3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm there last week of January with the same crew I had last year.. Been thinking about nothing else for days..

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Glad you fellas found the thread, and thanks all for the comments this far! Terry I hope that trip to the Dome was a memorable one!

I guess I'm up to day 2 then, let me pour a cup of coffee here.
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Day 2
When I woke up I found that Terry and Keith had arrived sometime in the night. I thought to myself “these guys must be good hunters!” They had unloaded all their gear, unpacked hunting gear, setup bows and quivers, and apparently dispatched a beverage or two in the process. Sneaky guys, all that and I didn’t hear a thing.

I started walking towards the lodge at 6:30 and was hit by the smell of bacon as I stepped out of the bunkhouse door. There is no better smell in hog camp that frying pork! I opened the door to the lodge and the aroma of fresh dark coffee was added in the air. Man life is good in camp! I gave Harry the wonder dog a good pat while having coffee with Andrew and discussing hunting plans for the morning. A short time later the guys came over and we all did some hand shaking and breakfast eating before breaking out the big maps.

I told them about all the places and times I’d seen pigs in the last two days, and where I saw the best rooting activity. Terry and Keith decided they’d go down in the swamp, I had decided to check a new section of the property Charlie recommended that was a nice mix of thicket and hardwoods. Here are some details for those of you that know the property a bit. The guys went down the right turkey foot, but hung to each left turn to come out in Swamp Field (aka the one behind #7 road.) I used the main trail to check out Thing One and Thing Two, broke through the timber to check an old logging deck with plume grass, then I cruised the pines between Blue Lake and the picnic area on the East side of the road. I gotta say I was REALLY disappointed that I didn’t see a single hog in two hours of going, and even worse I saw almost no rooting activity. I’d have to talk to Charlie later!

There is an old logging deck near the middle of the property, although the last one had no sign, this one had a lot of thick cover all around it. I decided I’d enter the section from the SE side and work towards Wild Fire whichever way the wind would let me. I stopped long enough for some trail mix and a little jerky, then gave a final check of the wind. Wind forced me to go about 100 yards towards the swamp and then enter the river cane diagonally. It would limit how I could hunt it, but it should pretty much put me straight into the best part of it. I took 10 or 15 quiet steps off the logging road and stopped and glassed. I like to take a few minutes to take a knee and go into sneaky mode. About 5 minutes into my sneak I see a black tail wagging out of some short grass. Now this isn’t my first dance, I freeze. Finding hogs can be tough, but finding the little one that is going to bust you is really hard! I slowly lift my 6x binoculars and get a really good look at this hog. It’s nice sized, probably just over a hundred pounds, all black, and moving off at an angle. It’s a very favorable direction to the wind, and it’s eating way more than walking so it shouldn’t be hard to close about 20 yards for a shot… Now where is the squealer? There they are, 3 more the exact same size. Two black and one brown with black spots. One of those spots almost looks like a target on it’s ribs. I like the idea of that shot, and with that the cat and mouse begins again.

I would catch up a couple quiet steps, they would move a few more away. We moved down a little hill together but I wasn’t catching up as fast as I’d like. At one point I loose track of them a little so I lift my binos to scan some palmettos and between me and there I see some black hair! It seems I’ve stumbled up on a bedded hog at about 15 yards. GREAT! I’d love to shoot one where it lays, but which end is which? I can see about 20” of the top of it’s back and that is all. The hairs are all horizontal and I can’t make out anything muscle wise to help me know which side to approach from. I figure wind is just a little better from the left so I start to circle that way around a hog I’m guessing is about the same size as the other four. As I’m sidestepping behind a tree my movement catches his attention. I have one foot hovering over a dry branch when I hear something and look up to find him on his feet staring at me. Now something occurs to me “where did that giant boar come from?” It has a little black line on the top of it’s back, but the rest of it is tan/red/brown. I’m sure I couldn’t have put my arms around it’s chest, it’s a BIG hog. As I drop my foot and spin to draw it begins to trot and I am left to simply watch it trot out of range without releasing an arrow. Had I been a swing-draw guy it would have been a great shot. Too bad that long anchor release is the way I shoot.

With my heart still racing I walked over and put my 68” longbow in it’s bed for a picture:

I took a few minutes to collect myself and promptly kicked out two does downwind when I started moving again. Wind was shifting and it was getting closer to time for lunch so I headed back via Blue Lake to visit the statue and spot some gators. Might not have been the most action packed morning, but it was sure good to be among them three days in a row.

Back in camp I caught up with Andrew and Charlie. Charlie let me know I’d gone into Thing Two from the wrong side to see the rooting and offered me another route for future use. Terry and Keith got back to camp and we started going over where we’d seen what kinds of activity. Out in the swamp the pigs were bypassing feeders for Chestnut Oaks. They’d found several trees dropping and they all looked like minefields with all the rooting. I confirmed the Water Oaks were barely being touched, last year they held the heaviest activity. We were about done comparing notes when Joe arrived in camp! We had some good handshakes, stories, and a bit of lunch and we all broke back out of camp for an afternoon hunt.

I took Joe right back to where I’d seen pigs in the morning. None of them blew out and I suspected there were a bunch more in there. We went in a bit late in the afternoon and worked the wind for a few hours. We found tons of activity, but in the river cane it was focused on rotting logs and branches. A few more pieces to the puzzle. We finished up and headed back to camp without jumping any hogs. Sometimes it’s just the way it goes.

On the way back to camp I stopped and picked up a few memory cards. I dropped a little more hog candy at Dave’s Field which had been hit hard in the last 24 hours as the pack in the picture above shows. I also put up a LED light for the monster nocturnal hog, I knew if I was going to get after him it would probably be a late night deal. I also put a few more stakes down on the blind and put a seat in there. Speaking of that big dude, back at camp I found just one misty picture of the guy. At 2:30 in the morning!

A few guys had to cancel at the last minute, so for us this year our camp was full and we all had boots on the ground. The great thing about this time of year is that it’s dark at 6pm and that leaves lots of hours for fires and stories. We did really well on those that night, and we had some awesome steaks to boot! We shared all our gathered info from the day and made a plan for the next morning before our discussions wandered on to many many tales of hunts gone by. Entertainment of this caliber is priceless!

While we were at our fire, creatures were lurking in the swamp…

Thom

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Thom is doing a great job telling the story so far. For those of you who have not been to Andrew's place yet. Here is a photo of a very big old cyprus tree near Hog Lake on the property. I am standing next to it for scale.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
There are some monster trees down there! I love how the swamp looks when there is high water and a big moon near dusk. The sounds of the swamp in the warmer weather is indescribable too!

Last year we started off the thread with a group picture of everyone in camp. I usually travel with an older, but good quality, digital camera with a timer and a cheap tripod. It's awesome to be able to get nice group photos. I did have that setup with me on this trip, but one of our trail cameras captured this picture and we all decided it captured the real spirit of this hunt.

From left to right: Thom, Terry, Andrew holding Harry, Joe, and Keith.

Not exactly chronological to the story, that picture was taken a little further into the week. More on that soon. Here comes day 3...
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Day 3
If there was one low point in the week of hunting for me, it was day 3... Days like this is how we earn the good days.

Now I can't say the day itself was bad. Andrew had some business early in the morning in Columbia so I got to play camp host for a bit of the day. I got up early and cooked up some sausage and eggs for everyone and enjoyed a pot of coffee while the guys were getting themselves ready for the day.

We had decided that a section of the right turkey foot was holding good sign of hogs hitting feeders right at sunrise and it would be a good bet. We looked at the map and created a nice line between 3 stands. Terry would take the one highest up on the hill, I would take the lowest point in the palmettos, and Joe would go all the way back to White Oak for those who know where that is. We went out and were in place before sunrise and sat patiently without any of us seeing or hearing a single hog. Did I mention this was a rough day?

At 11am Terry and I met at the truck and chatted. I had a camera to pick up at Mulberry so we walked out there and retrieved it. We had a great talk on the way and looked at a bunch of sign. Upon return we saw Joe had just arrived and we headed back to camp to regroup to make an afternoon plan over lunch.

You might have noticed I hadn't named a spot for Keith. Poor guy got hit with a killer headache that morning and decided to try to sleep through it. When we got back to camp we found Keith was back to 100% and making coffee. Now Keith and coffee is a whole different story that someone needs to post sometime. As a passionate coffee drinker and an engineer I'm heartily impressed with his coffee ritual!

Andrew wasn't back to camp yet but he left a HUGE boston butt for us to enjoy. Charlie rolled into camp from doing some work on the other end of the property. I pulled that butt out of the oven and put out some awesome local BBQ sauces and we all enjoyed a fantastic lunch while catching up Keith and Charlie on our dismal hunting report from the morning.

Morning stories turned into afternoon planning, and the discussion started sounding pretty depressing. We had gathered a lot of info about their current timetable and preferred food sources, but we couldn't come up with a plan to give us really good odds. We needed more info.

We decided the best way to maximize our chances for the remaining days was to pay some dues and spend a few hours scouting hard. Terry and I made a long list of spots and chores, loaded up stands, sticks, and cameras and headed off into the property. Keith and Joe took their bows into a section that looked good on the map that nobody had been into.

Terry and I put out cameras, setup two stands in the swamp, looked at lots of oaks and acorns, evaluated a lot of trails between food and bedding areas. We found this track where I had the encounter with the big boar the day before.

As if the day wasn't disappointing enough, we went to Dave's Field hoping to be motivated by aggressive rooting and great pictures. The hog candy was still on the ground and only 7 pictures were on the camera. The green LED light and leaving my dirty hunting shirt in the blind the night before was apparently too much for the hogs. I again left that shirt in there and left the light set to a low glow. I did put out a little more hog candy in hopes the sweet smell of it might bring them back. Not good.

I snapped this picture on the way back to camp, just looked nice to me.

Back at camp Andrew had some delicious chicken baked and ready to serve along with some great veggies, etc. Reports from Joe and Keith were equally unimpressive.

Yes, day 3 was a bad day. Now the only exciting part of the night was when we pulled the camera from Terry's stand in the morning and found it had snapped 150 pictures in <20 hours. With a 1 minute delay and single shot settings, this was a lot of activity. There were a bunch of daytime does in there, and as Terry suspected from the muddy trails there were a few different big boars hitting this feeder. Mud stains across all kinds of plants and earth showed there had been a fight the night before. Looking at the camera we believe these were our two contenders, the actual fight was off camera so we never get to see them at the same time.

At least that is something to get you excited after a day like this!
Thom

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Someone needs to kill that beast hog! He's awesome. Ive seen a couple that size down there but they were big red sows and were moving too quick to shoot. Enjoying the tale.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
The sign we saw indicated that some of the hogs have big feet.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Good stuff. Looking forward to the rest!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Love the Tales. Keep them up.   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
What Izzy said about the hog X2

Did anyone get a chance at that beast Thom?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
I tipped my hand a little before closing out the old thread. I didn't get the pig that has haunted my dreams the past few months, but I'm going to try again in April with the Camp hAmbush crew!

I think I've left plenty of hints that this story is about to get much more interesting. Time to get back to writing the next installment!
Thom

PS if any of you guys get a shot at that big boar between now and April I hope you take it!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Day 4
I woke up on day 4 thankful that day 3 was 100% DONE!

We all got up early again and headed to the lodge. Andrew had doubled down on the breakfast pork with bacon and sausage, and the coffee was good and strong. Maybe I should note for folks that haven't been to the new camp that there is one pot for guys like me, and there is a pot of "normal" coffee, not that I ever care to know what's in it. With our gathered intelligence from the day before we decide we need to be on the feeders at magic hour, and then relocate to the chestnut acorns as soon as general rooting time begins. Joe headed for White Oak to be up there prior to the sun cresting, he would then cut into a small group of oaks that were bringing in the hogs. In the meantime Terry would work some exceptional country towards Joe. I would take Keith in as far as the stands at Hog Lake. He would sit there the first hour and then work the winds through the bedding area to the East while keeping an ear to the oaks to his side. I would break out to the hardwood flat at the very tip of the peninsula. There was no doubt there were hogs there, the question was if I could make something happen or not.

Strange how the swamps look so different every time I go back in there off the roads and trails. Sometimes leaves are out, sometimes they are down. Sometimes there is grass and grapes, other times there are none. I tried to keep to the path I knew but it looked so different I quickly lost it. I went to the river and put my left shoulder to it as I traveled with the wind on my right cheek. I was going super slow as I knew I was going right into the heart of some hogs bedroom and it was probably going to come down to who-sees-who-first. Since I was in super sneaky mode, I was lured by a very nice looking log overlooking the Savannah River. It was pretty much a perfect place to sit and relax for a few minutes and catch up on my field notes from the day before. I like to turn short hand into loose paragraphs while still in the field, and this was a beautiful place to do it! I sat typing with my bow on the ground...

Ever get that feeling like you're being watched? I look over my shoulder and there is a good looking whitetail staring straight at me. He's close, seems he'd still be in range of my longbow if he was twice as far. His ears are up and he's on alert, no reason to try to make something happen. I glare at him for a second like he's bothering me and I return to typing on my phone. Now he stomps for my attention. I raise my eyes as if to say "yeah I see you, and I don't care. Please leave" and I return to typing. His rack a very tall and fairly wide for a 6 point, it also had great symmetry and was nearly white. I continued play acting my disgust with his stomping for a few more seconds before he thinks it better to double back the way he came. I paced it out at 13 steps to his prints, but he was uphill so he seemed closer. I considered for a few minutes how I knew he was there. I hadn't consciously heard him, or saw any peripheral movement. I wonder quite a bit if it was a feeling like this that brought that huge boar to his feet two days prior?

I worked the perimeter or the hardwoods for the next couple hours. It was a thick briar overlooking an open (and heavily rooted) white oak flat. I found tons of fresh beds, but I didn't catch any movement or sound of them. Some of the scat was extremely fresh. Invigorated I worked a long circle back to Stiles Field and met up with Keith there. He had worked from Hog Lake back to their on the opposite side of the logging road without seeing a hog. I asked him if he'd mind riding along with me to do a few chores. He didn't seem to be in a big rush to get back to camp so we picked up some memory cards and went back to the old camp. I told Keith it was time to suit up, we were going to go change our luck! I ran the plan past him quickly and I showed him a trail head and we took off down it towards the grass island I'd been resting since day 1. As we approached we could see the grass shaking. We knew this was a nursery so we'd need to be careful of those wet sows. We were praying for a satellite boar, or a small group of young meat pigs.

The first pig came out at 10 yards and was a great looking shiny black hog. We sat and watched. We slipped closer a step at a time. I hoped Keith would have a shot, but it looked like it would be mine. I had a good window and couldn't see a litter in tow. As I started to lift to shoot I saw Keith out of the corner of my eye. He was giving me the thumbs down. They weren't right behind her heels, but she was a young mother too. Three piglets were with her.

Keith points over his shoulder and there is another group. This time at least we see the piglets first and don't get our hopes up. I snapped a picture while Keith scanned the grasses for any more movement. Without detecting any we snuck back to camp for some burgers at least being able to say we'd seen hogs! Lunch was good and the guys came up with afternoon hunting plans.

I watched the guys depart to their afternoon hunt and I pulled out a tripod seat and went to the practice range to shoot some 3D from a seated position. I was shooting dead on, so I prepared my gear for the first night sit and laid down for an hour nap. Waking up rested I did an extra shower and some extra descenting procedures before loading up and heading to Dave's Field.

I settled in and everything looked great. I even took my big camera and set it up on the tripod in video mode just in case they came back in tonight. I sat and waited, and darkness came without anything happening. I saw my LED light turn on as the photo sensor realized it was night. Just a little after 6pm. About 45 minutes later I heard a deer blow and take off, not a good sign!

I waited and waited for the distant sound of rooting and squeals, but they did not come. I had told Andrew I'd only stay until 9pm on my first night out as I didn't want anyone staying up late to confirm my safe return. As it was drawing close to time to pack up I heard a big SNORT!!!  The pack of hogs that was just a few feet from my blind trampled through the darkness back to a safe distance. I listened as they discussed things among themselves in hog speak and decided it would be really cool to flip on my video camera to record the sounds of them carrying on! When I pressed the power button on the camera the display on the back of the camera light up like the sun! OK, maybe not the sun but it did turn my popup blind into a Chinese lantern and sent the hogs running! Dang, several lessons learned. Hopefully those lessons aren't going to be the difference between back straps and tag soup!

Back in camp the guys were just finishing their spaghetti and dessert. Stories were traded and I caught up on all the one's I'd missed earlier in the evening. Most guys were ready to crash but there were a few big logs still on the fire down by the lake so Terry and I decided to watch them burn down for a little bit. Now it's a little after 10pm and we are just sitting there like hunters do; watching the fire, and talking about where the game might be hiding. Then Terry gets all sort of serious and says in a loud whisper "Did you hear that????"....

From across the pond there is some noise coming in, lots of it, and it starts getting LOUD! Shortly thereafter some really ugly sounds start off the bushes and we've got some hog fighting in camp!!! I gotta tell you that was a beautiful racket!!! You can't quite make out the two of us over by the porch light in the picture. Too awesome!

Hogs seen, lessons learned, and we got front row seats for the main event. It was a good day!!! I thought to myself, maybe tomorrow....
Thom

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Thom, thank you for this amazing write-up.  You truly have a gift for placing the reader right there with you.  Reading your recap, I'm ready to pack up and head back down!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Good stuff fellas....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
 :thumbsup:  
Well there is high praise! Thanks guys!

I think day 5 is probably the part of the story most of you have been waiting for. Looking like I should get that posted later today.
Thom

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Good stuff so far Thom but I think it's time to Paul Harvey this thing and give us "the rest of the story".  Good to hear there were lots of sightings!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Enjoying this thread. Only been once. That is a special place. All this talk of hogs makes me want to go back!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
I think you're right Gary! Photos are cropped and uploaded, time to write the end.
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©