3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coolest hunt ever! Blackbeard Island  (Read 2451 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coolest hunt ever! Blackbeard Island
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
On the short trip from the dock to the grassy opening which is camp for all, you could tell this was a magical and mysterious place. The stage was set for a great adventure.

The camp time is the best on these trips and this one would prove to be the pinnacle of that statement with the folks we had assembled and the fact that it never rained. I had shared a camp or two with Bill and Tracy and they are top shelf as most know, but I also got to meet 7 others that I have only known from behind a keyboard. I am very glad I got to spend time with them all. The professionalism at camp, for our game and the critters we chase was oozing out of each of them. It was very impressive.

After setup Rob Peel hung his bow in a moss covered live oak close to his tent and it was a sight to behold. For those of you that know Rob, you know what a great dude he is. I set my tent beside his and he was quick to let me know that it might sound like someone is sawing logs in his tent at night. I quickly picked it up, thanked him and moved it across the way. That turned out to be a bad move as the side I was now on definitely had the log sawing contest winner on it. Haha

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
TJ's quote of the trip winners for the week!

Jeff Holchin - "I once lost my wedding band in a gut pile".

Bill Dunn - Out of the blue, on the way home in the truck when it was very quiet and we were all resting "Dang it, I forgot my rack"!

Hahaha!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Is this kinda fun legal?

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
Love the name of the boat in the pic.  lol.   one of these days I'll make it down south to hunt hogs.  there aren't any up here.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »

This is so cool.  More...more...more!!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Great post!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
This hunt might turn out to be as cool as the adventure in the movie "King Kong". That dock pic sure reminds me of Skull Island.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
What a great hunt this was!! You know how when you have had a great weekend hunting with friends and its time to leave. Your already making plans to do it again next year. That was just how this trip went. This island hunt is so unique. The deer are tiny in comparison to any whitetails I have ever hunted but in this case tiny deer equal big fun.
My only regret is not getting a picture of my "Monster" buck.  His head gear was so large you had to move the hair away to even see that he had antlers! That is why Tom's quote from the ride home struck him so funny.
My story takes place on the last evening of the hunt so I'll wait until later to tell it.There are also many more excellent photos to share as well.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Nice group picture! But I see a Rose between those thorns! Good luck hunters.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
I used to be a loner, but the PBS group hunts have allowed me to meet other serious bowhunters from all around the country, and hunt new areas and new animals.  This hunt is my third group hunt of the year!

Hunting with a professional photographer (Rob) can be intimidating for a hunter with a crappy camera and little photography skill, but here are a few random photos from the hunt..

I am glad that we went with the charters who knew the area instead of trying to use our own boats - one group got lost in the fog, took some wrong turns and ended up swamping their boat in the pounding surf and nearly got themselves killed! I'd love to know the story of this lost boat..

It was obvious pretty quick that the island veterns had their good spots and claimed them early. We heard that many had come over the weekend prior to the hunt and hung their stands, and some had come over the evening before the hunt and slept in their boats at the island dock, so that they could check in early and claim their spots. Claiming a spot was done by hanging a piece of toilet paper on the trail or road close to the stand. With over 150 hunters and many newbies like us, there was sometimes a line of hunters heading out from camp...

Here Tim, Rob, Matt and I head for the south end of the island with other hunters.

We arrived at noon on wednesday, set up camp- and went out scouting. Rob, Tim and I headed to the very north end of the island and picked several good-looking spots. We passed many live oaks but I did not see an acorn until friday. However, we did see fresh deer and hog sign at the beach..

Rob in particular enjoyed hunting along the beach..

Every night the excitement built as the deer were brought into the check-in area, examined and processed. Two very nice bucks were killed on this hunt, including one in this photo..

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I sure enjoyed following your adventure on the PBS forums.  

Awesome place and great Group of people. You have to be a  great shot to hit such small targets   :readit:    ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Been looking for this one. I had pretty good intel that something got brought home.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I have always wanted to hunt blackbeard since hearing the stories. It was a great experience. Most days, Jeff, Rob, and I walked over 8 miles a day to hunt the North end of the island. I had two shot opportunities on deer but opted to pass for hogs. The one hog I saw crossing the road from the marsh was really running. So fast that I do not think  I could  of shot him with a shotgun. The goverment is trying to eradicate hogs from the island due to their disturbing of sea turtle nest. Shooting  hogs has really reduced their numbers.
 I found myself walking around looking at the different flora, exploring, while hunting. Resting on the beach with our stickbows seemed a little out of place also. I kept thinking about beach chairs.  
I am looking forward to next time and hearing more stories from around  the camp.  Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Well, Terry, you'll have to come next year.   We will definitely be doing it again.  Although Blackbeard is an enchanting place, and begs to be revisited, what made this trip was the people.   It was just a great group of dedicated, passionate, bowhunters and I look forward to hunting with all of them down the road somewhere.  I do wish I had followed Rob around more and got some picture-taking tips, his pictures of the hunt are outstanding.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm sure the bikes played a part. I'd like to hear about all the bikes taken over.

I wish I could have been there with my PBS brothers too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Matt, the food stamp card and the lottery stories was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Everyone at work enjoyed them as well. It was the first time I have heard my dad laugh in a while.
We will hunt together again.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Been looking for this one. I had pretty good intel that something got brought home.
Brad was good enough to let me park my truck at his home so Bill and Tracy could enjoy my company. Many thanks again Brother! Trad gang guys are the best.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Enjoying this one already. Keep it coming!    :campfire:
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©