3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Asbell zip up jackets on website  (Read 500 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Asbell zip up jackets on website
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
anyone get one of these yet,, wife got me one for Xmas but they only come in Morning Mist right now so curious if anyone has a pic of theirs and even an opinion on that color in the woods..

also not sure how the Asbell sizing runs but I normally wear a XL with a cotton flannel underneath but I got the Asbell in 2XL so I can wear a heavy wool sweater under it for late season I hope its not too too big where I can't shoot,,, I hate hoods for hunting and saw that jacket and had to get it!!
"Us vs Them"

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Asbell zip up jackets on website
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
You can get more patterns than just morning mist in a zip up.  Any of their patterns are great though.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
this is the coat with the collars not the hoodie it says morning mist only in the coats description
"Us vs Them"

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Oh, I see.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Just to clarify...   I spoke with Teresa a few minutes ago and ALL the zip up jackets are hooded regardless of pattern.  I informed her there may be some confusion based on the descriptions and pictures.  Timber Ghost on the way.    :thumbsup:

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
that's really great to hear and your right it didn't say that it in the ad it says jacket not zip up hoodie but my bad I will call and see if I can cancel the order before they process it thanks.

I've been calling and their voice mail is full and no answer.....can someone please post their e-mail because I cannot see it off the link and I need to e-mail from my phone.
"Us vs Them"

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
I too did not like hoods. The first Asbel zip up I bought I planned to cut off the hood. After using it I really like the hood being wool it is quiet, I also feel it helps to hide head movement. I do wear a cap and that keeps the hood out of the way. I also put my harnes on under the jacket with the tether strap coming out at the neck, works even with the hood up.
Oh the hood also helps to keep the breeze off your neck
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
yeah but my personal experience with hoods for hunting big game you lose ALL your peripheral vision and at the same time most of the sound you pickup only comes in thru the front so you cannot pin point where the noise is coming from fast enough and have to turn your whole head instead of just your eye balls,, its a handicap PLUS we all know by the time you think of putting the hood over your head it already has snow and rain in it and now your wearing a wet smelly hood,, some guys love them I don't though.

she must be busy I tried to call maybe 30 times,, I'm going to try tomorrow but my wife said its a pain getting a credit thru pay pal,, if the size is too big hopefully I can exchange it then I'll just cut the hood off.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Got one for my son's CHRISTmas present.  It looks premo and workman( woman)'s ship is top notch think he will love it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
really ignore my posts above the hood doesn't even concern me anymore cause I'm cutting it off I just hope I did good getting a size bigger and its not too big with the heavy wool sweater under it.

do the  sleeves have elastic (like the hand warmers) or button type cuffs or is it just a open tube type sleeve?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
The pullovers have an open tube type sleeve.  I prefer that as it cuts down on the bulk under my arm guard.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
They are open style sleeves. I think you are really overthinking this, lol. The size should work well for you. I bought my tshirt size (medium) and they fit perfectly for a layer or two underneath.

I've never been a fan of hoods either...until I got my first Asbell zip up. I HATE hoods on Carhartt coats, rain coats, sweatshirts...just about everything. They fit too tight, block my field of vision and forget about hearing anything.  The Asbell hoods are oversized and I really do find them very useful and comfortable. Give it a try before you cut it off.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
In my instructions to her, I always say "without hood".  They come to me as I asked.  Great product and customer service!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I don't like hoods myself but Theresa's hood is unique in that it does not interfere or block peripheral vision because of the way it flares out on the sides but I wear a hat under it and the hat keeps it from coming too far forward. If you don't wear a hat I can see how it can come down too far.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Guess I am the odd guy out. I like a hood with a proper fit like on mountaineering  brands as they are tapered and do not block your peripheral vision. I had the Asbell hood altered to remove almost 2" of useless bulk and it works much better and I can still fit a hat under it and it blocks wind way better. I felt my peripheral  was blocked badly before the alteration. I like the coat and will buy again and fit is simply personal preference.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
I'll give it a try when I try the coat on and see if it will work.
"Us vs Them"

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
ted.   I love the hood on mine.  I only pull it up on super cold sits (single digits to low teens) when I'm not moving.   and I sort of 'cuff' to keep it from blocking my peripheral vision if the hat I'm wearing isn't holding it back enough.  cuff as in just roll it back on fold.  

the sleeves are open, but are perfectly cut to not be too bulky for an archer.  being ...um...stout....lol...I've got really wide shoulders and short arms,  I cuff my sleeves one roll too and its still not too bulky.  

I think you'll enjoy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
For those without the hood what is the finished collar like...high,low, or medium,or nothing as on the vest? Thanks.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
hick your hood doesn't seem to be sticking out as far as other pictures I saw so maybe I'll give it a try..  Hick is that color Morning mist in your picture I'm trying to see a real out door picture of someone with morning mist on.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
got my coat!!!  I really don't do pics but the coat fits good with my wool buffalo shirt under it which was my biggest concern,,, little baggier on the gut section (like a pea coat) but not bad,, color is very nice I'm very happy with the color in person.  

sorry to you hood lovers but I don't like the hood at all it droops down over my eyes way too much like a hood that would be on a  medieval cloak,,   I could fold back 3" and it would be enough for my side vision to catch movement but where I wear a vest harness under my outer layer and have my safety strap coming up behind my neck it would be in the way.  

they only did a single stitch at the base of the hood which isn't enough so not sure if I'll cut it off when I officially open it on the 25th or have a seamstress reinforce all the stitching first before removing the hood which has enough  material,,, I want to see if the seamstress can add a grunt pocket on the upper outside of the arm and then a small 2 1/2" x 3" deep compass pocket below the armpit on the side then go over the elbow sections with a couple larger pieces.  

I'm happy with the coat and once I get it how I want it will be perfect.  so the hood worked out for extra material.  

so built well, quick shipping, top quality material.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©