3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vintage bear kodiak hunter hunting set up question  (Read 871 times)

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Vintage bear kodiak hunter hunting set up question
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I recently lost my grandfather back in June. Before he passed he gave me his 1967 bear kodiak hunter. ( I think that is the year he purchased it) he told me to take the bow and kill something with it. This year was my first year hunting traditional archery and I was lucky enough to take a nice buck with my longbow. I'm going to focus on killing a turkey in the spring with this bow and a deer in the fall. I was wondering what would be a good hunting set up arrow wise.
The bow is 43 lbs. I draw 28 inches. I have 30 inch xx75 gamegetter arrows and I am shooting a 125 grain point. The arrows are flying like darts and they hit where I look.
Do you guys think this is a sufficent set up for deer? I plan on using 125 VPA penetrator broad-heads. Just looking to hear anyone's advice on this set up and interested to hear about others who shoot the kodiak hunter. Thanks for looking.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vintage bear kodiak hunter hunting set up question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
As long as the broadheads are sharp and fly well, I don't see why that set up won't work. Your grangpa will be proud !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I have a Kodiak Hunter as well;she's 52# and she shoots 30" 2018s with 200 grain heads. They are great bows that are made for hunting but I might retire her just because she would be difficult to replace.
You say the KH you have is a '67? If the first digit in the serial number is a 7 then you have a 1967 (I'm not trying to dispute what your grandfather told you).
Revelation 3:20

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback the first number is a 7, so I think it is a 67 then. I appreciate the info

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
with the older Bear bows  make sure you go at least 10 grains  of arrow weight per pound of bow

example 43 lbs ...at least 430 grain arrow....heavier arrows are easier on the bow....
I shoot 600 grains or more with all my bows regardless of poundage...sometimes 650 grains for 65 lb bows....

just my opinion...what a nice gift....hope you are eaten turkey and deer after your 67 hits home !!!!

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Trubltrubl thanks for the info. I think the xx75 500 are 10.6 grains per inch. They are at 30 inches and with a 125 grain broadhead that should give me 442 grain arrow. Thanks again

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
Those Kodiak Hunters are very underrated.  I used my 1971 Super Kodiak that's 43# as well and bagged a nice spikehorn whitetail two December's ago. I draw about twenty eight inches and was using a three blade Kustom King Trailmaker on a 500 grain arrow.  He only made it thirty yards.  You should be fine.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
I killed my first deer with a 1967 Kodiak Hunter of 43# to be exact which I bought new. I believe I used Microflight #6s with Bear Razorheads.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
Dad gave me a new 68 kodiak hunter, 45#, when I got home from the Marines in 69. I hunt with stone heads on cedar shafts with that thing.  As written it is a very under rated hunting bow.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I have a 50# '72 (green Futurewood) and I hunted it for several years.  Good, practical recurves.

I've seen lots of them rigged for bowfishing.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©