3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coolest hunt ever! Blackbeard Island  (Read 2446 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coolest hunt ever! Blackbeard Island
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
" Coolest hunt ever!"  Yes I would agree.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Well even though this was meant to be a group thread, the title was my personal thought Luke. I am sure most these guys have done many group hunts. I usually hunt alone or at the most with my brother or a friend so this hunt was an enjoyable change for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Looks like an amazing hunt. Thanks for sharing! I'll keep on eye on this one   :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Here the biggest buck of the trip.

Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Whip

That's a great looking ghille - what brand is it?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Man I hate snakes.....I'm out!    :dunno:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whitetailarcher:
Whip

That's a great looking ghille - what brand is it?
It is a Rancho Safari long coat with the ghili boonie hat and face mask.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
This bunch are some workers, it only took about 10 minutes for the group to totally unload all our gear and have it stacked and awaiting the short mule ride to the camp site.

Meanwhile we got signed in and received our hunter ID numbers along with a short briefing on how to use the tags.
Here's Matt all signed up and he was lucky bowhunter number 100. I think he received some candy or something like that.

Those with mountain bikes rode behind the mules to make sure no gear bounced off while the rest of us made the short walk to our home away from home for the next 4 days. Joe you might want to fill in the blanks here on your experience riding on sand

I believe at least one member snuck a ride on the back of the trailer.

Arriving at our camp site, I'll have to say this was one of the coolest camping spots I've had the pleasure of sharing with my bowhunting brothers and sisters.

Everyone chipped in and we made quick work of getting camp up and ready for the hunt.

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Sorry about taking so long to get my part posted, it's been a little crazy around here the past week.  The story continues!

Day 1 Wednesday, after getting camp situated it was time to get out in the bush and scout, hopefully finding that sweet spot to set up for the following mornings hunt. Jeff, Tim and I ventured 4 miles north to North Dike. There we found an abundance of both deer and hog sign, so we decided that we would try our luck here. Jeff would head west towards Crematorium Road, Tim selected a spot near Horseshoe Dike and North Dike and I was headed east to North Dike and Middle Trail.

We made the loop around East Trail along North Dike then back to camp on North Trail. We put close to 8 miles on the boots and I was not prepared for the long walks, thinking more about water and snakes. My bad! Next time I will be wearing hiking boots for the walk in and packing snake boots. Speaking of snakes, I was talking with the biologist and he said that Black Beard Island has the highest concentration of vipers on the east coast. So for those of you that fall into the Ophidiophobia category you will want to think twice about this hunt. You will see snakes!

Back at camp there was a fire going and we had dinner on in short order. Spaghetti & Meatballs were on the menu, packing carbs for the hunt. Then it was time for a little fellowship around the campfire to hear how everyone's scouting adventure went.

Alarm clock sounded and Jeff was out of the sack and dressed in no time. I think he must have been really excited to hit jurassic park. Breakfast consisted of a 2" thick slice of homemade pumpkin bread thanks to my lovely wife. After washing down breakfast we grabbed our bows and packs and headed north. The plan was arrive just prior to day break and get set up. When I made it to the spot I had chosen I found a fresh wad of toilet paper hanging in a branch leading me to believe that someone had beat me to the punch so I kept on heading east on North Dike. Not being totally sure where to spend my morning at this point I kept walking. I arrived at the intersection of North Dike and East Trail just as darkness gave way to light and the sounds of the island creatures waking up. If I could I would upload an audio file here, it's just about impossible to describe the sounds.

Here's a photo taken from the intersection just after day break.

Not having a specific spot ready as my back up and being close to the beach access I decided to make a quick dash out to the beach to catch the sunrise. I was not able to get out on the beach due to high tide, but did manage to capture a nice picture. This spot is known as the "Bone Yard"

It's really difficult to hunt and photograph at the same time and my focus was on hunting, so I headed back west on North Dike. Coming around a slight bend in the trail I found several game trails that crossed and the sandy road was covered in grass with a few live oak acorns scattered around. I located a nice oak that I could easily climb into and within minutes I was up about 10' perched ready for action.
Here's a view just after sunrise from my overlook towards the Atlantic Ocean.

My view down North Dike looking north west.

There was a very light breeze blowing in from the beach, the set up seemed perfect. Not long after getting situated I caught movement and out stepped a doe onto the trail. She turned my way and began feeding towards me at about 75 yards. My heart was in my throat and fingers gripped the bowstring tight. No way could it be this easy I thought, I was right. At 50 yards she turned to her right and disappeared back in the tangle of palmetto. I kept my fingers crossed that she would pop back out and cruise by giving me that 5 yard shot, but it wasn't to be. Shortly after the sighting the breeze picked up and a thick fog rolled in from the ocean.
My view looking towards the ocean with the fog rolling in.

Prior to the fog rolling in, several trawlers were just off the beach running their nets up and down catching who knows what. As the fog rolled in the two boats must have been getting a little to close for comfort, I heard one of the boat captains yelling obscenities to the other and blowing the air horns. Nothing like good entertainment while sitting in a tree.

The plan was to meet back at the intersection of Horseshoe Dike and North Dike at 11. It was now 9:45 and I was getting restless. I wanted to locate a good spot off the beaten path, so climbing down seemed like a good call. Back on North Dike I made my way down towards Tim's hide in the curve where he could see both ways for several hundred yards now that the sun had finally burned off the thick morning fog.
 http://www.aperture4.burnhamphotography.com/galleries/d/7171-1/Black+Beard+Hunt+2014_-29.jpg
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
I will continue with my first day afield. I made my way down the North Dike to Tim's set up and we compared notes on the early morning hunt. After touching base with Jeff, Tim and I decided to ease west on North Dike to scout a little. The hunt regulations state that you must remain on stand basically from day break until 9:30 and then you are allowed to walk the roads and scout. Most hunters would mark their spots with toilet paper where they entered the bush. The biggest problem is that some would mark several spots, but one can only be in one place at a time so there would be spots with no one around.

As we made our way west I found a pretty decent trail crossing the road by the marsh pond. Following the deer sign down into the bush proved to be a good call. The area was much more open than any area I had checked thus far and I found numerous tracks, droppings and even a few fairly fresh rubs. I decided that I would give this spot a try for the evening hunt. I made my way back out to the road to catch up with Tim, but he was no where to be seen, so I just tucked back into the bush on the side of the road to wait for Tim to re appear. I'd been standing there about 10 minutes when I caught movement about 80 - 100 yards to the east. It didn't take long to confirm that it was a deer and she was feeding in my direction.

I quickly found some brush to hide behind where I could keep an eye on her movement as she slowly worked her way in my direction. She closed the distance to about 50 or 60 yards and then swapped ends and headed back in the other direction. At this point I checked the wind and it was perfect, blowing from the deer back to me. I began slipping down the road in pursuit, playing cat and mouse. Every time she would ease off out of site I would move forward 10 to 15 yards, then I would back off just far enough so that I could still see down the road. I would then wait her out letting her make the next move. Each time she would come out onto the road I would mark her spot and as she would disappear, I would move forward. We played this scenario out about a half dozen times before I was reaching striking distance. I had maneuvered to within 25 yards when she stepped off the road down into the brush. My hope was that she was still standing there, so I moved forward at a snails pace covering the last few yards. Reaching the spot I visually marked when I had last seen her I froze and began to pick the brush apart. I was scanning every little opening trying to locate the deer when she stepped back out at less than 15 yards broadside looking right at me. I think she was probably thinking something along the lines of "O' $h!t, I just messed up", she was right. I was at full draw and then the arrow was on it's way. I saw my blue feathers bury into her side and then she swapped ends and was gone. I listened for her escape, hearing only a few splashes and leaves rustle and then it was all quite.

This is where the deer was standing when I shot. (she was standing just in front of the dark spot of the dark green bush to the right of the picture)

Talk about being pumped up. I was shaking like a leaf on a fall oak. During the stalk all the way through the shot, I was in a zone and never really gave it much thought to what I was doing, it was pure instinct. Standing on the road I recalled the shot and I was pretty sure that my arrow had struck the deer about dead center. I've had the unfortunate luck in the past of a gut shot deer, so I decided to give this deer some time. To verify my what my brain was telling me, I eased to where she was standing when the arrow impacted. No blood visible, but her path down into the brush was obvious. Cautiously I made my way down off the road looking for any sign. With the fog leaving everything moist, walking was almost silent so I crept forward eyes on red alert. There was a tree growing horizontal that gave me a good elevated vantage point, so I climbed up to take a look. I caught movement to my right, there she was bedded down with head up and ears working.

I snapped this picture real quick then backed out to give her time.

Back out on the road, I moved west about 50 yards then dropped my gear and took load off my feet. My thoughts were with the deer, I knew she would be suffering, but experience dictated and I sat tight knowing that she would die within a few hours. With the bush being so think and hard to navigate, I didn't want her to move.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Sitting on the road, I replayed the shot over and over, I was sure I had made a paunch shot based on my recollection of the hit and the lack of sign. I had given her 45 minutes, but she needed more time to die. Off in the distance I could hear the mule moving in my direction and it wasn't long before the wildlife guys arrived doing their first round of pick ups. At the briefing Wednesday night we were told to tag our deer and then drag them out to the road and they would be picked up and taken to the cooler. They wanted us to continue to hunt since the limit was 5 deer and unlimited hogs for each hunter. I told Grant, the wildlife officer, about my hunt and that I wanted to give the deer some time to expire. He said they would be making the loop and would stop back by in about 45 minutes to see if I had her ready for transport.

After they pulled off I decided to ease back down into the woods to look for my arrow. Bingo! Found it. It had passed completely through and traveled another 15 yards. There was some blood on the shaft so I made my way back up to the vantage point on the horizontal tree. She was still there, head up. As I moved through the brush to get a better look she stood up and walked about 10 yards the immediately laid back down. I could tell by her movement that she was hurting very bad, it was just a matter of time. I weighed my options and decided that I just might be able to circle around behind her and get off a second shot. My reason for getting behind her were two fold, one she would have her back to me and two it would put me between her and the thick palmetto tangle. I really wanted to end her suffering as much for her as me.

I slipped around behind her with no problem and moved in to about 15 feet. If she knew I was there she showed no signs of being alert to my presence. I picked a spot and loosed my second arrow. Hitting home the arrow passed completely through and she tried to get to her feet, but stumbled and fell. She regained her composure and some how managed to get to her feet to run. At first my plan was working perfect, she was headed right to the road, then she turned and did a half moon and headed in the palmetto. I heard her crash into the thick maze of briars and palmetto then I heard the distinct sound of splashing water then more crashing in the brush and finally more splashing in water. Then it was silent. I waited for what seemed to be about ten minutes. No sounds came from the jungle where I had last heard her. I eased over to her bed and found blood and my arrow. Following the blood into the palmetto I was sure she was dead. I knew this would be a difficult track and recovery and help was going to be a crucial part of a happy ending. I returned to the road and got in touch with Jeff. He was advised that I had a deer down and needed help, but more importantly it was not going to be an easy task. He was on the way!

It's thick and dang near impossible to get through, unless you are a deer that is. We literally crawled through most of it on our belly just waiting to come face to face with one of those fang toting reptiles. And yes that's blood on my forehead from all the briars and saw teeth on the palmetto. I'm still pulling thorns out of my hands. Jeff and I were on the blood trail which was difficult at best to follow. Several times the deer took a turn which made the track one tricky adventure. I was sure I had heard water splashing, but we could not find any water so I climbed up into the top of one of these jungle trees to see if I could get a better look. Jeff was still belly flat on the ground in one of the many tunnels when I poked my head above the palmetto and noticed what appeared to be a clearing about 20 yards to our front. I guided Jeff by voice through the maze and he popped out, but still no water to be found. I was just climbing down to join Jeff when I noticed the snake climbing up the same tree I was in. Not good! Had it not been for my little knowledge of snakes, enough so to know that this one was of the non poisonous variety, I think I would have been doing my best version of Jesus walking on water except I would have been on palmetto tops. I tried to shake him out, but to no avail. I climbed down the opposite side and followed Jeff's drag marks in the tunnel to his location. We looked around good for probably 10 minutes without finding any more sign or blood, so I re traced my steps looking on the sides and underside of every branch.

Blood! Found a dried blade of palmetto that the deer had rubbed against as she entered the next section of the jungle. Back to ground we were on our bellies again keeping a relentless watch out for snakes. We got to a Y in the tunnel and could not determine which way she had gone, but I knew there was blood that would lead us on. It took a few minutes to sort it out and then we found the next spot of blood and it was here that she really started to bleed good. Then we hit the first pocket of water. Jeff looked to the left and I went right checking all the possible tunnels that she could have taken. Again I located blood on a dried palmetto branch and the track continued. Jeff took the lead here and we crawled maybe another 15-20 yards and he said I have more water ahead and then the next thing he said was "I got her". As I crawled out of the tunnel Jeff snapped the shot above, I was drained. It had been about 3 hours since the first shot followed by waiting, a second shot and finally a 45 minute track. Finding the dead deer was bitter sweet. I had made less than a perfect shot, but with the help of Jeff and Tim, we stayed our course recovering my first Black Beard Island kill.

Two Happy Bowhunters: As you can see these deer are very small in comparison to their mainland relatives.

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Tim I was trying to forget about that snake looming some where close by.  
We dragged the deer back to the road, tagged and ready for transport. It was time to get back to the hunt. Jeff and TIm were headed around to Crematorium Road where Jeff would make his way out onto the beach. I would head back to East Trail and enter the beach there. The plan was to hunt the dunes along the beach and work our way to the northern most part of the beach to link up. I can't remember a more beautiful still hunt, working my way around the north end of the island on the beach. Waves were crashing one after the other while the sun lowered itself further and further in the western sky. I took the opportunity to do a little hunting with my camera, a few of my successful shots.

I call this one "Elephants Eye"

WIth maybe an hour left of sunshine, Jeff and Tim came into view. They had found a nice spot on the dune to kick back and relax. Jeff used the time to catch up a little on his daily readings.

Finding a nice spot myself, the boots came off so my feet could air out from the days walk. Nothing like sticking your toes in the ocean while on a bowhunt, however the water was a little to chilly for a swim. Hunting along the beach was definitely a rewarding experience and I would find myself back walking the beach again on Day 2.

Darkness would soon be upon us as we made the 4 + mile walk back to camp. After a hot shower it was time for the camp fire and the sharing of the days adventures. One of the greatest parts of sharing a hunt with fellow PBS brothers and sisters is the time in camp. Memories from this trip will forever be burned into my mind. Everyone chipped in with all the chores associated with camping and bowhunting. Although it had not been planned, food was cooked and shared with everyone. It was delicious I must add. I'm pretty sure I could have sat around the campfire all night telling stories and listening to the others adventures. These member hunts are one of the biggest assets PBS has to offer. Most of the group had never hunted together, but after just one day it was almost as if we were all old bowhunting friends. It had been a long day and the eyelids were weighing heavy, time for some well deserved sleep. Lights out!

One more shot of the beach for Day 1

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
I know you wanted to see what the bison meatloaf looked like, just sorry you can't taste it. Man was it good

On Day 2 I had several encounters right off the bat, practically joining the first deer in it's bed. Not sure who was more surprised, me holding my mouth open with jaw on the ground or the deer trying to crash through the solid defensive line of palmetto. We were maybe 5 feet, yes 5 feet apart when the deer decided that this human was just a little to close for comfort. Hastily setting up a ground blind using dead branches and brush, i was ready for action and it wasn't long before the next deer was in site. Problem was I had not readied myself, shooting glove lying on my pack and my bow was still propped up against a small live oak. The stare down begins! For no less than 10 minutes she bobbed her head and attempted to maneuver around my hide determined to get the unknown object to move ever so slightly. Ha, I was fully aware of this game and I beat her on the eyesight phase, but the nose knows and she finally got a whiff of something she did not like. Swapping ends she was gone. Thinking to myself just how cool this encounter was. I had her at 15 yards, but not shot. If only she had continued on about another 10 yards, it would have been my victory. It was apparent that these Black Beard deer share the same uncanny traits as their main land relatives. Being humbled by a deer is sure a treat, especially when you do everything in your power to fool all of their incredible senses and they still come out the victor. Four deer were seen in the first hour of my hunt, but the beach and fog were calling. Jeff would be hunting along the duns on the beach and we were to rendezvous again on the north shore. Dense fog was covering the island like a blanket as I stepped out onto the beach just off East Trail.

Bone Yard Fog

Jeff needing wipers on his glasses poses for a quick picture in the Bone Yard

Some views from the north end of the island along North Dike and Horseshoe Dike

My Day 2 set up

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Discussing the hunt plan for the evening Tim, Jeff and I decided to head south for a change of scenery. After a little down time back at camp we were on our feet again headed south. From camp north one will find thick palmetto with groves of live oak and a few star maple mixed in. Lot's of water with flooded dikes and ponds intersected by roads and trails. South from camp a totally different eco system exist. Large pines and oaks as well as tall palmettos. There is also about 100 acres of fire burned land. Following South Beach Trail all the way to the beach. Matt headed north along the beach, Tim back tracked and went north of the trail while Jeff and I made our way south on the beach. The beach was littered with broken and unbroken sand dollars. Picking up a handful, I would leave the beach $10 richer

Jeff cut into the dunes first, I traveled another 4-5 hundred yards down the beach before headed into the bush. Following a well used game trail I came upon a small water hole filled with fresh water and an abundance of tracks. Thinking to myself, good spot now to just find a suited tree to stick my lone wolf climber on. Tree spotted, I was just about at the base when I heard a faint whistle. Looking up for the source, someone had beaten me to the spot so back to the beach. There had been no tracks in the sand leading to this spot so I assumed that I could walk in on another hunter at just about any spot. Back tracking north on the beach past where Jeff had entered the woods, I slipped off the beach once again looking for a spot. It was now almost 3:45, darkness would be in a little over an hour so it was here or no where. The remainder of the afternoon turned out to uneventful with the exception of the waves. The peaceful sound of the surf pounding on the beach caused me to doze off momentarily, I think

My afternoon view on the southern beach

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
A little on the food. I'm still smacking my lips after delicious array of food. Not sure what the entire crew ended up eating, some meals were shared with the entire gang. There was just so much food being prepared it was impossible to eat it all. Spaghetti & homemade meatballs went on the first night, then it was elk burgers & baked beans the next. Friday we had elk stroganoff on the menu that had to wait as there was just to much food already cooked. For lunch on Friday Tracy had whipped up a special "Bison Meatloaf" from Bill's bison hunt earlier. All I can say is it was the best meatloaf this boy had ever eaten. Saturday night was a collage of wild game and other outstanding eats. There was marinated venison medallions, the elk stroganoff, BBQ ribs compliments of Bill K. and some other stuff filled in. This was a 5 Star camp, food and friends.

Day 3. Our last full day on the island, the hunt was winding down. Deer sightings had declined some, but we were there to hunt and hunt we would. Opting to head back north with Tim, Tom and Bill. Can't remember where Jeff had decided to try his luck for the last hours of the hunt. Tom had a spot that he had located earlier in the hunt, it would be my hide for the evening. Tom had hunted out of his tree stand here on day 1 and seen several deer, I was hoping for the same. Either way I was going to enjoy my last few hours on the hunt. The sun sank lower in the western sky casting it's orange glow across the landscape. Leaning back against the huge live oak soaking up this beautiful place, I knew this hunt was about over, the memories however would last for the rest of my life.

My views on the last evening

Sunday morning arrived, time to break camp and re enter the hustle and bustle. Tents came down and bags were packed. I heard the sizzling as someone poured water over the remaining hot coals from the previous nights camp fire. The end of a fantastic hunt is always bitter sweet. Part of me wishes the hunt could go on forever, but alas it had come to the conclusion. The hunt was over, God willing there would be future adventures. It was time to head home, memories etched in my brain and new brothers & a sister of the bow. These PBS member hunts with out a doubt are the most memorable and fulfilling times I have had as a bowhunter. There is no better brotherhood than that of the Professional Bowhunters Society. The folks that make up this organization are indeed the salt of the earth and this group that shared the past 4 days on Black Beard Island are a perfect example. Until we hunt again, walking the woods with bow in hand I salute each of you. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

>~Rob~>

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Incredible pics Rob....but we all knew they would be.    :thumbsup:

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Glad I checked back in.Beautiful pics and a great story.     :clapper:

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
When Tim and I arrived to help Rob, this is the jungle that the deer had entered...

Tim was smart enough to go around the thick stuff, but Rob and I crawled through the worst of it...

Our tenacity was eventually rewarded...

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
I had two goals for the hunt: kill a hog and deer, and get to know some PBS hunters better. I failed at the first goal but met the second goal. Cory asked which treestand worked best - Rob and I had climbers but never used them - no suitable trees at the north end; there were plenty of good pines to climb at the south end but I didn't find a good area worth climbing a tree for. I did bring my old Lock-on Spirit and Rapid Rails, which I used the final evening and they will return with me on the next hunt.

Tracey hinted at some snoring - actually there was some very impressive snoring going on, even in my own tent!

For the first day of hunting, I pinned my hopes on a ridge of live oaks that extended from the swamp to the ocean, but after checking each tree, discovered not a single acorn there. However I did find fresh deer and hog sign in the dunes at the beach, including this trail.

Rob, Tim and I returned to the north end for Day 2 and I watched the trail for a while, with no action. Then I explored this salt marsh..

I hoped to spot and stalk a deer or hog there, but it just didn't happen. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of biting insects, except for a few no-see-ums...

I didn't hunt the final morning, but Tom told me about an oak right at the edge of the campground that was dropping acorns - I checked it out and discovered three oaks that were dropping. Tom had noticed that the deer were cleaning up the fresh acorns at night. I sat there the final evening hunt and did hear a deer moving through the palmettos and crunching acorns, but just couldn't see it.

My only disappointment happened on the ride from Blackbeard to Shellman's Bluff - the boat was moving pretty fast, my cooler lid opened and my wife's cherished lime green crocs flew out. I was busy holding onto some bows and thought maybe somebody would dive overboard for them, but it didn't happen. Somebody asked me if those were tears in my eyes, but I lied and said it was the fog.  
I have not broken the bad news to my wife yet; maybe I can find a replacement pair at Goodwill?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©