3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best bow for hog hunting?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Ruan Carvalho Bosque

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the best bow for hog hunting?
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
I don´t have a lot of money so i need something at maxs of 500 bucks i like longbows but i know that a recurve may be the best so, say your opinion.
I am thinking about a Falco Storm, but if you know something better by the price let me now!

P.S:Max draw of 55# at 28"

Sorry I forgot to say :"In your opinion"
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best bow for hog hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Check out JK Traditions Kanati Longbows. Very reasonably priced and great shooters. Jason in listed in the Sponsor list. Good hunting. Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
The one that fits your hand!   :archer2:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Birdbow:
Check out JK Traditions Kanati Longbows. Very reasonably priced and great shooters. Jason in listed in the Sponsor list. Good hunting. Todd
I forgot to mention I am from Brazil so I'm gonna need someone who´s ships to here...
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
The Bow that feels the best, as well as, shoots the best for you and you only.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by GREASEMAN:
The Bow that feels the best, as well as, shoots the best for you and you only.
In the state I live i think I am the only one with a tradbow, so i need your opinions...
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
And who says a recurve is best ??

Pretty broad statement.

I like and shoot longbows, real Hill style longbows !

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I've killed a bazillion hogs with my longbow. If you prefer longbows, that is what you should get. You can get just about any bow you want used with a $500 budget!

Bisch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I've killed a bazillion hogs with my longbow. If you prefer longbows, that is what you should get. You can get just about any bow you want used with a $500 budget!

Bisch
And wich longbow it is?
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
There are a bunch of really good bows out there, and it all comes down to personal preference! From reading above, it sounds like you don't have the opportunity to form a preference. My favorite is the Sarrels Blueridge. Others will recommend what they like, I'm sure!

Good luck with your quest for your new bow!

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Right now there is a 53# Schafer Silvertip 64" takedown longbow listed in the classifieds for $675.  Schafer Silvertip is considered one of the very best bows made.  This is a slightly used bow, but is close enough to your budget that I thought I would bring it to your attention, because this is significantly less than you would pay for a new bow of this quality.

Anyone can ship to Brazil. They just need to go to UPS or whoever you want to use as a shipper and get a price.  You will probably have to pay the excess over domestic US shipping. Are there any import duties you will have to pay?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
From where you live, a Samick Red Stag is a pretty good shooting recurve at a very reasonable price and with shipping would be under $500.00.  

Personally, I am a recurve guy.  I own three and just bought a zipper longbow but it is a short bow and has a recurve riser.  With recurve limbs, it would shoot a little smoother and faster than with longbow limbs.  I don't think anybody can deny that recurves shoot faster and draw smoother.  In the end, it is up to the individual.

Don't worry guys.  I'm prepared to get blasted.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Right now there is a 53# Schafer Silvertip 64" takedown longbow listed in the classifieds for $675.  Schafer Silvertip is considered one of the very best bows made.  This is a slightly used bow, but is close enough to your budget that I thought I would bring it to your attention, because this is significantly less than you would pay for a new bow of this quality.

Anyone can ship to Brazil. They just need to go to UPS or whoever you want to use as a shipper and get a price.  You will probably have to pay the excess over domestic US shipping. Are there any import duties you will have to pay?
60% On the whole cost...
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Ruan

Please understand that it is impossible for anyone to truly only list one bow that fits you. There are many great bows being made, and yet they don't all fit everyone. It would be impossible for us to pick a bow for you, it's something you need to best answer for yourself by doing as much research and speaking with bowyers.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Ruan

Please understand that it is impossible for anyone to truly only list one bow that fits you. There are many great bows being made, and yet they don't all fit everyone. It would be impossible for us to pick a bow for you, it's something you need to best answer for yourself by doing as much research and speaking with bowyers.
Sorry if I was unclear, i want to know about bows for hunting hogs, at a max of 55#28" draw I am showing a bow which is small, fast,quietly,and is stable(I only know it by reviews so I am not shure).
I just put a price limit because I am a selfish person.
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Ruan...im shooting a wes wallace mentor 51@28 and while ive shot no hogs it is very fast, dead in the hand and one of the smoothest bows ive pulled. I would have no problem taking it hunting and I am in april in Texas. Wes makes an awesome bow and they are priced right.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Really, there is no best bow to hunt hogs with. Anything more than 45-50# should work fine. Just depends on what you like to shoot the best.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
There are many bows that would fit the bill for hogs.  The trick is find one that works well for you as well.  International shipping of one piece bows is tough at best, so a takedown is a good idea.  Here is a link to one in the classifieds:     http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=216;t=000018#000000  

I have a very similar Pronghorn and it is a great hunting bow, whether for hogs or anything else.  The price on this one is pretty good too.

Jason Kendall has a new 47 lb Kanati in the Sponsor's Classifieds.  At 58" it is probably shippable.  Very good bow and at $400 it won't be available for long.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I want to buy a new bow or customize one probably a Kanati or a falco storm.
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Would prefer one with a little wolf in it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©