did I just think that up on my own...
Dan Brockman

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
How in the heck would the hook fail if you had another strap around the stand?  Bill

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
I personally use the offset bracket. Connect the top strap and snug it up with the stand folded up vertically. Pull down the assembly vertically to snug the bracket to a bite, then fold down stand and then connect bottom strap &/snug up too... Get harnessed in. Step on stand close to vertical support connection to platform. I then hug the tree with my left foot close to vertical support, I then use my right foot to lift up the platform on the end so the platform frees from the tree and with heavier downward pressure on left foot really sets the stand. Then let platform down flat. If the bottom strap isn't tight enough, I step on sticks again and lift the end of the platform a little to allow a little more snugging of the bottom strap. Don't go too tight, but when the stand goes back flat it will cinch up that lower strap. All good and rock solid... IF YOU EVER HAVE A STRAP SLIP IN THE BUCKLE FOR STAND OR STEPS, REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!!! I test mine and I've had two over several years of use that got slick in a spot and would give a lttle. Time for a new strap.... Mine last a long time. Are they perfect, no, but still my favorite setup!

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
I use both the hook and the offset bracket with good results. The hook is a easier hang but they both work well for me. Hook on an alpha 2 and offset on a assault. The Alpha 2 is set up for a longer hunt with a Hunt comfort seat.

The Assault is my go to stand. I always use two straps and use the sit and lift with my boot if needed. Hard to beat the assault and sticks for a go anywhere do it all stand. If it fits you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©