3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow poundage dilemma  (Read 1404 times)

Offline NotDylan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow poundage dilemma
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
That's a really good point about the ILF bows, I had not considered that. If I ever desire to hunt larger game, that may be the route I take.

I expected to hear a lot of "go heavier" but its nice to be reassured that 40# is just about right for what I want to do.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you like the lighter weight and intend to use it mostly for target work.I would go with the 35 lb.Too many people,underestimate the power of a 35 lb bow,especially from an efficient design.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
it will pay dividends if you use one bow for all activities from stumps to 3d to critters.  having a 35# holding weight trad bow really sez it's a "target bow" and NOT a hunting bow.  

up that weight to 40# @ yer draw length and kill foam as well as turks.  if yer comfortable with pulling 35#, there is no reason why not to go up 5 more pounds ... and a little pull pulling each day will make you realize why you didn't order 45# instead.  really.  it's not that hard.  in fact, unless you have a physical handicap, it's not hard at all.

:campfire:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I agree with Rob. The only real difference between 40# and 45# is a couple weeks of shooting.
Sam

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
over the many decades, i've found that there are holding weight thresholds with trad bows.  35# and under makes for an exponentially less efficient set of levers, and arrow weight and spine just get more critical ... very much so for a hunting trad bow.

there are many good by-products of increasing yer holding weight.  most notably more efficient limbs, better release, less concern over arrow mass weight, faster everything, more overall shooting "stability".  

unlike the fast food industry, there are little to no meaningful shortcuts in the trad bowhunting world.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
I have a 43# Big River 66" LB that I can stump shoot all day with.  In the last two years I have killed 4 deer with the same bow.  A 66" Whip at say between 40-45 should be a pretty soft bow to shoot and should not be that taxing.  I have a Toelke Classic 62" 47 @ 28 and it pulls a lot lighter than it is marked.  Only you can judge your limitations but I do not think #40 would be bad in that bow.
T ZZZZ

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Plenty of thump with a 41#@28" HS whip. Mine is 45#@28 and at my 29.75" draw and 520g cedar arrow w/125gblunt and the factory string with 3/4 of the rubber whiskers cut off, 177fps. through the crony. Not to shabby for just under 50# at my draw...  A 40#'er at 28 will put you right in around 165 with 10gpp. About a 40yd point on....  Nice.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
imho, for a deer/hog trad hunting bow under 50#, the dependencies of bow performance, arrow gpp, broadhead type and sharpness, shooting distances, and of course the bowhunter's shooting/hunting abilities and ethics all come into major play.  just stuff to think about ....

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
40-43# seems like it would would be a good compromise.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
45lbs vs. 40lbs. doesn't seem like much, and it seems rather simple to say, "That's a week's worth of practice," but it is not that simple.  There is a big difference when it comes to shooting lots of shots, like a full 3D round or an indoor round, although I agree that one can work into five more pounds for hunting, although if we extend that logic then why can't we simply work into 50, then 55, then 60, and so on?  It doesn't work that way, and I have heard many people say that they can shoot heavy bows great, but have only seen one person who actually could shoot at a level I consider good with a 60 pound bow.  YMMV.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
It all depends on what you happen to be hunting; if you want to hunt really big animals, you need to commit to working into something heavier, but for deer and turkeys, 40 pounds on an efficient bow is plenty at the ranges we shoot.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Well,

You guys are certainly entitled to your opinions and you can hash out all the theories and formulas you care to,but the simple fact is,i witnessed a man take numerous deer through numerous years,with a 35 lb bow at 26" draw.He filled his freezer and those of other families for those years and never a lost animal that i ever heard about,so i think we can rule out the whole luck theory.Ill take the facts over theories any day.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Not weighing in on this issue, but in a country as big and varied as this, you can find one example of almost anything.     :goldtooth:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
Well,

You guys are certainly entitled to your opinions and you can hash out all the theories and formulas you care to,but the simple fact is,i witnessed a man take numerous deer through numerous years,with a 35 lb bow at 26" draw.He filled his freezer and those of other families for those years and never a lost animal that i ever heard about,so i think we can rule out the whole luck theory.Ill take the facts over theories any day.
you are quite correct, sir.  there truly are exceptions to everything.  i know a man who hunts and kills wild boar with a knife.

HOWEVER, not everyone can be a successful trad bow deer hunter with a target weight stickbow and a 26" draw.  most could not.  hence, as a general and ethical rule, trad bowhunting newbies shouldn't be attempting deer hunting with that kinda tackle.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
you are quite correct, sir. there truly are exceptions to everything. i know a man who hunts and kills wild boar with a knife.

The thing is,this is NOT an exception.All one has to do is peruse the topic on several of the sites to see evidence of the very same thing.This man,Mr Poteet is just the one i choose as my example.As for the boar with a knife thing,i know many who did this,while i was living in Hollister Ca area.Once again,not an exception and frankly,i dont see the significance of this to bowhunting.

HOWEVER, not everyone can be a successful trad bow deer hunter with a target weight stickbow and a 26" draw. most could not. hence, as a general and ethical rule, trad bowhunting newbies shouldn't be attempting deer hunting with that kinda tackle.

Im finding it hard to grasp this concept as im reading it to be honest.IMHO,as a general and ethical rule,a trad bowhunting newbies shouldn't be attempting deer hunting with any kind of tackle,until they can be in control of a target weight stickbow,much less of a heavier weight.But again,i dont believe the OP said they are a newbie anyway.I believe,they said they have hunted turkeys before and was curious of others opinions on the decision,to go with a lower weight.You gave yours and i gave mine.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
you are quite correct, sir. there truly are exceptions to everything. i know a man who hunts and kills wild boar with a knife.

The thing is,this is NOT an exception.All one has to do is peruse the topic on several of the sites to see evidence of the very same thing.This man,Mr Poteet is just the one i choose as my example.As for the boar with a knife thing,i know many who did this,while i was living in Hollister Ca area.Once again,not an exception and frankly,i dont see the significance of this to bowhunting.

HOWEVER, not everyone can be a successful trad bow deer hunter with a target weight stickbow and a 26" draw. most could not. hence, as a general and ethical rule, trad bowhunting newbies shouldn't be attempting deer hunting with that kinda tackle.

Im finding it hard to grasp this concept as im reading it to be honest.IMHO,as a general and ethical rule,a trad bowhunting newbies shouldn't be attempting deer hunting with any kind of tackle,until they can be in control of a target weight stickbow,much less of a heavier weight.But again,i dont believe the OP said they are a newbie anyway.I believe,they said they have hunted turkeys before and was curious of others opinions on the decision,to go with a lower weight.You gave yours and i gave mine.
respectfully, sir, yer thinking in this matter is an exception to the norm.  

i, nor trad gang, will ever advocate the blatant use of stick bows that are clearly marginal at best, if not illegal at particular hunt venues, for a specific type of game.  yes, there are Qualified Exceptions, but that's not the norm either.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
respectfully, sir, yer thinking in this matter is an exception to the norm.

Ill have to respectfully disagree with that as well.My conversations with many long time hunters at large venues,is proof positive.Some of which,are notable and might surprise you,but i will leave them anonymous,until they choose to divulge their opinions on the subject themselves.

advocate the blatant use of stick bows that are clearly marginal at best?

Once again,opinions differ and so do some tests performed.

if not illegal at particular hunt venues, for a specific type of game.

And in others, perfectly within the law,so i guess there are differences in that regard as well.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on what "Norm" is and leave it at that.And if it is against Tradgang policy to advocate what is within the law in some states,i guess i will have to try and refrain from breaching that subject in the future,if i want to play on that playground,i guess.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by JRY309:
For me I would go with a 45#,that is right in the sweet spot if you should ever want to sell it.It is a good around weight for hunting,shooting targets,stump shooting and anything you would want to do.JMO
2X on this comment... Dan builds a smooth drawing bow. You'll build up strength the more you shoot, and be happier with 45# bow i believe.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
The original poster didn't say how old he was. The advice to go for the 45# bow and work up to it works to a certain age.  After that age, you begin fighting the battle that you know you're going to eventually lose, but you hold off the inevitable for as long as you can.  It sort of reminds me of Chesty Puller in Korea, when he said, "We're surrounded.  Well, that simplifies things."  Before that age, go for the 45# bow and work up to it; after that age, pick the 40# bow and hope to shoot it as long as you can.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
The original poster didn't say how old he was. The advice to go for the 45# bow and work up to it works to a certain age.  After that age, you begin fighting the battle that you know you're going to eventually lose, but you hold off the inevitable for as long as you can.  It sort of reminds me of Chesty Puller in Korea, when he said, "We're surrounded.  Well, that simplifies things."  Before that age, go for the 45# bow and work up to it; after that age, pick the 40# bow and hope to shoot it as long as you cam.
that's an important point to bring up, dave - age of the shooter vs. trad bow holding weight.

dunno about his physical condition, but this thread's topic starter is more than of age to handle 45# let alone 40#.

just depends on his answers to all the things i had posted ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©