3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help Learning to Build Strings  (Read 661 times)

Offline Houston166

• Trad Bowhunter
Help Learning to Build Strings
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Guys,

I'd like to start building my own trad strings.  Can anyone give me a grocery list of the equipment/videos I need?  I have a Tall Tines recurve that's only a few years old so it's fast flight compatible.

Thanks!

H

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help Learning to Build Strings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
Congrats, it's one of the most used skills I have learned in recent years.  Real basic materials are a  flemish string jig, wax and a couple spools of string.  I'm not sure who all has videos but Chad (LBR on tradgang) I believe does.  It's not difficult but there are a few tips that a good video will give you.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Search on Pow Wow and Google internet:

"Building Flemish Bow String"

Lots of stuff plus nice video will keep you busy...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
You can make a string with one spool of material and a spool of serving, but a good serving tool helps a bunch.  A string board helps (Flemish), but not required, and you can make that yourself.  I'd mark it by string length, not bow length, as that is a shot in the dark.

I've been involved with two different string making videos.  I think the second (How to Build a Great Bowstring) is a little better--the camera work is better, and there's more detail on endless strings, but they both have good information.

I've made well over 10,000 strings, and the video is the next best thing to sitting down with me and making a string.  It's start to finish, no shortcuts and nothing is left out.  I don't hide anything, and don't have any secrets.  No smoke and mirrors, no "proprietary measures".

Depending on what part of TN you are in, you may be within a reasonable driving distance of me.  If you are close enough, you can come to my shop and I'll help.  If not, catch me at a tournament and I'll be glad to help.  If you see me at a tournament, chances are I'll be set up with BCY materials and some great deals as well.  First one will probably be the Pre-Spring Arrow Fling in AL, but I also plan to be at the TN Classic in May.

Chad

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
You won't get better help than what Chad can give you. Take him up on his offer and you'll be all set for building excellent strings.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Though Chad knows more about building strings than I will ever know...I have built quite a few and I would add one small but differing opinion...get more than one spool of material.  Get one color for each bundle which will be either two or three.  He is right in that you only need one...but the color difference will be an important aid in keeping track of your bundles throughout the twisting process.  3 rivers (and likely others) sell 1/4 spools. So getting three colors is a reasonably price option.

String making is fun and it is not tricky...but...there are one or two small "tips" that will bring it together the first time.

There is lot's of stuff on the net too as tippit mentioned.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Glad you mentioned that!  I agree on two colors--just forgot (I was noting the bare-bones starter "kit").

In everything but B-55 you can get 1/8# spools, if it helps with the budget.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
H this year I wanted to learn how to build a bow string I could hunt with. I honestly figured I was getting enough information/instructions from YouTube until I bought Chad's video "how to build a great bow string" for me it put ALL the pieces together in a more easily repeatable demonstration. The CD is nice to have if I haven't built in a while I pull it out and replay a section as I twist to refresh my memory.

I'm no pro but the basics now seem simple and I'm grateful to have learned what ,to me, is another traditional archery skill. Chad is on my list of hands to shake... maybe at Denton Hill.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
I just started making strings over the summer, so the process is still pretty fresh in my memory banks.  The first thing I did is buy Chad's (LBR) DVD, "How to Build a Great Bowstring". You can get it at 3Rivers or direct from Chad.  The DVD contains information for making a flemish string jig, which I did, but you can also buy a jig from 3Rivers for about 20 bucks.  Next, I called Chad and he set me up with everything else I needed.  He has great prices on string and serving material, plus Chad is a super nice guy who is extremely willing to help.

My first couple strings were either too short, too long or too twisted (not enough back twist), but after about the third one, I was happy enough with the results that I put it on my bow and I've been shooting it for the past few months.

Good luck to you!

David

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Chad's the Man!
I'd drive clear across the State if I could visit his shop.     :thumbsup:  

BTW...
Chad, thanks for the info on .032 powergrip! So far so good and at this point in time and it's working well as an adjustable string nock.

16 strand BCY X with .032 Powergrip

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Who makes the .032 powergrip....?

Guessing it really helps with the lower strand count strings..

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
"How to build a great bowstring" taught me. Highly recommend it.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Ryan,  What is the diameter of your finished string?  Currently shooting 8 strand D10 but I'd like to try BCY X and keep it the same diameter.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Pat, Power Grip is BCY's newest serving material.  If you want to try it give me a holler and I'll see what I can do to help.

16-18 strands of X should be equivalent to 8 strands of Dynaflight '10.  X is about 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97, and if I remember correctly '10 is a slightly larger strand than '97.

Thanks for the good word!

Chad

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks Chad.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Pete, under tension, it's about .075 in diameter +/- .002

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan,  Gives me a good starting point.  I measured my 8-D10 and it came it at .062.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Something that may make a difference...some colors are thicker than others.  White is the thinnest, the fluorescent colors are the thickest.

Reason being is the colors aren't dyes, they are a coating.  White gets no coating.  The brightest colors require more coats to get the colors right.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I understand Chad, thanks.  Just trying to get a close approximation of finished string thickness.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
The more twist you put in the "fatter" the string will be also.  Just thought of that.

Also should mention, for anyone needing material, check with me.  I have some "specials" periodically.  Never know just what I'll have or what colors or how much, but it will be a bargain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©