3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best bow for hog hunting?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best bow for hog hunting?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
There is no "best" bow for anything.  There is only what works best for you.  If you are doing spot and stalk hunting in typical nasty hog areas, a short(er), handy bow might be a good choice over a longer bow. You could get one of the various ILF risers in a shorter length and put some inexpensive ILF limbs on it  for a reasonable price, and they can be found used for much less.  Lots of people also make longbow limbs for ILF bows, so you could mix and match.  You are going to have a hard time getting a custom wood bow for that price new, but there are many used.  You also don't need 55lbs to kill a hog, although if you can shoot that weight there is nothing wrong with doing so.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Ruan Carvalho Bosque

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
There is no "best" bow for anything.  There is only what works best for you.  If you are doing spot and stalk hunting in typical nasty hog areas, a short(er), handy bow might be a good choice over a longer bow. You could get one of the various ILF risers in a shorter length and put some inexpensive ILF limbs on it  for a reasonable price, and they can be found used for much less.  Lots of people also make longbow limbs for ILF bows, so you could mix and match.  You are going to have a hard time getting a custom wood bow for that price new, but there are many used.  You also don't need 55lbs to kill a hog, although if you can shoot that weight there is nothing wrong with doing so.
Actually you need a relatively fast bow or a perfect placement to put a hog down with a trad bow they have the vitals very protected,and there are people were I live that can get me good custom bows for the price range of 500 dollars, I just want to know the ones from trad gang sponsorS that you know thats is good and is in that range price.
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
I've shot a few hogs, a 45lb bow will kill them dead as a hammer.  A fast bow won't matter a bit if you hit them in the wrong place, although speed is good if it doesn't cost you in some other area.  I don't know of any custom bows that you can get new for $500; closer to $700 when you get into true custom bows.  Wes Wallace offers his Pardner, a basic actionwood recurve with no frills, for about $650 last I checked, and that's the best deal I can think of for a top bowyer's work.  It shoots the same as his top of the line Mentors, it just doesn't have the flash factor.  Bob Lee used to offer a Hunter model that was a good buy, but I think they've gone up a lot.  Martin Hunters are fairly reasonable, too, though not a true custom.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
I've shot a few hogs, a 45lb bow will kill them dead as a hammer.  A fast bow won't matter a bit if you hit them in the wrong place, although speed is good if it doesn't cost you in some other area.  I don't know of any custom bows that you can get new for $500; closer to $700 when you get into true custom bows.  Wes Wallace offers his Pardner, a basic actionwood recurve with no frills, for about $650 last I checked, and that's the best deal I can think of for a top bowyer's work.  It shoots the same as his top of the line Mentors, it just doesn't have the flash factor.  Bob Lee used to offer a Hunter model that was a good buy, but I think they've gone up a lot.  Martin Hunters are fairly reasonable, too, though not a true custom.
I know one but he isn´t a sponsor so i can´t tell you in here.
And about the hog hunting, did you stalked him, and hit the vitals for behind without hitting the ribs?
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Ruan, I think you will find that a lot of our crew here have hunted hogs, many of them hunt hogs all the time.  They stalk them, they sit in trees, they do it a lot of ways but stalking is done all the time here, especially in our southern states and in California.

It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want or need, and are just looking for someone with experience to concur.  The problem is, those that hunt them (a lot) use recurves, and longbows, and selfbows, they use heavy bows (over 60 lbs draw) and they use lighter bows (as low as low 40 lb and some even lower than that).  All of them work.

Near the top of the Pow Wow page, you will see a thread regarding "where to aim".  There is great information there for you, real information from folks that do this a lot.

Searches on hog hunt threads will show you that, no one bow (or bow style) is used and no one bow draw weight is used.  

BUT, they probably ALL used well flying  (tuned) arrows, good sturdy broadheads that were made very sharp, and they all shot the animal in a good place.  

Hogs are generally shot from fairly close.  Under 20 yards and very often under ten yards.  You need to be capable at those sort of ranges, and yes, you CAN get that close.

There are a lot of used bows available on the market, there are a lot of new bows (but remember, many require a wait for at times well over a year because of those "in line" before you.

Good luck.  I hope you find a bow you like for not too much money.  Practice, and go get a boar.  Then post pictures here !
ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Ruan, I think you will find that a lot of our crew here have hunted hogs, many of them hunt hogs all the time.  They stalk them, they sit in trees, they do it a lot of ways but stalking is done all the time here, especially in our southern states and in California.

It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want or need, and are just looking for someone with experience to concur.  The problem is, those that hunt them (a lot) use recurves, and longbows, and selfbows, they use heavy bows (over 60 lbs draw) and they use lighter bows (as low as low 40 lb and some even lower than that).  All of them work.

Near the top of the Pow Wow page, you will see a thread regarding "where to aim".  There is great information there for you, real information from folks that do this a lot.

Searches on hog hunt threads will show you that, no one bow (or bow style) is used and no one bow draw weight is used.  

BUT, they probably ALL used well flying  (tuned) arrows, good sturdy broadheads that were made very sharp, and they all shot the animal in a good place.  

Hogs are generally shot from fairly close.  Under 20 yards and very often under ten yards.  You need to be capable at those sort of ranges, and yes, you CAN get that close.

There are a lot of used bows available on the market, there are a lot of new bows (but remember, many require a wait for at times well over a year because of those "in line" before you.

Good luck.  I hope you find a bow you like for not too much money.  Practice, and go get a boar.  Then post pictures here !
ChuckC
I am probably gonna be stalking them for take pictures before to go to Hunter in our winter.
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Not a primary consideration, but there may be significant costs added to the shipping if you get a longer bow. I am no longer knowledgable about international shipping.  There also maybe restrictions on the length you may ship.  If you are having a custom bow made, be sure to ask the bowyer to check on current size restrictions for International shipping.

So, you might consider getting a two or three  piece take down
Bow for not much more than a longer bow once you factor shipping in.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
Not a primary consideration, but there may be significant costs added to the shipping if you get a longer bow. I am no longer knowledgable about international shipping.  There also maybe restrictions on the length you may ship.  If you are having a custom bow made, be sure to ask the bowyer to check on current size restrictions for International shipping.

So, you might consider getting a two or three  piece take down
Bow for not much more than a longer bow once you factor shipping in.
The Falco bow Storm is short enough to ship.
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
That is good.  In the USA,  you can run into surcharges on top of shipping if the length exceeds a certain length.  Just wanted make sure you were aware of that. At least that was the way it used to be.  Good luck finding your bow.

By the way I recently bought a used Shrew longbow (55#) from a tradgang member that would have been in your price range. It is my second Shrew and I am very happy with it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
No 'best bow', but Lost Creek makes some shooters in that price range.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Ruan, unless you are dead set on a custom wood bow, I would recommend a metal ILF riser, which can be had as short as 13" and will take any ILF limb made.  The riser will run you $400-500 for a good one, but there are several ILF limbs in the $100 range that are very good.  Bob Morrison (metal or wood), Dryad (wood risers), Trad Tech, Sky, and others offer these bows with various options, but any of them take ILF limbs by any maker.  The aluminum risers are bombproof and they are all highly adjustable, and you can get an unlimited variety of limbs in different weights and lengths for the perfect bow for you.  Value wise, they are much better than a custom wood bow, although I understand the appeal of wood and like them myself.  As to where I've shot the hogs, I've shot them between the shoulder blades from above and through the chest from the side, quartering away.

Offline thumper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Try the Samick Sage first.  It's cheap, a good solid recurve, and a tack driver at 45#.

Lancaster Archery Supply can set you up.  It's a takedown, so shipping won't be as painful.

It'll give you a bow to shoot, and an opportunity to look around more for that one bow you really, REALLY, want.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by thumper2:
Try the Samick Sage first.  It's cheap, a good solid recurve, and a tack driver at 45#.

Lancaster Archery Supply can set you up.  It's a takedown, so shipping won't be as painful.

It'll give you a bow to shoot, and an opportunity to look around more for that one bow you really, REALLY, want.
I already have a bow to shoot, and I prefer a longbow,because its more silently, when buying my first bow I thought abut buying a Sage,but I found a bow that as a 30 year warranty,and I love it I would hunt with it,if it wasn´t so long so I am waiting to buy one custom made in january 15.
And sadly I just found that the dollar is at 2,736 real so i wont be able to buy my bow until it drops again...
_ _ __________ _  _
RD Stick Long

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I have a 60" Maddog Prairie Predator 52#, that I really like, (in your price range).  Check out Maddog archery online.  Mike can build you one like you want. Its a reflex longbow, shoots sweet and fast. He also makes recurves.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
I believe the Trad Tech IlF bows will take longbow limbs, too.  So will Dryad and Morrison IlFs.  You can do either one, as you like.  The Dryads are nice looking and very fast.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©