3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Final resting place for Don's old recurve limbs...  (Read 690 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Final resting place for Don's old recurve limbs...
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I've wondered if I should share this story or not. But I hope I'm right in thinking that the man it's in memory of wouldn't have minded.

Some years ago I bought a Black Widow SA recurve via the TradGang Classifieds from a man named Don Collinsworth from Alaska.

Don had hunted with that bow in Alaska and in the Lower 48, as well as in Africa. Bears. Deer. Wildebeest. Other wonderful animals I can't remember now, but I recall the pictures he e-mailed to me of him and that bow in far-off places. It already had stories by the time I bought it. I think Don wanted to get a lighter bow to shoot as he was getting older.

The bow shot like magic. Heaps of fun! I only took that bow on one spectacular hunt to the incredibly wild and terribly hot Gascoyne River in Western Australia, a dry, sandy riverbed that held a few small puddles. Man, we shot some great old billy goats on that trip! If you look hard enough you might even find the story on some dusty TradGang shelf!

Not long after that trip, I noticed that moisture had got under the glass. I live in the hot tropics, so that is always a worrying possibility.

I asked Black Widow about it, and they said they'd look at it to see if it could be helped. I sent them the whole bow. Alas, the limbs were beyond help. I asked them to make new limbs for it, which they did, modifying the old SA riser to make it into a PSA. They sent it all back to me, old limbs and new, and it was all good.

But I didn't shoot that bow much after that. I was collecting and shooting and hunting with a wide variety of bows at that stage of my life, and it sat on the bow rack. Eventually, to raise funds for some other bow, I sold the PSA - so Don's old riser with the new limbs - to a bloke up near Jabiru called Bear. Don't know him personally, but he's a hell of a good bowhunter. He's killed heaps of boars and buffalo, so I know it went to a good home.

Somewhere in all of that, Don took ill and passed-away. I barely knew him, except for the transaction and the e-mails we'd send back-and-forth showing each other the amazing wilderness and wildlife sights of our different parts of the world. I remember wonderful pictures of snow-covered Alaskan beaches, salmon, bears, eagles and whales, I think. I wish I still had those photos, but I reckon I might've lost those e-mails somewhere along the way, maybe when my old address got hacked. Don was a good bloke and a passionate traditional bowhunter.

Well, lots of time went by, and those old limbs with the cracks and moisture sat in a cupboard. I'd remember Don and his adventures when I'd look at them from time-to-time, as well as my own trip to the Gascoyne that summer.

My life underwent some drastic changes. Good and bad. I quit bowhunting for awhile. I welcomed a fine son into the world. And my marriage failed. It took me quite some time to work through things.

At the start of this year, I embarked on a grand adventure, a new start, as a teacher in an indigenous community in a remote part of Arnhemland. Packing-up a house in town wasn't easy. Because of my career change to bush teaching, I had to get rid of a lot of stuff. I need to travel light.

I had no use for Don's old recurve limbs. I couldn't lug them around with me for the rest of my life. But I couldn't quite throw them out. Not yet. I had an idea. So, they came with me along the washed-out, corrugated, slippery, flooded wet season road past Beswick and Conways and Mountain Valley and Mainoru. And for some months they sat in a cupboard in my government-issue teacher house while I got my head around the culture shock of my job.

And then I began my journey back into traditional bowhunting. I'd really missed it. You might recall a few months ago I wrote about how blessed I was to finally kill a buffalo with a longbow, something I'd dreamed about for more than a decade.

One hot day back in October, Meg and I took the axe to the crash-site of that first bull. It was a place of huge significance to me. I hacked through the rock-hard, thick dry hide to retrieve the horns. And then I took Don's old recurve limbs, which I'd also carried, and reverently placed them in a stand of pandanus nearby. A few quiet thoughts (I'd already told Meg about Don) and we walked away, carrying the axe and the horns and skull of that bull.

The resting place is a grassy plain on the edge of a shady grove of timber next to wonderful swampland and creek systems. There are scattered clumps of pandanus and lone trees over this savannah. A rocky hill looks out over it all. During the wet season, it gets pretty muddy there. And thick with lush, green vegetation. During the dry season, or at the end of it, it's very dusty. But no matter the season, whether wet or dry, it's a place where vast herds of buffalo roam. They're always there. And wallabies, brolgas, egrets, jabirus. It's only about half-a-mile from the Wilton, where barramundi swim, and where giant saltwater crocodiles lurk.

We hunted past the crash-site of that bull, and the resting place of those old recurve limbs of Don's, a few weeks back. I paused to peer into the pandanus clump. There was only one limb there. I looked around, but couldn't find the other one. It will be there somewhere nearby. A dingo would've sniffed it out, found it interesting, and wandered away with it for a little while before losing interest.

It's a place where you hear the mournful, beautiful, eery howling of packs of dingoes as they call to each other when evening falls. This afternoon, it was lashed by an incredible tropical thunderstorm, heavy and black - and life-giving.

I hope Don would get a kick out of this. I hope he'd see it as fitting.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Final resting place for Don's old recurve limbs...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Really neat Ben.  I think your tribute to Don is awesome, fitting, and emotional.  Many would have just thrown the limbs away, not caring of the traditional and emotional attachment many of us place on these items.   I say well done, and I'm sure Don is smiling down upon you.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Awesome story... He's smiling down on you for sure, well written ben...   :notworthy:

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Im glad I read this.  Youre a great friend to have for sure.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Like burying a sword in a riverbed in times of old, you have done well!  Hail the Wild Hunt!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
That story Ben, the humbleness of the event, the life story interwoven in a bowhunting story is why I truly love our sport. Good on you, man. I know had they been my limbs from my Talltines longbow that has taken bears, elk, turkeys, and deer I would want them out there amongst them, and maybe, just maybe if you believe in such things, I come by in my own version of heaven and pick 'em up for use on one of those crocs    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Very moving and well written. I am sure he is looking down with a smile and a grin!!
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing a piece of your life in such a honest and heartfelt bit of writing Ben. I felt your words convey a memory of Don I'm sure he would smile  about. You have left me thoughtful and reflective...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
I think Don is smiling at you from heaven right now!!!!!!!

Bisch

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Don was a great guy. I'm sure he is pleased with your choice of a final resting place.
Chuck

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Well done
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Ben, youve just made my day alot brighter, your a heck of a guy to show the respect you have given don
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
What a great story.....thanks for sharing it with us.

That's a fine tribute from kindred souls, I'm certain Don would be pleased.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
Ben
Your story sums up the way I feel carrying my Dad's ashes with me when I hunt and why I leave a bit of him on all our adventures afield.  Thanks...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
My favorite part of this was that you barely even knew the guy. Just goes to show these things don't just have material value, but are a true extension of ourselves.

Thanks for sharing.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Great Story Ben, Well Played!Thanks for brightening an already, too bleak day!

Tippit, I've hunted with your Dad, in Quebec. Was welcomed company!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
That was a great tribute to Don thanks for sharing the story.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Very moving story
Leaves you with a very humble feeling

Chuck aka Greaseman

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Great story and gesture,Ben.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Awesome story Ben! Nice memorial for a fellow, like minded hunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©