3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RESULTS -Big Jim TG Wolf Pack Hog Hunt  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: RESULTS -Big Jim TG Wolf Pack Hog Hunt
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Good Luck to the next group of guys through!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Drew….Thank you for taking the time to bring us along on your inspiring adventure.

The details of the hunt, camaraderie, friendship and fine cuisine have my anticipation level elevated in sharing in just such an adventure.

Am incontestably drawn to destinations that I may call home.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
Glad you had a good time, Drew, and that you were able to have some hog encounters.  Sounds like the accomodations and hospitality were awesome.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Im glad yall made it home safe. Sounds like a good time and had no problem getting into the piggies. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Did you have any pics to share with us? Did yall hunt day and night or mixture?  I cant wait until its our turn next month and your time you shared with us is not helping my anticipation any. I'm glad you had a great time. Jim and Barbara are some of the nicest people you will meet. Im hoping I will get to see first hand where my Thunderchild was made by a very talented craftsman.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
I hope Manny can tell us about his adventure when he has time available. I know Hes wore out from an even longer ride than Drew.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
ok, my turn.
This a hunt that I look forward to every year as it is a chance for me to take time off and hunt local. Yes, I do this occasionally..one day at a time, but never several in a row. Work takes precedence even when it is not as demanding (like I would know what or when that is  :o  )

We stay at my home since I am hunting with Manny and Drew and need to be home in the mornings. The 47 mile drive each way with the late nights and early to work mornings make for a very exhausting day but well worth the efforts. Having them back at the house allows me to put them to work too! gotta get them to pay for their keep.

For these reasons, Drew, Manny and I typically only hunt stands and in the evenings.

Monday, our first night out, I treat myself to a well deserved nap in the NoName stand. For whatever reason, I am unable to sleep after it gets dark though and am flooded with thoughts of getting ready for our up coming 3D event season.
Pigs are heard in the distance, but never seen.

Tuesday, I move to the Cary stand (it used to belong to Cary...). Just about 30 minutes of light left, 7 of the smallest piggies I have ever seen (each would fit in a football) came in and ate every kernel of corn while there mother stayed out 50 -100 yards and grunted as she ran around...never did get to see her but she kept my interest up.
Once the little piggies left, I climbed down and spun the feeder a couple times to put a little more corn on the ground and retreated to the tree.
About 9 o'clock, a group of pigs of decent size came in. As soon as they came in, I was ready...or so I thought. I remained seated, hit the light, leveled out on the pig of my liking and proceeded to miss. Won't be the last time I'm sure. That concluded the evenings hunt.

When we went out Wednesday, I was feeling pretty rough and suffering from exhaustion. The high winds and cold temperatures did nothing to help this. I sat in the clear cut with a stiff wind in my face for about an hour and thought...this is stupid. I could be in my truck sleeping instead of freezing my arse off. The pigs were unlikely to come in to a stand so exposed to the elements and in those conditions so I bailed for the comforts of my truck.
While there, I was unable to sleep as I was sure the other guys would soon want to join me and that proved to be the case.
Thursday started like the other days but with better weather. I again chose to sit Cary's stand and was rewarded about 7:30 with a group of sizeable fatties! The ran in and out and chased each other around. This time I stood and waited for them to get preoccupied ...and comfortable with the corn.
When I was confident that I had a good quartering away shot on the biggest pig in the group (200+lbs) I dropped string and stuck about 3" s of a 33" arrow in to the shoulder of said pig. It must of hurt like hell though as he let out a menacing squeal and flipped to the ground. Before I could get another arrow in him, he jumped up and was gone with my lighted arrow firmly stuck in his shoulder.
I didn't feel good about the hit and an extensive search of the area revealed not even the first drop of blood. We searched for quite awhile but never even found my lighted arrow.
Our thick brushy areas can be un passable for all except a hog and that is where he went. I'm sure he will live another day.
I have had a few issues with my shooting on game this fall. Thankfully, this was my first lost critter for the season. I vow to correct the problem soon!

Manny and Drew are now gone but not forgotten. Until we meet again guys...thanks from the crew here.

On a side note, as much as we would love to invite hunters to lodge and eat with us for hunts, this is not something we can offer as it is far too time consuming and would eventually end the sale of pig hunts on my part.
There is good accommodations within eight miles of the property however and this will allow for a lot more hunting time.
Thanks ya'll and take care, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
Sounds like you guys were having a great time. Ya'll got any pictures of these adventures?

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
though I had several cameras I get excited and forget to use them but I do have a few pics I will try to get posted.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Great recap Jim.  Those sandwich sized pigs sound perfect for a snack. Grill em whole.

Bummer about the one which got away. Hopefully you will see him again, healthy as can be.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Just because the porkers blaze a trail to the alluring swine song of “Here piggy piggy’, doesn’t guarantee fresh sowbelly for tomorrow’s breakfast.

Will be toting several boxes of cereal to Georgia….Pork and Bean Frosted Flakes.

Thank you Big Jim for both the candid and encouraging update. You were mighty close to a fine harvest.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
Here is my turn!
Sorry guys for the delay, the extra 9 hours driving to Montreal are taking a toll on me!

Someone was talking about set up, here is mine: I shoot Buffalo bows or Thunderchilds close in poundage. For this hunt I used a special Buffalo bow  2 pieces that Big Jim made for my 50th birthday, 65#@27
The arrows are GT woodgrain blems 55-75 with a 100grs insert and a 300grs VPA BigJim special for a total weight of around 700grs.
I shoot split with a glove.

Now to the hunt itself!    :bigsmyl:
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Manny...You have the floor. the hog light is on as you command our undivided attention.

Bring it on!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
First and foremost, BigJim's hunting grounds are wonderful and BigJim himself is always making sure you are in the best situation to hunt pigs.

I have heard pigs moving close to to me the 3 first days without a sighting...
You can imagine how primed I was for the 4th hunt.. The day where everything happens....
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
But before we go to that Thursday hunt, let me tell you listening to James' hunting stories, and his encyclopedic knowledge of everything trad bowhunting is something else!

The Southern hospitality is not a myth for sure!   :campfire:
Coureur des Bois
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
So for that Thursday night, I wanted everything to be perfect: Fully charged battery in the pig hunting bow light, and of course touched up razor sharp broadheads
Coureur des Bois
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
So here I go, with my diamond stick a few passes and the broadheads are shaving sharp and back to my side quiver.

To the hunting ground we go, that was the night!

We set up and suddenly I realized that the arrows were safe in BigJim's man cave...Ouch!
In a pinch James provided me with two arrows, one with a nocturnal nock and a broadhead, and one target arrow I tipped with one of Drew's broadhead.
Quick stop at the campsite and shots at foam confirmed I was close enough to the mark to hunt.

Broadheads resharpened, I am not 10 minutes in the stand that a big rabbit just hopped under the stand...I decided to keep my precious 2 arrows for pig.

One hour after dark, 7 pigs including 2 good ones went to the feeder leaving the bush from my left.

I hit the bow light button and eased the green light on the pigs. Due to shot opportunities I went back and forth on the 2 good pigs, hesitated some more and made the perfect shot right in the middle of the 2 good ones. Pigs exploded in the night and the nocturnal glowed in the tall grasses

What a hunt!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
Fabulous!

A bonus of gold for an already splendid group adventure.

Congrats!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
(The arrows are GT woodgrain blems 55-75 with a 100grs insert and a 300grs VPA BigJim special for a total weight of around 700grs.
I shoot split with a glove.)
or what ever arrows are lying around the truck    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by drewsbow:
(The arrows are GT woodgrain blems 55-75 with a 100grs insert and a 300grs VPA BigJim special for a total weight of around 700grs.
I shoot split with a glove.)
or what ever arrows are lying around the truck     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©