3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fighting new batch of Woodsman heads  (Read 583 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Fighting new batch of Woodsman heads
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Hey, you Old Pros!

I've been using WW broadheads for the past 5 years, and have gotten very adept at sharpening them.

Last night, I sharpened two old heads for today's opener (one took two deer last year!) and then reached for a new one to add to my "back-up" stash.  I bought a dozen new heads this summer to have on hand.

I am sharpening with a one year old 12" Nicholson file that did a great job on the first heads.  BUT, when I went to the new ones, I couldn't get the file to cut- it seemed like the steel was much harder or something. The tail portion seemed to cut normally, but the middle and tip pretty much skid along unscathed.  Tried a second new head, and then a third, with much the same results.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I sorta feel like I've been betrayed by an old friend.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fighting new batch of Woodsman heads
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
They might just be a little harder Daryl. I believe I'd try a fresh file before cussing too much at the heads. Good luck!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Same results this weekend, one nasty bow/arch in the blade.  Took one heck of a time (and pressure) on the file.  Apparently not as good (manufacturing) as when the Wensel Bros. had control.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
I had a bit of trouble too. Seems that the blades are not 100% straight. Some may have had a reaction to the welding process and (pulled in to center) I guess. Took some time but I got them good and sharp!

I Dig These Broadheads! ... ALOT!!! ... Glad it worked out.

... mike ...  :)
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
That is so funny because I had the same thing happening to me lastnight with mine.I went back in the members video's just to make sure I was sharpening the way Charlie Lamb shows how and I was doing them right. I noticed that mine are curved in the middle and I have to put a lot of pressure in the middle to get them to touch the file.Is there any recall on these heads or is this just how they are made? Keefers <")))><

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
I tried sharpening a few Razorcaps on last years 12" Nicholson, and the file did not cut. I thought the steel in the broadheads was too hard, but before giving up, I bought a new file. It cut like a dream and made very short work od sharpening the heads. I also bought a file brush and use talc. on the file between heads. I had never cleaned my file before, but after reading several posts, decided to give it a try, and it makes a big difference! Got a few WWs from a friend to sharpen for him. Gonna tackle them tonight and I'll let you know the results. Are you using a black magic marker on the blades to see where you are cutting? Might take a lot of work to get the high areas cut down to where the rest of the edge is making good contact with the teeth. Good luck.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
I have seen this curve in the blade over and over , I sent some back to be replace and they came back the same way...also had to really work on em to get true spin as the insert wasn't straight.. that was enough G5 montecs this year...unless i can find a single bevel left wing in 125??
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Tom, you may be right.  The file was still working so well on the older heads that I thought the problem was the steel in the new ones.  The old heads, though, were ALSO perfectly flattended and needed very little to be sharp again.  The new ones needed more modifcation to overcome what manufacturing had left behind to true them up.

I will give a new file a try, and suspect that will answer the question.  In the mean time, I'll try carding my file again and try to get another head or two up and running in case some deer decide to get in my way!

Thanks for the input!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
Send 'em back to 3 rivers and see what they say?

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
New ones that I've gotten recently are not ground very straight, as others have mentioned.  It sometimes takes me 60 or more passes on the file to get them straight.  Once they are straight they will sharpen to a razor edge easily.
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
I took Terry's advice and used my belt sander with a fairly fine grit belt (I think mine is 180 or 220 grit)...Mark the blades with a Sharpie, keep them flat and do all three sides evenly. Cuts them down very quickly and just dang near sharp enough to hunt with when you are done!!
I keep a saucer of water on my bench to keep them cool, hold them with your fingers, you'll know when to cool them off  :)
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Did sander last night on two.  Didn't want to overdo it so I had to use the file with medium force for several rounds to get rid of all the black marking.  Seems pretty sharp now.  I've got to do the other two tonight.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Yep, a belt sander is a real time saver on the Woodsmans.  Like ylee I keep water handy, and use leather gloves.  Be very careful, but it sure does make quick work of them.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
I have no problem sharpening my ww with a chainsaw raker file try one u wont be sorry . Art

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
I guess my concern is "what is going on"? I think that the folks at Three Rivers should chime in and comment. If these heads are not right than we should know about it. tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath....

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Bob,

Mike SOhm (magnus) makes these heads, I'd be suprised he'd let them go, after all he has one helluva reputation.

A tip for sharpening, I havent tried it yet on anything other then spoke shaves, plane blades, and my bowyers edge blade.

Use sand paper to sharpen on!

Start out with your file to get things trued up.

Take piece of glass, or an endtable what have you, and lay a sheet of paper on it.  Start with 150, then 180, then 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 grits.  Use wet/dry paper, should be able to find in automotive stores easy enough.  

I have a hankering this might be my solution to the WW sharpening wo's I have with a file alone.  

If you want this sharpening method for blades, look up scare sharp plane blades, or scary sharp blade sharpening, you'll find it.  It wokrs like a champ.  Obviously you wont need the veritas jig for doing your bowyers edge or your WW/snuffers.   You will need something for doing blcok plane and spoke shave blades.

It's really quick, much quicker then youd think.  Once you get to 400 grit it's super fast to polish, so if you notice at 150 or 180 you aren't quite flat yet, either go back to a courser grit or keep working it before going finer.  It really polish's and edge!!!!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
The pack I recently got did have severly warped blades that made sharpening a bit more difficult. I'll bet this is from the welding process heating up the blades. I still got them sharp, but these are certainly not the quality controled heads I had in my kit that were purchased some years ago.

My plain old DOUBLE CUT 14" mill file gets them wicked sharp...you just have to use the method outlined in multiple threads on TG here. Mainly, use the magic marker to mark them initially, work it until the marks are all gone rotating each stroke. Progressively lighter strokes until the weight of the head alone is used. It works so well I kick myself for not learning it sooner.

A single cut works well too...but I like the edge left with the double cut and feather-lite passes. Hair popping sharp but still very "grabby"...don't rake it down your arm cause it will certainly take more skin than hair off.

Belt sander, "scary sharp" method, files...they all work in sharpening WW's.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Regardless of the method, it is, as JC stated, not the quality it used to be.  The inward bow of the blade takes a significant bit of file/grinding (whatever method you choose)to remove, and that quite frankly wasn't happening before. I have opened two packs, one recently obtained from 3-R, and one that is 1+ years old from a buddy, both had the problem, so that tells me it isn't a "individual batch problem".  A really "old" card from Wensel Bros, are much better in comparison.  I'm disappointed, but like the heads, so I have to bear with it.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Guys, I've noticed some of the same things you're talking about over the years, and I was also curious since we carry Woodsmans at Braveheart, so I asked Magnus what was up.

Anyway, they said despite rumors or assumptions to the contrary Magnus has always made the Woodsman and still does.  They are in the process of building a new grinding machine, which they describe as part of "normal maintenance".

I can only surmise perhaps some of the issues you've noted are due to the old grinding machine having seen better days.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©