3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite rain gear for hunting elk in the mountains?  (Read 641 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite rain gear for hunting elk in the mountains?
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Hey guys just wonder what you'll like to wear when the weather ain't so fair but ya still gotta hike around? Comfort, quiet, breath's well, easy to shoot in ect...
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite rain gear for hunting elk in the mountains?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I have yet to find rain wear that breathes well.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
X2 what Mark said.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Sitka Dewpoint. I used it in CO in the mountains for elk. (Also use it deer hunting at home). Expensive but when you're up at 10,000ft+ and it's raining/snowing and your miles from camp you won't be thinking about the price. You'll be glad you have it

Also, it's extremely packable so it was always in my pack

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Might check out FirstLite. I don't have the rain gear but I do own a few other pieces and love them. The rain gear is on my list.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
I've got Kuiu rain gear. I like it a lot. Keeps me drier than anything else I have had.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Well in the world of rain gear there is nothing that will actually keep you dry and still breath well enough to not get wet on the inside if you are doing anything more than sneaking into your stand.  Just the nature of no water in = NO WATER OUT!  No matter what the manufacturer claims.  

That said I find the best rain gear for continuous movement to be a wool outer layer.  Yes, eventually even the slightest rain will get through but it holds heat so keeps you warm regardless.

For sitting I found some gear that Gander Mountain sell as "their" brand(who knows who makes it and most likely in the far east) to be comfortable, bow hunter friendly and most important QUIET!  All in a relatively affordable package.  Especially if you are a small dude that can get the Kids large size for over 100 less for both 1/2's(top and bottom) and it is exactly the same design.  

One advantage of being small  :)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
I usually wear wool, but if I know it's going to be wet all day, or several days, I have a set of lightweight Rivers West that works pretty well.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
I hunted elk last season in a couple of days of downpours, and I wore Mad Dog raingear. I stayed dry, and I didn't sweat up a storm from it not breathing. I bought this stuff while on a trip to the Oregon coast, where they know a little bit about rain, and it was recommended by the sales guy at a sporting goods store. I have worn in in Alaska in a constant rain, and it has done the job admirably.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kopper1013:
Hey guys just wonder what you'll like to wear when the weather ain't so fair but ya still gotta hike around? Comfort, quiet, breath's well, easy to shoot in ect...
Was curious if you were going to chime in about other weather ie. cold,rain,heat...I use rain gear almost every day during elk season. We had some major downpours and hail storms this year.  To the point even the rain gear didn't work. Always seems to happen. Most days my go to pants are the sitks 90% pant. They are FAR FROM WATERPROOF.. Water resistant at best. Great for tall damp grass. Or a light rain. I wear first lite and smart wool base layers. As they are suitable late morning and throughout the day.  And I always have a light jacket. Up until this year was core4. For this coming year I'd rather put my $$$ in really good rain gear.  Cabelas makes some pretty nice stuff. Expensive. But probably worth it... As others have said. Regardless of what's advertised it's not going to breathe well. Quiet and not too bulky would be essential. As far as warm layers go. The wool bases and light jackets go a long way. As it seems you are always walking and heated up. I do carry a pack able down vest if I need an extra non bulky layer. It was over 80* here on the last day of the season this year   :mad:
At over 10,000 feet

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Swanndri !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by meathead:
I've got Kuiu rain gear. I like it a lot. Keeps me drier than anything else I have had.
same here, best I've found so far.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
I took the plunge and bought the Sitka downpour jacket and pants this year. I really had a hard time dropping that much coin on "rain gear", but after another uncomfortable and disappointing hunt in my old stuff this early season, I had had enough! I did some research, and it came down to Sika or Kuiu. Kuiu didn't have my size in stock, and I found a discount on the Sitka, so that's what I bought. I think the Kuiu might perform a tad better, but I will say that I am very happy with the Sitka gear. The fit is absolutely perfect for me, and is very comfortable. It has performed extremely well both on stand, and traveling to/from my stand. I never sat in a downpour, but the light to moderate precipitation that I did hunt in, the gear kept me dry both from the elements and from sweat. I wear First Lite merino wool underneath, and I'm sure that helped.

Actually, the First Lite stuff is new this year as well. I have enjoyed my hunts, and been more comfortable than ever this year.

I found myself wearing the Sitka gear much more than I anticipated, because it fit so well, and is a great layer to cut the wind from blowing through your wool. I wish I would have invested in this stuff years ago!

The one downside to the downpour series is noise. While not excessively loud, compared to wool its a bit noisy. And it does scratch against rough tree bark. And when the temp drops below probly 40*F, the fabric stiffens up a bit and makes noise when you move. But an Asbel wool jacket or the like, over the top of it, and problem solved.

Over all, I am very pleased with these garments. When it's warm, noise is not an issue (except for tree bark), when it's cold noise becomes an issue, but you'll want another layer or two anyway, and a wool layer over the top is the perfect solution.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline JRHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
I bought cabelas dry plus rain gear about 6 years ago. It is lightweight, pack able, & does a great job keeping you dry. I have used it from elk hunting to hunting whitetails back in the Midwest. Just spent last week here in Ohio with 6 strait days of rain and stayed dry the whole time.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
After many years of either being wet when it rained or being noisy I finally bit the bullet and bought Cabelas MT050 Gore-Tex jacket and bibs.  I wore them the whole week in Newfoundland in 2013 and all 5 days of this years hunt also.  I love them and have never gotten wet or even damp.  I have had a lot of Dry Plus from both Cabelas and Gander over the years but this my first pure Gore-Tex.  They have revamped  the MT050 with more pockets and a quieter outside fabric.  In my mind they are perfect.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I'll second the Cabelas dry plus stuff. I like to wear the thinnest I can find and buy it x-large so I can bulk up under it with wool. To me does not matter if it does not breathe to much cause if I have wool underneath the wool can get damp and still keep me warm.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I'm going to get the First Lite rain gear this year for spring bear. I wear FL base layers and outer layers, best I've found for the $ and they have exceptional customer service.

Rain gear isn't going to breathe as well as a lightweight top or bottom, but if you have a good performing (moisture wicking) base layer that will do the trick.

Many reviews on Rokslide rated FL rain gear as the most quiet and breathable of the high performance rain gear. Also eliminates the need for a soft shell as rain gear cuts the wind better anyways
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Typically when it rains in the mountains during elk season, it is usually a short rain shower. Very few all day rains. I have always carried an army poncho and probably average using it less than once a year. The poncho is great because it will cover your bow and pack until the shower is over. If it rains for a longer duration, I head to camp as we all know how tough it is to blood trail in the rain.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
All ideas above are good. Four requirements, it is light, it works, it breathes, and quiet, otherwise it doesn't get used. Prefer wool, maybe a camo jacket with waterproofing unless it is pouring and windy. I still hunt, but will find a natural blind if they are moving and I know where they are. It is too easy to get hot wearing the stuff.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©