3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gorilla Stands?  (Read 739 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Gorilla Stands?
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
Noticed on another thread that a few people had Gorilla's fail on them.  I was wondering if any others have had that kind of experience.  What's wrong with Gorilla stands?  I have a Silverback Scout that I love for it's light weight and have never felt in the least bit unsafe.

What gives?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gorilla Stands?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
The Gorilla stands and many other stands that use the coated cables to support the stand have had issues with moisture getting under the coating and rusting the cables.  The cables can fail with out any warning.  I used to replace all my cables every 3 years and i take my stands down after the hunting season.  This year i replaced all my cables with chain and i feel much safer now.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
I had one drop me about 12 feet last year. The problem was the cables that connect the back to the platform.

Apparently moisture gets inside the plastic coating and causes the cable to rust. Eventually it weakens the cable leading to breakage.

As I see it it is a maintenance problem/user error. No way to stop it that I know of but the stand should be checked yearly for this problem and cables replaced at the first sign of rusting. Every stand should have all their connecting points checked.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
Not only that but many of their models have cable coating that's not CLEAR and you can't see through to spot rust.  I had a steel Gorilla briefly a couple years ago and promptly sold it.  Never again!  Just MHO but what a heavy poorly designed piece of JUNK.  Like with anything the more expensive models might be better.  Anyway, often in life you get what you pay for!  How much is your life or limb worth???  I hunt on the ground now, but if I get another stand I will spend the money on something of better quality.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Hmm I have one up now and never checked it,, have to change out those cables this spring.
"Us vs Them"

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
I hunt in a modified tree saddle and sometimes a lone wolf stand these days.  I love the saddle as I am connected with heavy strap from the ground until I return to the ground - no way to fall unless I do something stupid.

When I do sit in a pernament stand it is a Lonewolf.  I don't leave them out for long periods and I have never had a problem with the cable rusting and they are plastic coated.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll check them tonight.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
I have owned one of the cheaper Gorilla stands for 3 years now, killed several deer out of it with gun and a couple with a bow.  I think it is a great stand, it is just heavy, which actually helps with it being "rock solid" in my opinion.  

As someone who can't go drop $400 on a stand, i have to shop cheap.  I never let someone else tell me about equipment that i haven't tried yet.  My advice would be to keep using it.  Change out the cables if you feel worried, and keep hunting it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
I checked their website.  Gorilla does not sell treestands anymore.  Think there is a reason?     :confused:

Check your gear guys and stay safe.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline cjohnsjf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I had both cables break at the same time. I had just stepped onto stand . And was clipping on my safety strap . Still had my hand on clip when both cables broke. Next think I knew I was hanging 18ft in the air .
I checked all my stands and found two other stands with bad cables. I am in process in replacing cables with chains.
Biggest lesson I learned: ALWAYS TIE OFF BEFORE YOU STEP ONTO ANY STAND.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
I have hunted with Gorilla stands for years without any problems but will sure check all stands with cables from now on. Thanks for the warnings.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I have hunted out of L cheapo Ameristep stands since high school, I'm glad this is come up because I need to change the cables on all of my stands!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Cheap stands, expensive stands. Everyone should be checking all cables, straps, chains and hooks. Those parts can go bad on all of them.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Yeah wouldn't want to pin this on one maker. It could happen to any stand. Cable or the ratchet strap holding them as my friend can attest. I've had two gorilla stands for years with no issues.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
how do you guys go about changing the cables for chains?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
what size chain???

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
I've changed my stands that had cables to chains because one broke, you might have to get longer bolts than the ones that hold cables and some big around washers it's quite simple once you look at it.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I sometimes carry my fixed stands in and out with my leverage climbing steps....chains would seem to be awfully noisy, no?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
I love my Gorilla stand and don't see me getting rid of it.  It cams down TIGHT!  But, should I just take off the rubber coating?  I guess I could get some more cable crimped to replace them.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
I had both cables break at the same time, at 24'. I had just stepped onto the platform and was about to tie off when it snapped, sending me straight down. Landed on my feet, and the force drove upward, breaking my pelvis in three places and messing up the connective tissues in my midsection, from abs to quads. That was the last week of May. The bones have long healed, but it still feels like I have a mild groin pull.

Now all of my stands with cables have chains.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©