3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lost hunt pictures FOUND (pic heavy)  (Read 838 times)

Online stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
Lost hunt pictures FOUND (pic heavy)
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
This years hunting started on Nov. 05 even though the 2014 bow season opened on the 1st. Work and other obligations seemed to have left me a very narrow window to hunt in this season.

I had intended to go into an area that held good elk numbers and also held a mineral lick that I like to hunt. I got a later start than I preferred so I decided to check out another area that I had seen good whitetail movement in this August.

It was a beautiful morning which would turn hot later but right now it just felt good to be out on the mountain. Have you ever noticed how when you get away from all the stresses of every day work and spend your first morning with your bow in your hand, pack on your back and the wind in your face that all seems right with your world once again? It was good to smell the pines, really hear the rustle of the wind in the birch and aspen leaves and once again feel the earth breath. I could feel this feeling of contentment slowly creeping over me and all was right with my world again.

I had worked into a small draw that funnels the deer up from a feeding area to some ledges that are fairly thick and used for bedding on. There was a well used trail angling above me with a massive root ball from a blown over pine tree about 15 yards from the trail that would make a great natural blind so I hunkered down with my Bear recurve and enjoyed the morning.

I had just got situated when along comes a doe with twins in tow. Those two little ones were still in full spots and running all over the place playing. It was a pleasure just to watch them and they seemed in no great hurry to follow mom up the trail. One of them came sliding right up to the root ball and I could have reached out and touched him but hay, that would have ended their fun and I was enjoying this to much to interfere with their game. They hung around for several minutes before deciding to continue up the trail to follow mom.

I had been sitting there for some time as the morning heated up and the wind currents had changed. It was about 8:00 and I was thinking of heading down when off to my right and down the trail I seen a deer coming. It was a spike buck and legal to take but he was going to get a pass as I had enjoyed the morning just watching the day come alive. Suddenly I noticed two more bucks behind him, one was a small three point and the last one in line was a young four point. I had to give my head a shake to remind myself what I was doing out there.

I new that if I wanted an opportunity to take the back buck, I would have to shoot him before the spike hit my scent stream. The spike came opposite to me on the trail then it was the three point. I put tension on the string and hoped the four point would give me the shot before the spike winded me. Finally the four point was positioned on the trail for a shot and the spike still hadn't hit my scent trail.

Everything went into auto mod, I don't remember my release and those 60# limbs drive that 520 grain arrow faster than my eye could follow at 15 yards. There was a loud crack and the deer was taken off his feet and rolled down the hill to my right. I had spined him and it required a second arrow to dispatch him.

Although extremely happy to have gotten him I was pretty shaken up by having to use the second arrow to finish him.

I didn't take a lot of pictures as it was getting hot and I wanted to get him dressed and off the mountain.

Now this is where the lost pictures come in, as some of you know my trade hunting journey started in the fall of 2012 with the hanging up of my rifles and the sale of my 4 compond bows.

I was blessed with the opportunity to take a magnificent bull elk and post the story here.

Now later that year I went on our annual mule deer hunt and harvested a great mule deer but did not post the story as I couldn't find or remember (senior moment) where the pictures were.

When I down loaded the pics from this years white tail there all the pictures were from the 2012 mule deer hunt. I'm not sure if it is right to post the story and pictures of a hunt that happened two years ago but if so I'll let you decide if you are interested.

I'll post the picture of the start of that hunt only at this time.

The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Re: Lost hunt pictures FOUND (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Bring 'em on! You can't start a yarn like that here and not finish it!

Bisch

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
agreed.  keep it coming!
is it September yet??

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Most of my stories are old.

Let's here em.    :campfire:  

Nice animals! Congratulations!
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Post it! I wanna hear it!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
:campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Yes absolutely. Lets here this tale.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
WOW -- how very cool! cant wait for more -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Zano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Sorry, no pass allowed now!    :archer:
"You never can tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump." ~ Jim Willis...Test pilot & horse trainer extraordinaire

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Congrats on two gorgeous animals!! Bring on the story
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
No better place or time for a good hunt thread!  Bring it.  Great animals!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Well we need to set the stage a little. Every year for the last several years I have been able to take off a week in Nov. and go after mulies in the high country. My partner for these hunts is a young man of strong character with unwavering beliefs. I have tried countless times to get him to put down his smoke pole and pick up the stick and string but to no avail. He tried a wheeled contraption for a short period but that is as close as I could get him. Dwayne is tough, young and smart, all of the things I lack and is a bear for packing so I tend to overlook his non trad faults at camp.

For the fall hunt of 2012 I had decided to go trad only which included my take-down bear recurve shooting trad lite arrows tipped with 175 gr woodsmans. Dwayne had commented that he intended to help reduce the wolf problem we had experienced in the last few seasons and he wouldn't mind a hand with that. I told him I was more than willing to stick a quill in any wolf that happened along. My partner made some disparaging comment about senile seniors and their thoughts of grandeur and of course I smiled, nodded my head and agreed with him.

So with these thoughts and comments behind us we were off on a beautiful day and a 3 hour hike into our hunting area.

About the time I was trying to fake a heart attach to get my partner to tote my pack our camp came into view. Still standing and very welcoming.

These are a few pics of the country we had traveled through to reach camp.

The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Online stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
It was good to be back to our prefab cabin that is made in 4x4 foot panels and can be built or dismantled within half a day. Even though it measures only 8 feet by 8 feet we keep very comfortable.

Our kitchen facilities are outside and covered by a tarp to keep us out of the weather.

I was ready for a good meal and a rest after our pack in and tomorrow would take care of its self.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
In for the rest!

Bisch

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Wow!  That's beautiful country!  Looking forward to the rest of the story!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©