3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: pack size...  (Read 258 times)

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
pack size...
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
Ok guys, I'm sure this topic gets beaten to death, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway...

How big is too big for a pack?

I've been searching for a pack that can carry a days worth of gear, including compression straps for all of my outer layers... and since I'm not a fan of quivers on my recurve, I've been looking hard at the bigger cat quivers. I've got the catquiver 2, which holds enough gear for an early season hunt, but doesn't possess the things I need for a full day set or a late season hunt.

Does anyone have experience with the larger packs? I've been interested in the 6. I sweat, so I need to pack my gear in to the stand with me... any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pack size...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
hi chris
the million dollar question- so many options- but its all personal choice at the end, i guess.
after many years of trying to find the ultimate set up- i think i have it, and at a very reasonable cost.
i normally use a cat quiver 3. which i really like- just cant carry enough for multi days. straps are also not robust enough! and no proper hip belt. but it wasnt designed for that, so i guess it works very well as intended!

so i just bought this army surplus pack board/ back pack combo
sorry for the small pic, but it cost about fifty bucks.

then when i am using the above pack, i will use a haversack/ quiver combo

similar to this, but will build one to suit my own needs a bit better.
 that will give me the option, of dumping the back pack easily, to put in a stalk if need be!

the quick attach bag for the board will also double as a mini tarp tent/ bivvy.

but my ultimate deal, is the light weight hand climber that i am busy working on, that will double as a pack board (as above), and the seat portion, can also work as a separate torges seat too.
so... tree stand , torges tree seat, pack board, back pack, and  bivvy/tent all in one!!

well see how that goes    :)

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
The pack that I have been using when I go to Kodiak deer hunting is a Kelty Lakota 65. I have a single arrow quiver on my bow and I have been using a SarfiTuff quiver that I strap to the side of the pack. The pack has enough room to carry a days worth of gear and a boned out deer. I have had ~80 lbs in the pack and it handled it well. I am happy with this setup.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
I don't think you can get a better all purpose pack than the Bison Gear lost river. I too switched from a bow quiver and carry a shoulder carry type of bow quiver(homemade thunderhorn on  stick) and have found that the quiver carries really nice with the lost river pack.  

I've had my bison gear a few years now and really am happy with it.

This year I also switched to a rancho safari ghillie and it fits perfect inside my bison gear lost river pack. The outside pockets carry my other gear like armguard,tab, knife, water bottle, and so on. any other gear like extra jacket I carry on top of the pack useing the"bedroll" straps. Underneath the pack also has a set of "bedroll" straps that I use to carry my shappel 360 chair.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
I've been using a cheap Fieldline pack for a long time. To hike to the stand I wear a longjohn top and my outer waterproof shell over that. In the pack I carry a foam seat, heavy wool shirt, change of longjohn merino wool top, light down jacket, snack, thermos. In the ample side pockets I put a pee bottle, radio, toilet paper. In the front pocket goes headlamp, extra batteries for my Fenix light, tags, hand and toe warmers.

It's cheap but very handy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
It all depends on your needs.  First off, everyone needs to carry the bare essentials for survival every time we step out to hunt.  You just never know in the outdoors.  Then is just depends on what all you need to carry.  

Stand or blind hunts I have carried this...

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
For me, it totally depends on where I am and what I am doing.  

Tree stand (or ground) hunting near home and I use a large fanny pack or day pack I got from Cabela's a hundred years ago ( whitetail series).  I have carried out half a boned out cow elk with that thing using a meat bag extender (I don't recommend that, it hurt, a lot), and it is relatively light weight and not too large.

Out west, I wear a Bison Gear Lost River pack. It is built with carrying heavier loads in mind.

And, of course, there are a hundred other options available.

CHuckC

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Check this video out. Kind of a lengthy video but I like the idea on how he made it modular!

R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I like the features on the Timberhawk packs plus the cost is reasonable. Lots of handy zips, pockets and straps for just what you're wanting to do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look in to the suggestions you've provided. I guess the most important thing for me, right now, are compression straps to haul my outer layers in. All of my stands are left in the tree so no real need to be super mobile. If hunting with the climber, I guess I could always strap my cat quiver to the ol'man and hit the woods... camo strapped to the stand as well. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©