3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014  (Read 1430 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gang at Wild Things 2014
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
So cool wish I could have joined in.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Hard to believe how fast time goes by....

This little pine(right foreground) is the one I marked to get to when I killed 'Bride of Horsetail' and 'O'l Hop Along' 30 seconds later back in 2006...

Now, 8 years later.....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
I had a blast....like I said...great food, great property, great guys in camp, and a really great setting at Camp.  And like Thom said, another highlight was listening to hog fights from the fire.  I heard them two nights, and wish the other guys would have been there, but as usuall I was the last to bed.  Thom got his stalk on the 1st night, but I went across the bridge with no bow the last night and got close to the fighting and the LOUD popping of hogs eating hickory nuts.....sounded like they were breaking jaw breakers on an amplifier.

I had some run ins on several occasions, but never saw a hog. Too thick to see them but could see the vegetation moving.  I had to abandon on 3 occasions after hearing little tiny squeals from the little ones.

I also busted on out of a bed in thick cane as I was trying to hunt 'passive aggressive' on all occasions after day 2.  

There are some HUGE hogs on the property, not all pics were shown I don't believe as there was 3 different bruisers on one feeder that Joe and I sat, but they all appeared on camera after dark...WELL after dark.  Full moon and smart old boars.  Harder to kill than a 10 point buck.

I'm still trying to find time to share a few pics of my own....hopefully I'll get to them this week as work has me covered up.

Lord willing...I'll be back next year.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Terry, Its amazing how properties change from year to year.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I think Keith is going to chime in tonight...forgot his password    :D

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Here is a trail camera photo of one of the bruisers that Terry and I both tried to get a shot at. He would come in to the Gumbo Wallow after dark. We sat at that stand a few nights until it was too dark to take an ethical shot, then we would see a trail camera picture of him taken after we left. The moon phase was full, and I suspect that  a few sits during a new moon might have gotten one of us a shot.

Here he is:

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
And he wasn't the only wide-body boar visiting the Gumbo Wallow. Here are two more:

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
There was another spot I hunted called The White Oak, after an old white oak tree that fell over there a few years ago. That location is at the end of a road so it seems secluded. It has a wallow and a corn feeder. The corn feeder is set to go off at 7 AM each morning. One morning I got there at 7:26 AM. The corn was all gone. There was mud splashed up on all of the trees around the wallow, and the water in the wallow was loaded with fresh mud and as thick and brown as a chocolate milkshake. I couldn't have been more than a few minutes behind the hogs.

So, I decided with then and there that I would be at that stand an hour before the feeder was set to go off the next morning.

I was up early, wolfed down some coffee and breakfast and I headed out. I got to the stand on time and settled in. The feeder went off at exactly 7 AM. Within a minute there were six squirrels climbing down six separate tree trunks to hit the corn. They had no idea I was there. Then about 40 yards away I saw two black backs moving above a thick patch of palmetto fronds. I thought "right on time" and I got ready for the shot I was sure would present itself.

Another black back, then another -- and the fronds rustle a bit.

Then, in the middle of the moving palmetto fronds a head sticks up -- a turkey head. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on because my first thought was "what is a turkey doing walking around with hog?" Then I knew that the black backs I saw were the turkey backs as the flock walked around in the palmettos.

I let the turkeys pass and sat another couple of hours, but no hogs that morning.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Me and my son Martin went there last year in march and we had a blast Andrew runs a first class operation.I look forward to returning one day.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »
Just read this one.  Great story.  Thanks for putting it together!
Did anyone ever get one of those bigguns?
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »
There have been several around/over 200 pounds killed this year, and I got one of the really big ones about a month ago.

The one behind me is a very respectable boar, and that guy got an even bigger boar two days earlier on that hunt.

About a week after I killed this one Charlie said he saw one about the same size rooting up Blue Lake Field. Apparently there are more still out there!

HERE  is the whole story if you missed it and are looking for something to read  
Thom

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:00 AM »
Thank you Thom!  I'm in Seattle area now but wife works for airline and flying is free!!  Yippee.  I'm gonna try to get down there....hopefully with a Trad Gang group.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Wow!

You guys really have some good hog hunting there.

I have to take time to book a hunt myself.

Looks great.
Irv Eichorst

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©