3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RESULTS -Big Jim TG Wolf Pack Hog Hunt  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: RESULTS -Big Jim TG Wolf Pack Hog Hunt
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »
Tomorrow y'all be there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Go get 'em guys!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
The hunting adventure at Big Jim’s provided memory filled treasures destined to be repeated.

I must offer Big Jim many thanks and a special thanks to our host and guide Dan Harris. Dan’s laid back demeanor, knowledge, humility and active desire to participate in the mischief was a key intriguing feature addition to the splendid atmosphere. Dan’s boys, ‘Wyatt and Buck’s presence were the greatest elements to this already animated pursuit.

May only leak that Stump has by far the most incredulous stories to share.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
I heard there was some blood lettin , come on boys lets have it
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
The evening we arrived, Big Jim gave us a much enjoyed tour of the birth place of his creations.
The craftsmanship and care were most impressive and his hospitality was unequaled.

Day 1 – We scouted, checked cameras and strategized the afternoon and evening hunt.

Set up in a ground blind on a corn feeder…..feeder went off around 4:00…..approximately 15”s later, a group of 10 of mixed multi-colored runts made a blazing run to the feeder. This was my first hog hunting experienced and was amazed at the frantic and noisy frenzy. I waited for approximately 5”s to see if there was a sow holding back and there were no signs that one was accompanying them. They were apparently larger than pocket pigs and may have but just been weaned.

Trying to pick out a single piggy proved difficult as they were all virtually within the tripod with a couple of pigs at the back of the feeder. I picked out a pig and drew, however they were exchanging positions so quickly that my intended target had been replaced….I could not pick a stable target…so I let down. I waited another 30 seconds, drew, attempted to settle on a piggy, yet they changed positions four times without moving within a sight picture of not more than six inches.  The action was frantic and when one the critters stopped within my sight picture, I released. The arrow somehow found its way within the covey shot pigs without harming a hair. The arrow even bounced up and landed on one of their backs as they made for the hills. I don’t even recall which color pig I had settled on…lack of patience on my part.

After 30”s…retrieved my arrow….and spun the feeder until I could imitate the actual feeder sounding off. Ten minutes later, here come the same runts racing to the feeder. Nine runts are tight within the tripod legs.  The largest runt was cautious and circling the back of the feeder. I was hoping that he would circle the front of the feeder. However, after 5”s, he charged into the middle of the pile scattering the group slightly. He was  facing me yet slightly quartering at 19 yards.…picked a spot just in front of his left shoulder and released…..saw the arrow penetrate deep within an inch of the fletch, then the madness of the runts scattering made any other determinations merely conjecture.

He was hit hard and blood trailing was not an issue. A piggy down….I elected to shoot a 3 blade 250 gn Terminator for the little one as it proved to be devastating. I was as excited and thrilled as when I successfully harvest a gob…poor Dan…my jaws must have run nonstop for thirty minutes.

Days 2 and 3….A plethora of hog sign, ample piggy music however, no sightings....my expectations had already been exceeded.

Am wishing to return this fall provided Big Jim and Dan have a slot.

Note: waiting myself on a pic
>>----> Friend <----<<

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
It was great to hear that you guys had a good time. I was privy to a little info while I traveled to the S.C. Shoot. Unfortunately there was so little cell service at Rocks Pond, I couldn't even send smoke signals.

I got the run down from Preacher Dan while I was returning to civilization.
It seems that he thoroughly enjoyed himself too.

Dan is definitely an out doors kind of guy and if it wasn't for church, he would probably only sleep in doors.

What was that I heard about someone shooting a piggy while it was suckling? and again something about a 11 shot armadillo?
I sure missed out on a bunch!

Well, not likely their will be any pigs for me until middle of next month as I still have 3 more shoots back to back.
I will have to treat myself to a hunt or two just to get a nap in stand.

Hate I missed it, but glad you enjoyed it...bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
Stump...With 31 posts leading up to this highly anticipated hunt, one would believe that your posted stories would be immediate headline news. It is increasingly difficult to suppress leaks when you have something big to share.

Time to man-up!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I, too am awaiting Stumps hunt narration.  Then Scott and I can be "Paul Harvey" with the rest of the story!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Just say first a big thanks to BigJim and Dan. This has been my most enjoyable and favorite hunt and I hope to go back real soon.

Wednesday after driving through snow, slick roads and ice we are arived at BigJim's shop where the masterpieces are made. It was awesome to see how theses beauties are built. Most people wouldn't believe the time and devotion the master bowyer puts in on each and every bow. We got to every stage in which the bows go through and equipment he uses. Then he showed us the finish room where there different stages of finish being done Jim showed beautiful Thunderchild with ecuoliptus limbs which I believe was finished or about there. We got to see different the different woods first hand and it helped me narrow down thewoods for my future bow.

Thursday 19th 1st day of the hunt. That morning we met Preacher and ate breakfast then follwed him to the lease. When we got there He drove around to the different stands and a checked the cameras and notice they were coming in in the afternoon or after dark.  So we decided to wait and hunt that afternoon.  The stand I chose looked really promising.  It was in pines of the road unlike the others. We I got to the stand around 230 or 3 I noticed that the corn was gone that was there earlier that morning. So iwent over and spun some corn out. Everything could happened did while sitting in it. Got in the stand and had to hold my bow couldnt find the a hook to hang until about an hour later. It was in the tree next to me so I reachout to hang it. They only I wish is that could've moved that tree closer to the stand I was in. Im sorta vertically challenged. Im sitting listening to the different sounds and scenery that im not use to just taking it all in and of a sudden
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Just say first a big thanks to BigJim and Dan. This has been my most enjoyable and favorite hunt and I hope to go back real soon.

Wednesday after driving through snow, slick roads and ice we are arived at BigJim's shop where the masterpieces are made. It was awesome to see how theses beauties are built. Most people wouldn't believe the time and devotion the master bowyer puts in on each and every bow. We got to every stage in which the bows go through and equipment he uses. Then he showed us the finish room where there different stages of finish being done Jim showed beautiful Thunderchild with ecuoliptus limbs which I believe was finished or about there. We got to see different the different woods first hand and it helped me narrow down thewoods for my future bow.

Thursday 19th 1st day of the hunt. That morning we met Preacher and ate breakfast then follwed him to the lease. When we got there He drove around to the different stands and a checked the cameras and notice they were coming in in the afternoon or after dark.  So we decided to wait and hunt that afternoon.  The stand I chose looked really promising.  It was in pines of the road unlike the others. We I got to the stand around 230 or 3 I noticed that the corn was gone that was there earlier that morning. So iwent over and spun some corn out. Everything could happened did while sitting in it. Got in the stand and had to hold my bow couldnt find the a hook to hang until about an hour later. It was in the tree next to me so I reachout to hang it. They only I wish is that could've moved that tree closer to the stand I was in. Im sorta vertically challenged. Im sitting listening to the different sounds and scenery that im not use to just taking it all in and of a sudden

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Shed, I think You stuttered lol.

Loving the recap.

Congrats Friend.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
The feeder goes off and scares living daylights out of me. Then I tbought its gonna happen soon and come running from the sound of the feeder. Got a text from Scott saying he missed a piggy. I told him to take his time and not rush the shot. Which is what he tells me all the time. Wasnt long i got another text from him saying he stuck one. About 30min later I hear a four wheeler coming. It's Preacher coming to help Scott find his piggy. By that time ive gotta go bad. So I stand up to pee and

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
I droped my glove. So I had to climb downand nab it.about 20min later I hear the four wheeler drive by but I heard someone talking loudrr than the four wheeler.  Wouldnt you know that voice was our Friendly Scott. I was thinking scott theres people trying to hunt here. But since scott never has anything to say and is so quiet I didnt say anything. Wel it got dark  and 8 o'clock rolled around and nothing happened and got a text from dear ole Scotf wanting to know if I wanted them to come and get me and I said sure but bring a light because I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I didnt realize that I needed light toget down but only had a flash light and couldn't hold it while trting to get everything together and find my way down. So Preacher came and shined a light forme. Then I dropmy arrow from the stand then droped my backpack from it to.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
Sorry guys. Im not sure whats happening with this stupid phone.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Friday20th day2- we split in 2 groups and did some spot and stock. Scott and Tom stocked along the road and Preacher and I took to the swamp. We go up on a lone boar. We heard him inthe water and canes but he vanished with out a trace.

Later Preachers 2 boys came to camp and met us. Thay are fine well mannered young men. Im just glad they didnt pick on ole Scott. I dont think he could handle it.

That afternoon we droped Scoot off at a new setup he wanted to try and Preacher asked if I wanted to do some still hunting that afternoon and night down in the swamp. We went  through the swamp to the creek to setup there and then move to the hogs if we heard some. We no longer got to the creek and we heard one squeal not far from us on the other side of the creek.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
We got setup I wasin some trees next to the edge of the bank andhe was setup 15yds up the creek from me. All of a sudden it soundex like the cane on the side went crazy with a lot of squealing and grunting. I could see parts of hogs through the cane but no shot. They moved down towards preacher. I sawza boar in a n opening across from him. He drew and release sending the arrow to the mark. The hog squealed, fell, spun and took off through the thick cane and briars. He asked if I had a shot. I said no and he motioned for me to sneak down by him. I no longer got there and a big sow was in the opening. I drew backand released.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
The luminoc flew the air and hit low. All of a sudden we heard a squeal of death then the sow started squealing.  He looked at me and said you shoot a little one which we didnt know was there. And possibly the sow to. We had no way nowing what happened till we crossed the creek. So we thought about how we was goona cross it. The he remembered there is a canoe at camp. About 30 minutes later we came back with the canoe. We drug the canoe through the swamp to the creek. Once we got to the side we found his wood arrow broken with the broadhead gone. By now its dark. About 3 ft from his arrow was my luminoc sticking out of the pocket pig as BigJim calls them. There was blood every where. And on closef in spection I missed the sow. The we turned towards fallowing the blood trail. Cuting our way through the cane one sowe can get gowhere we need to but 2 for us to have a trail to get back. We fallowed the blood to where we  lost it so we markex the spot and decided to return the next day.
So went back to camp and I showed my first "big game trad kill".

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
Some have updated their avatar prior to divulging the story behind it.

Your patience is most admirable.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
Saturday 21st day3 last hunt- That morning preacher Tom and I went back to see if we could find the hog we picked up the trail but lost it once it go to water. We searched and searched. Iwish we could have found it.
I was wanting 2 things on this trip to get a hog which I did and see a armadilla but I cant mention it because its not trad related.
That afternoon for our last hunt Tom went with Preacher and I back into the swamp. We all spread out along the creek bank. After dark I heard something move acroos bank onthe far side so I shined the light overand saw nothing I guess it was farther back inthe brush. Then about 30min later one squealed about 50yds from Tom but he didn't hear it. The hogs didnt feel like playing onthat last night.
I just wanna thank BigJim and Preacher for everything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©