3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did anyone ?  (Read 374 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Did anyone ?
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
I believe we discussed this concept some time ago.  Many of our forebears dressed quite nicely to go bowhunt (Pope, Young, Chet Stevenson, and more).

Did anybody "dress up" this year ?  Pix ?

Anybody up for a dress up day next year ?

ChuckC

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
Did they really dress up to go hunting, OR did they dress up to have their picture taken while hunting?

A white shirt, bowtie/necktie, sport jacket, etc does not seem practical for the woods.  I know most of the early archery competitions looked like church socials in dress.   :scared:
Lon Scott

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I think the notion of a properly dressed gentleman was very different in times past, so I believe a lot of them probably did dress that way.
Sam

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
That wold be ugly.  I do keep a Class A summer loin clot in my bottom draw, but do not wear ties any more
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I hit the woods dressed to kill!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
In the 40's the old timers in my camp always dressed like they were going to town. Real dapper gents they were. After the war they started to go with more wool and boots and such. Prior to that there was not a lot of selection in hunting gear.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
my dad was a mill wright, and when he started hius trade, his journeyman worked in a full 3 piece suit, took the jacket off, and put a dust coat on, vest, tie, dress pants ,mshoes all still on, to do greasy, dirty mechanical work.
my dad says he was amazing- could and would do everything, and not get dirty!!!

hunting wouldnt have been any different i guess!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
When I started to work at General Electric I worked and studied to be a toolmaker. When I became one in the early 70's the toolmakers where I worked [R/D] all wore white aprons and dress shirts in the tool room/ Machine shop everyday, some still wore ties. These would have been the same guys hunting in the late 30's and early 40's.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I got my German hunting license back in 1971. Hunting attire was pretty formal - forest green pants, light green shirt and a green tie. You were supposed to be able to unbutton your shirt sleeve, turn the cuff up ONE turn and field dress a deer without getting your shirt sleeves bloody. Used to love watching the forester do it. Could never match him, but he field dressed a lot of deer.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
About 40 years ago +/- I worked for a wonderful couple, probably about 10 - 15 years older than I am now so they weren’t elderly... Anyway, she told me the story of how when she was a little girl her dad would dress up in his best garb to go hunting. He would then change to his hunt cloths when he got to his hunt area hunt and then change back into his nice cloths. It was tough in those times and people did what they could to survive and he hunted for much of the family food but didn’t always follow the rules so he traveled in his business cloths in case of game check stations. He didn’t want to look like a hunter and get stopped.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
None of my two or three piece business suits cost as much as my Filson bibs or my wool camo or plaids.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 12:56:00 AM »
Stumpkiller, got that right!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©