3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any recurve archers with scoliosis  (Read 269 times)

Offline vonskie

• Trad Bowhunter
Any recurve archers with scoliosis
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I ask because I have it, I really enjoy archery but I worry about how it will impact my back in the long run. In one hand it is execerise for your back but it also puts a load on it. If you have. scoliosis Do you still shoot or did you have to give up the hobby? I know I will never have proper form because of it but my brain seems to compensate just fine. I shoot a 42 pound recurve Hoyt buffalo and really enjoy it.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any recurve archers with scoliosis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Well, I have really serious back problems, the worst problem being right in the area of the spine that flexes when drawing a bow (bringing my shoulder blades together).  My discs are about gone and I fractured some vertebrae in that area that didn't heal properly, and I do have some curvature issues.  It does bother me some but the doctors say to keep active or it will get worse.  It might actually be a good form of therapy for you if you stay with light poundage.  I've had to go way down in weight myself, mid thirties for target and very low forties to hunt, but it works fine.  Unless the doctors specifically advise against it, I don't think it will make your back any worse, and might even help it some.  Mine hurts, but not any worse than it would if I did nothing, because I've tried that, too.  Best of luck.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any recurve archers with scoliosis
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I was diagnosed at 12. I'm 61 now and still shoot/hunt. My biggest problem is my shoulder joints as far as shooting goes. I'm down to 52# comfortably. I used to shoot 75# back in my prime (and pulled a 118# compound back once at a sports show). I did a lot of sports and rough play as a kid as well poor genetics. I have back issues but it doesn't interfere with my shooting/hunting.

I could go thru my list of ailments but you asked about scoliosis.

Its worse for women btw. Both my daughters have it (hereditary). Oldest is not noticeable. Her sister is 4P. She was a study patient at our local university hospital while in a body brace approx two years during adolescence.

I'm sure I will have to quit some day but it won't be because of scoliosis. Have at it!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©