3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I fell out of my deer stand yesterday  (Read 914 times)

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
I fell out of my deer stand yesterday
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
This is a first and I hope only for me.I fell out of my deer stand yesterday.Thank God that I was wearing my harness.I was going for a mid day hunt and didn't even get in the tree until 1030 am.It was about 100pm(my nap time)and I dozed off while sitting down.I thought to myself that I need to stand up and the next thing I know is that I'm falling.I tried to grab onto anything but there was nothing to grab.I didn't fall far because my harness was tight and I fell on the same side as my climbing sticks.My chest was about even with my platform.The only thing that was hurt was a little pain in my left shoulder but other than that I'm fine.I climbed back up and started hunting again.Crazy...

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I fell out of my deer stand yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
WOW!  Glad you are o.k. and were wearing your harness.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Wearing your harness and committing to safety may have just saved your life!  Glad it turned out ok!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
My Nap time is around 1300 also....
    Funny how your brain gets used to it, and at that time it wants to nap....
    Glad ya had your harness on and all is well..
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm very glad it worked out for you and you weren't hurt. I'm a fulltime paramedic in our rural county and have been on a couple treestand falls just this year. One was a 16 yo who ended up with spinal injuries and will never walk again. I can't believe in this day and age there are people who still don't wear a harness.

Offline Zano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Thank God you wear a safety harness!
"You never can tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump." ~ Jim Willis...Test pilot & horse trainer extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
The harness did its job!

Glad it was not worse!

Bisch

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
Glad you're ok.  What's a Nap BTW...   :D
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I sometimes take a nap after a morning hunt and get sleepy that time of day.My body is just used to it.I've been bowhunting for 25 years and this is a first for me.I've dozed off before but will usually stand up when I do.I guess that I just shut my eyes again and leaned to my right.I don't know why I didn't wake up when I first began to lean over.It is just crazy to me.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
DK, a NAP is different from a CRAP, although both can be wonderful things when really needed.  It is possible to do both,but hopefully you nap while you. . .  and not the other way around.  Kinda takes the fun out of things.

Ray, I am glad you are safe AND I am glad that you took the time to tell us how it went down.  

I hate hearing about folks that got hurt.  An acquaintance of mine is in a body cast right now,  why ???? no safety harness, no wings.  He is so lucky I  can't even believe it.

We HAVE the technology, please use it, and learn how to use it as rightly as you are able.

CHuckC

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Thank goodness u had on the harness...glad ur ok!! I wouldnt climb a tree without one!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm glad you're ok.

I'm not sure but I believe harnesses are designed for only one fall. You might want to replace it or at least take a good look at it. Might not hurt to contact the manufacturer to be safe.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Thankful for you.  Good testimony of the need for a harness.  Tighten it up higher and your waist won't get past the seat.  

I nap often as I have it tight quite high.  I simply put my arm/shoulder through the strap- it holds me in a seated but upright position.  I can sleep in perfect safety.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Listen up all "I'm to macho to need a safety system" guys, gravity kills.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:   for the safety harness!
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Glad you are ok.  Some of the harnesses and fall-restraint devices are meant for one fall. I hope yours is still sound?

I tighten mine so that I can feel it "pull" when I'm sitting.

In 45 years I have never fallen asleep on stand. I've wanted too and I knew a few times if I shut my eyes I would, so I didn't.

I still think back on all the decades I didn't wear a harness. I dodged those "bullets" then but I'm done taking those chances.

Of course now that I've written this,--- next time out .....!?

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Fell out of my stand this year while in a hurry to move it, wind was wrong for a ridge stand I've had success in a lot before. I was in to damn of a hurry, stand was a ladder stand, I unstrapped top ratchet strap and stand popped out away from tree. There I stood in no mans land for about thirty seconds until.....you know it, over backwards still holding on to stand. I crawled about 400 yds to my vehicle, then spent about 3 hrs in the ER, had xrays, MRI and a c-scan. Nothing hurt except my pride and the 3 herniated discs in my lower back which give me syatica down both legs. Gotta really think when up in a tree, usually have 2 guys to move ladder stands, but I was in too much of a hurry..............oh ya, my feet were at about 15-17 feet, ground is unusually hard when you hit from that high....I'll use a prussic when entering and leaving from now on

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Props to you wearing a harness!! Been trying to convince a few friends to wear them for years, they say " I'm not that high" I don't like how they feel" excuses excuses it's only a matter of time before something bad happens I feel. Glad you're ok everyone should learn from this.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks from your loved ones for using a harness. Just a tip to everyone, I was looking at some of the safety prussic ropes at the store the other day. They were about $30.00 for a 30 foot length but was only rated for 400 lbs. I'm afraid that is not enough if you fall. I would and do buy some of the better rescue rope.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Glad your ok, it can happen to anybody.