3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: plaid shirt  (Read 504 times)

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
plaid shirt
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I came across this shirt at one of our local stores. Its fleece on the outside with a liner on the inside, it appears a little brighter in this picture than it actually is, it has different shades of brown along with the lighter yellowish tan shades. Anyone think this would work as a camo jacket?

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: plaid shirt
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I wouldn't be afraid to hunt in it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Excellent fall color.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
yep, it'd work
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Not a problem. Been wearing plaid shirts to hunt in for over 30yrs. works great.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Yes but your string may contact the pocket at release depending on your form.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Yeah!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Won't work down here in the South. Our deer only come out if you are wearing the latest, greatest camo patterns as seen on the hunting shows on TV. Wish our deer weren't so fashion concious.Can't mix camo patterns either. They like matching outfits!
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Looks good to me! I like quilted flannel. They also make a great liner for old military field jackets if you have one without the liner.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Looks great
I'd wear it

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I have found muted plaids to be just as effective as camo. That would be a good hunting shirt.
Sam

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Looks great. The gray and white plaid hanging on the rack behind yours would work even better for me.   :campfire:

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Get a seam ripper and remove the pocket (by cutting just the threads that attach it) on the side of your chest where your string would hit it.  All of my hunting shirts are missing the left breast pocket!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I agree with Bill Turner. That gray one in the back ground would be the bomb. I'd use either on with confidence, though my taste runs to anything gray.

Hell, those are both "camo". I get upset when people differentiate commercial "camo" from plaids. Does it really matter whether the different shades of color are square or leaf shaped.
   :confused:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Guess I'll be the salmon today.....

Yes plaid is effective and has been used for many years.  Countless game animals have been killed using it.  Countless others have not been killed while using it.  You can and will kill critter while wearing it.  However, is there more effective camo out there?  IMHO  - absolutely.  

Personally it is my experience that Leafy camo and ghillie suits are far better then plaid at concealing movement and breaking up the human form.  I also believe that open patterns like ASAT and predator have been better for me at breaking up the human form in certain circumstances.

All depends on what you want.  I once killed a deer at 15 yards wearing a white tee shirt - still I personally believe camo would be a better option then a white tee shirt.  

Deer do see movement more so then stationary targets.  Where effective camo comes into play is when you must make some movement and still remain undetected.  Yes by all means wait for the right time - however, I don't think I am the only one that has had to draw while I had a group of deer present.  My ghillie and bow blind made it possible.  Had I been wearing plaid I am sure most of the time they would have picked up that movement.  Sitting in a tree after leaf fall most plaids do little to break up the human shape at any distance and tend to blob up like most camo does.  This is where camo patterns like horizon, fall gray and ASAT work extremely well.  Shall we talk snow?????  

Bottom line for me is that wool plaid works great.... but the right camo, in the right circumstances/environment just does a better job and increases the odds that you will remain undetected.

Having said all that, there are those days where the tradition of wool plaid just feels right..... and I still wear it frequently.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Plaid is all I wear. Go for it.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
I'd wear it.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys, it caught my eye when I walked by and thought it would work great with the fall leaves. I agree on the movement thing and have seen many deer while wearing t-shirts and jeans and the deer didn't pay any attention to me until I moved. I would definitely remove the pocket on the one side just to be on the safe side. I have tons of regular "camo" from leafy suits to scent-lok, I like all of them but they are getting pricey for my budget, this shirt with a coupon I have would cost me $9.99, I could also buy the grey one for less than $20.  Thanks again for the comments

Rodney

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
You know, if you are on a budget, look at getting XXXL camo (or whatever flavor) T shirts and put them on over all your warm stuff. Don't ask how I know about this. . .  Cheap, and they work.

ChuckC

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
I was in a place called "Bargain Hunt" yesterday in Florence Al. They had the exact same shirts for $10. I have more plaid than I can wear so I passed on the shirt even though I liked the color.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©