3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gorilla Stands?  (Read 744 times)

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gorilla Stands?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
I have a Gorilla hang on I bought several years ago. Seems made ok but heavy and not an easy hang.
Its a decent stand to hang permanent with chains.

I would not buy another stand that secures by a single strap regardless of make.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
I have 2 gorilla silverbacks I have been using for years now without any problems but will be checking cables from now on and am considering putting on chains after reading this tread.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Hick you can tape around the chains and they should be quiet I do this to the chains I lock my stands with, also I will try to bolt cut the end rings once I know the lengths then bending them apart and connecting them,,, bend back to closed position and welding the cut.
"Us vs Them"

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
What cables are you referring to that rust on the gorilla tree stands?
The cable that attaches from base to back or the ratchet strap that the stand hangs on? I'm pretty sure the rust would be easy to spot. I think there may be a clear coating on the cables, but I'll have to check.
I've never seen a stand that has chain instead of cable there.

I've seen the ratchet straps replaced with chain but the ratchet straps are easy to replace.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
I read that Hawk Treestands bought out Gorilla.They have changed the stands.One thing they changed was that thier using larger cables.

I think thats a good idea for any stand!My Gorilla scout treestand is very well made.I will probably change the cables out for thicker ones.

I have always preffered chain on stands vs the ratchet type.They dont make many stands with chain on style these days.Screaming Eagle and Loc On still have the chain on stands

You can use plastic dip to silence cables and chains.You can buy it at the hardware store.It works great!You can use the dipping variety or the spray on version.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
How do you guys attach the chains to your stands. I want to replace my cables with chains

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
Wow, first I've heard of this.  I hunted out of those stands (aluminum, not steel) for years and never had the slightest problem with one.  Always thought they had one of the most comfortable seats out there.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 06:08:00 AM »
Interesting thread. I've owned and used Gorilla stands. Never thought they were that great, but certainly a good stand at that price point. I've never had a cable fail me but...

I think if most guys could really understand the psi stress placed on cables, they might be a bit more concerned. Jumping up and down on a stand really puts a shock-load into cables and can set them up for later failure. I've never really felt that great about cables, knowing they were (my opinion) always the weakest component in most stands.

Thinking about this makes me wonder whether a guy could create a sort of temporary 'cable backup' by using either rated paracord (good stuff), strong 3/4" webbing or other load-rated material. Could a couple backups be attached roughly along the same lines as the cables? Tie or attach to vertical frame and then down to outer platform frame. Just idly thinking...

A couple years ago I started using an American-made treestand which is equipped with strong chains instead of cables. The whole stand is built to be super-strong and very quiet. Until I used it I never realized what I was giving up when perched in an Asia-built unit. The only negative factor is additional weight.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
Used a Silver Back Magnum for years. Take all my stands down and do pm on them before they go back up. Using Leverage ladder stand and Millennium now.

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
I had one up for over 10 years. I did replace the cable with a chain.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
What kind of chain are you guys using on your stands?  I have some stands that could use new cables.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
The only problem I ever did have out of one (and I am one of those guys who stomps down on the platform to seat it securely, though I only go a buck-sixty) was that squirrels loved to take away pieces of the cushiony seat in order to line their nests.  This was a real problem, actually, if I left them up for any period of time.  Never had another seat on a stand that squirrels favored as much as those for some reason.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
I put a picture of a stock gorilla stand above.
Can someone put a picture up a stand they replaced cable with chain? I've never seen such a stand.

Offline brbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Kevin
I would think that would work. I have an old gorilla up now that i may just to that very thing on.
In search of the perfect tree...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Where are you guys getting the replacement cables anyway?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I made my own replacement cables earlier this year for 4 hang on stands.  I used 1/8" galvanized aircraft cable and crimp fittings.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I was going to make my own cables until I realized I needed cable, cable cutter, crimp tool, swage fittings and whatever sort of inner bushing or collar the cable fits around. It became fairly pricey and I gave it up. Far easier to get replacements from a mfr or have a shop make them.

I never cared much for coated cables which can hold moisture. I always preferred stands with fully exposed cables I could visualize for abrasions or developing problems. I really think a stand should be on a plan to change cables every 3-4 years...even though I'd be the first to violate my own recommendation.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I found this site for comfort zone  (Field & Strem) replacement cables:

http://www.primal-store.com/#!store/productsstackergallery4g0=13

and Big Game sells them through their Customer Service line.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
I posted about this before.I had been meaning to replace the cables on my Gorilla hang ons.I often wondered if the plastic coating would make the cable sweat.I cut the coating off all four cables and they were not only badly corroded but were actually wet and it hadn't rained in weeks.

I didn't have an accident bit it's probably a miracle that I didn't.I like the Gorilla stands a lot but will never have plastic coated cables on a stand again.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Butchie:
I made my own replacement cables earlier this year for 4 hang on stands.  I used 1/8" galvanized aircraft cable and crimp fittings.
Aircraft cables have been stainless for at least 40 years.  If it's galvanized, it isn't aircraft.  I've recabled some stands using retired 5/32 aircraft cable.  I don't worry about them breaking.  I need to find some more for my Gorilla stands.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©