3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help with split finger pinch  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
help with split finger pinch
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
So ive been working on shooting more lately. Been useing a [email protected] longbow to work on things. Had been 3 under shooter but split feels better however when I shoot split I get very bad top finger pressure to adjust for this in the past I raise my nock point very high. So ive been working on it but still seem to get pinch. On the 47# longbow I have goten much better btw longbow is 68inch amo...now move to 64 inch [email protected] recurve and finger pinch is way bad. 3 finger under and im on target split and I shoot constantly 3 to 4 inch high...should I just give up and shoot 3under?
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with split finger pinch
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
I'm no expert...i put most of the weight of the string on my middle finger...others more knowledgable than me will have more help
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
I have to be careful also. I put tension on the string,and try to pull back with my shoulders more than just my arm. I also try to be very conscious of not torquing my fingers counter clock wise.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
If you are shooting the same anchor, split will lower the nock end and will normally shoot higher than 3 under.  As for the bad finger pressure, find a coach who understands finger release or check Moebo's youtube clips.  You didn't mention your draw length, but a 64" recurve shouldn't pinch until about 40".
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
No expert either, lower your elbow on the drawing hand get it in horizontal plan with the arrow
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I shoot split, but, I drop or remove my index or top finger from the string at anchor. In other words I actually shoot 2 fingered ( just the bottom 2. This eliminates the finger pinch, which used to be bad, and makes for a more crisp release and less tendency to torque the string. Once I got used to shooting this way it has worked really well for me. This is a "secret" I got from a great shooter and coach.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I've started pulling predominantly with my middle finger and immediately noticed smaller groups and cleaner releases. A well known coach taught me that technique as well.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Saltwatertom...I seem to be doing that on the lower poundage bow but seems harder to do on the higher poundage...I think im really gonna try the draw arm more horizontal my tends to ride up...thanks all
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
A high elbow at full draw tends to put undue pressure on the ring finger. I shoot a 2 finger under method taught me by Dan Toelke. The index finger rests lightly on the top of the shaft, the middle and ring finger are under. With the string settling between the last and middle digits of both fingers with DEEP hooks, load the middle finger first and try to hold 80% of draw weight there. It provides a clean, consistent release and finger pinch becomes an afterthought.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Yes, with split finger your arrows will be higher, just takes some time to recalibrate the shot.  As far as finger pinch, have you tried a finger splitter on a tab?

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys I have looked at dans 2 finger tab my try it this off season...moe I have tried a tab with the anti pinch doesn't seem to help...as far as split being lower am I just hurting my self going back and forth? Maybe I just need to pick one and stay? Seem to just go to split on habit and I'm afraid if I stay 3 under while hunting I may flip and miss a shot.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
I also learned to shoot the way Jim Wright does from Dan Toelke.
I use one of his tabs. It works great for me.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Jumped from 47 to 62#..30.5/31.5:  that's your DL correct?  and finger/fingers  is/are hurting?  Thats a lot of weight to jump to without taking it slow and patient...Sounds like finger/fingers are just not used to the weight and its affecting your release? You shouldn't be getting actual 'finger pinch' from the string on a 68 or 64" bow at that DL from the string being at too sharp an angle.  It will just take time for your fingers to toughen up in the connective tissue to make them less sensitive to pulling more weight.  Three under is more comfortable because your three fingers are pulling as more of a unit.  With split you just need to focus on getting your form and shoulder/elbow/wrist alignment right since it sounds like you're pulling way to much with your index finger.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
There was a time that I experienced finger pinch. As it turns out, I was actually rolling my fingers out as I was drawing. The arrow nock was grinding against the edge of my finger as it passed. By the time I hit anchor, I didn't have much finger left on the string. After a few shots, my index finger would get really  sore.

I solved the problem once I realized what was causing it. I now keep my deep hook all the way back to anchor and then expand to release...no more pinch. I have a 31 1/2"+ draw and prefer a 64" RD longbow, or a 58" forward handle RD longbow
or a 60" recurve. I also wear a 2xl glove when I can find one.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
No I've been shooting the 62 longer just started the lower pound again to work on form...also my dl is the front of bow to nok groove right? Well then it has to change with different bows...the recurve has more handle than the longbow...I know my true dl won't change but per bow it does and that requires longer arrows changing spine and such. Anyway fingers don't really hurt as they are used to the 62# I guess I'm not really getting pinch as much as I'm getting too much pressure on the nock and more so from the 62#er than the lower pound bow.keep it coming guys I'll try anything always wanna be better.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Take a break.  Take 2 weeks off, recover your fingers, and have someone who is a good mentor help you start from scratch.  You will unlikely figure it out with the residual pain from over use and the pinching.  Practice with a light bow to get form right. IMO.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Your fingers should be in line vertically with the string. If you cant the bow and pull with your fingers straight it will cause finger pinch.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
That is a very, very long draw length.  You might need a longer bow on a curve.  A 23 or even 25" ILF riser with medium or long limbs will give a much better string angle for a draw that long, although that can be cumbersome to hunt with.  Static tip curves also tend to give better string angles at full draw, helping with finger pinch.  I have a 28" draw and like 64" recuves because of the better string angle.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
When I had the same problem it was because my elbow was getting way too high, made that adjustment and all was well again.  I had a clicker on my bow that was setup too long, I think the additional weight I was trying to pull was causing my form to suffer

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Sounds like your string elbow might be too high, and when you release, your keeping your index finger on longer than the others.

Try lowering your string elbow, and try using a tab.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©