3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wolf hunting..... missed twice!! AHHHHH!  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wolf hunting..... missed twice!! AHHHHH!
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Just when you think you're getting good at this sport something happens to bring us back to reality...for me at least! I totally feel like a rookie right now!!

Headed out yesterday to retrieve a trail camera and thought I'd bring the bow along with a predator call as the wolf population is up around here. Our deer season ended a couple weeks back with very few deer sighting due to the predator population and bad winters.

Set up once on my walk in and fruitless for my efforts as the entire deer season was. I'm getting use to expecting nothing while hunting. Driving home thought I'd stop just off the highway where I've seen wolves before. Being a first time predator caller I ran through the list of tips that "Thumper Dunker" shared with me and set up.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wolf hunting..... missed twice!! AHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I worked my way through the very crunchy snow to the edge of a gravel pit where there were both coyote and wolf tracks. Totally out of my element I fumbled with some scent on a strip of toilet paper hoping to catch the eye of my target rather than seeing me nestled in the trees. I backed up and hunkered down in a divit in the ground and began my dying rabbit sequence like my mentor had explained thorough PM's.

I honestly had maybe called for a minute when what sounded like a herd of elk coming through the thick hazel only about 50 yards behind me. Within seconds 3 wolves were maybe 10 yards away surveying the open gravel pit for the suspected dying rabbit. I could hear other wolves but could only see the 3. Almost immediately the lead dog made his way right in front of me...like 5 yards out and maybe a few feet lower than me. At full draw he stepped out and I released. He ran a few yards and I was expecting him to fall over.....he didn't.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
The wolves really didn't seem to want to leave...so I nocked another arrow and began lip sqeaking to hold them up. Really thick hazel brush separated them from me but I managed to find a hole to the same wolf I shot at. Before I knew it, I had shot again and thought I hit the wolf. Wolves all over began barking so I was back on the call.... a few minutes later all was silent except for my pounding heart.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
I feel your pain Ryan! I had a yote at about 4yds a few years ago and centerpunched a little sapling between me and him that I never even saw as I drew back!

Keep after them. I'm sure even Thumper Dunker had a few mishaps before he became the Master of Traditional Coyote Hunters!

Bisch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I could see my 1st arrow lying on the snow, very clean...with no sign of the second arrow.

Replaying the whole scene I tried to figure out what I did wrong and came up with...EVERYTHING! 1st,,,didn't expect to see everything so wasn't mentally prepared. 2nd,,, didn't pick a spot. 3rd,,,didn't follow my shot sequence.

I honestly feel like I've never shot a critter before with my stick. As much as it's a horrible feeling it makes me want another opportunity even more.

I doubt if I'll ever have an experience like that again. Really a surreal experience. I couldn't have told you my name after...no lie!

I've found my new challenge..... Thanks for listening!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Sounds like fun. You are a guy with nerves of steel! Bear are one thing to be close to on the ground,  but a pack of wolves? Good to see you posting Ry!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
In the end no wolves were injured in the making of this story. At least I found one arrow! Pretty sure the 1st shot was a combo of not picking a spot and my bottom limb contacting the ground. The second shot I hit branches for sure and again did't pick a spot. Not even sure if I'm the one that shot my arrows at the wolf or not??

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I can only imagine being surrounded by a pack of Wolves,that could distract your concentration. I have been stalked by Coyotes when Elk hunting but they run when they get your scent.

I think being in the middle of a pack of Wolves I would have needed the toilet paper for more than a scent drag..!!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Wow that sounds like a very exciting hunt, but I think to be honest with you I think I might have had to go home and change my shorts after your hunt.  A pack of hungry wolfs on the ground around you makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  Keep at it and take some good pictures for us when you get one.  Good luck.

Shoot Straight

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Man that stinks! I would have been pretty nervous. I hear those things don't have much fear of humans.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
This is going tobe a story that I will watch. Just got started good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I don't like being in the same CANYON with a pack of wolves. I am sure the next time the wolves will not be so lucky.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Dang man sorry!!! You are one of the best shots I know. I can only imagine your heartrate when it all went down. Me thinks a quick run of SVT, with profuse diaphoresis and tachypnea....  :)  

Seriously though bro' them critters are dangerous. I know you are a fit, hunting machine but these aren't song dogs like we have in the lower 48. Be careful!!! Now me, I'd make a meal: plenty of adipose tissue for the winter, but you'd be a waste. A backup like that Tactical 870 you carry to keep the bears off of me would be a good idea.

I am jealous though  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Sounded awesome RY I can't imagine but I am sure how cool it would be to capture that moment!! I too honor the fact that no matter how long any of us been shooting traditional that none of us can say that hey I HAVE THIS CONQUERED ...It is good though to have a quick reality check...KEEP AT EM!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Unreal..........   :eek:    :eek:  but pretty cool!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
That is an awesome story Ryan! Didn't pick a spot? Unfortunately I do that more often than if like to admit. When I pick a spot...it's lights out. But when I don't it normally results in a complete miss. It's easy to tell yourself to pick a spot but it's much more difficult during the heat of the moment....especially with something like a pack of wolves! I can only imagine!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the shoulder to cry on guys! If I can take some positives out of this I guess I can say that I must be a better caller than I thought. Maybe I'll get a bait out for em' and hunt from a tree next time. Making the call today to track down bait.

Tentative plans to get some footage....successful or not it'll be fun!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
I will be tuned in ry looking forward to some footage!  :thumbsup:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Doesn't get more exciting than having a pack of wolves within bow range. Looking forward to the ongoing story. I'm sure it's far from over.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Dude, that's an intense situation!!  Sounds like a highly addictive experience.  
I've been watching for your big Manitoba buck post that we have become accustomed to... This has to be your first dry year ever!  That's just crazy about your deer numbers.  Weather and Wolves!  Can't do much about the first but maybe you can unleash fury on the Wolves!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©