3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wife is interesting in shooting...where to start  (Read 297 times)

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Wife is interesting in shooting...where to start
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Well my wife has mentioned several times, how she would like to start shooting.  I guess she liked archery in school.

Now where to start, I don't want to push her and I know she won't hunt but having her shoot would be a good family activity.

The problem my wife is petite, alittle over 5'0 and barely over 100lbs. I checked her draw at Walmart on one of the draw length bows, and she seems to be right around 24".  

Should I be looking at youth bows?  For her, i'm sure her poundage is going to be low (i'm guessing about 20#)...and if for some reason she didn't keep the sport up i figured i could pass the equipment on to my son.

Any help or direction with getting her started?
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wife is interesting in shooting...where to start
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Drew, sounds like my wife and your wife are about the same build.  I got a Black Rhino longbow for my wife to start shooting.  The are fairly inexpensive and great shooting light poundage bows.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
Yup, get equipment that fits, and performs, as good as you can afford! I found my wife an older target recurve, 40#, and she loves it! Just like with the youngins, ya gotta keep it fun!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
I was looking at those Tim, Thanks...what poundage can she shoot?
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
She has the M-58 in the 40#.  At her draw it is only 30# or maybe a little less.  She seems to handle it pretty good.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
What fireman said, get her good bow and arrows and REAL important armguard,"women's arms get in the string path." Hard to learn if they are wacking their arm and shooting junk. A good used target bow or close out on target bow is a good start.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
hey drew my fiance is about the same build is she right eye dominant or left eye dominant??

btw  my fiance pulls 24" and shoots 38lbs @ 28 bows and has no problem with it
St. Joe River Bows

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
Started my wife on a Martin X200, 35@28". She draws around 24". Arm guards are very important. First shot, my wife welted her arm from elbow to wrist. I got her a full length armguard and everything is fine now. After she shot for a year and was still interested, I got her a used custom recurve. 40#@28". Her 3D scores almost doubled. Needless to say, she was very happy. I got me a hunting partner out of the deal that looks good in her camo:). Good luck

Jon

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
There may be other equipment she may need depending on her build. You may want to speak with a few of the lady archers on here directly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
My wife and daughter are both small. I started my daughter with a wing 40# @28. That turned out to be a bit much for her and when my wife tried it she had trouble also. I ended up buying two older bows one bear and one Ben Pearson bot of them are 35# @28 they fit the bill just fine, they were cheap and vintage bows are cool anyhow, my advise would be go low poundage and used.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
To start her out I'd say try and get her around 25 to 30 lbs at her draw length.

And VM is trying to be politically correct in saying she may need a chest guard depending upon her anatomy.

Smacking a string--be it on your wrist or elsewhere--hurts!!

My wife has a Chek-Mate Falcon Deluxe that worked out pretty well, but I started her too stiff.  It is 41@28, but she only draws about 23".  She can't hold it long...but she insisted that she "had" to have something pretty with clear glass, and it was in stock...

I also had to take a lot off the grip so it would fit her well, but Chek-Mate is known for a very fat grip (sorry Chad, but it is...LOL!!).
All in all, a great bow; if you can find one lighter, I'd jump on it!

And it helps to have someone else (not you!) give her pointers on her form, etc...

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©