3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I am bow sick and need help!  (Read 381 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
I am bow sick and need help!
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a VPA 13" ILF riser w/medium grip. Got it in the Autumn Orange just to be different. (My way to make me feel good after my eighth unsuccessful season! So, don't judge me!!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I am bow sick and need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Hi TW,
Looks like a nice riser. Don't know for sure but I bet Jim Belcher at Sky Archery makes that riser for them. If VPA can't give you the information, I would give Jim a call and see if he can tell you what the weight rating is. On the ILF rig that I have, I like it with the bolts all the way down. I have a 15 inch TT Black Onyx with 50 pound Black Max Glass/Wood short recurve limbs. Haven't scaled it but it feels like I am pulling 56 pounds @ 28. It shoots amazing and is nice and compact at 56 inches AMO. I draw just under 27 inches so no issues with stack or finger pinch. I am thinking with your 29 inches the Longs are a good choices.

Don't worry about the sickness. A lot of us have it. I'm saving my pennies for a 13 inch Dryad Epic Riser in the coming new year.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Don't now a thing about ILF, buthave fun with your new rig, TW!

Bisch

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Not 100% sure about the pocket angles on that riser, but a pair of 40@28/17" riser B'Max limbs should get you in the range you wanna be.  

Please please skip the Black Max Glass/Woods and pay a little extra and go for the Black Max Carbon/Woods, trust me!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
You just found out your bow sick.........   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    I could have told you that 2-3 years ago.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Double....sorry.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it. I may go for the carbon and glass but, I may also try and save up for a set of Sky Archery limbs. Jim Belcher makes a set for that riser and is sold through VPA. And they are a sponsor here.

Ron, you probably could have told me that but, not sure I would have listened!   :D

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I have several sky risers and limbs. The limbs   are just exquisite limbs, perfect fit and very functional.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Have you seen Bigfoots new ILF. Check them out before you buy. The numbers I saw on them are outstanding.

God bless, Steve

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks Steve and I did see it but, wanted to go with a metal riser. The 13" will give me a good short bow for some of the brushy areas I hunt in up here in the Northern part. Plus, it was quite a bit less in price for a poor man like me!   :D

Right now I'm inventorying some things to see what I can do with out to fund a set of limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©