3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FF or non FF option on SilverTip?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
FF or non FF option on SilverTip?
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I have a Tip on order and was curious to see what most of you are shooting on your SilverTips in regards to strings. Should I go with the FF option? I guess my question is there really a advantage? It has been my experience that FF strings make a bow have more noise but the ones I have shot have been thin low strand count strings. Any thoughts and or opinions would be helpful as I am down to this FF option or not and weather to go with a checker grip over stippling.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: FF or non FF option on SilverTip?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
There is no downside to having FF capability.  You don't have to use a FF string if you don't want to, but it will sure make it easier to sell the bow if you ever want to.  I think if you do some experimenting, you probably could shoot a FF string that was as quiet or more quiet than what you are shooting now.  Good luck.  I am sure that you will love whatever bow you decide on.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I have never tried a stippled grip so I can't comment but I absolutely love the checkered grip on my Silvertip longbow and would never consider ordering one without it.
I know that's just my opinion but I hope it helps.
Be sure to share pictures of your tip when it arrives.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
What pdk' said.

Dave's checkering is outstanding and very comfortable on bare skin even at higher poundages.  If you go with stippling I recommend the small over the large size and if Dave's not doing it then I hope it isn't anyone other than Jim Neaves at Centaur LOL, and if it is someone else, no caffeine for them! LOL

Having a FF string that's quiet is a matter of it being made by a maker that does it right, that it has enough twists in it, made from a decent material (There are better things than D97), and time taken to tune and use quality silencing materials.  

Like the others said, you can order it FF and shoot B50 if you want to, but sheesh...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
I have FF on my silvertip and its real quiet. Dave says you gain about 8 fps. My bow really cranks a arrow and hits hard. I think its worth it for the added performance in my book. Do you have to have it heck no! But it don't hurt to have a little extra mustard on the hotdog. TD.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
I won't buy any new bow if it's not compatible with high performance materials.

For me, it's not about gaining a few fps.  I like the increased durability and stability, along with the lack of stretch and creep which means consistency.

A quiet string, from any material, is one that is made properly then tuned properly.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
Many good choices in high quality strings from right here on TG.  Aaron you know I like the checkered grip.  Personal preference but I do like the way it feels in my hand to not being checkered.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
Get the FF you wont regret it.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I won't buy any new bow if it's not compatible with high performance materials.

For me, it's not about gaining a few fps.  I like the increased durability and stability, along with the lack of stretch and creep which means consistency.

A quiet string, from any material, is one that is made properly then tuned properly.
James Kerr

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 03:16:00 AM »
Like other I don't consider any bow that can't handle a FF string. My Silvertips are already quiet with the factory string but with a well made skinny you can't tell the difference from Dacron,noise wise. I had bows with Dacron that were noisy.
About the checkering, once again when you try one you don't want to come back,one of the main features you can desire in a handle
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:06:00 AM »
Not having FF is like throwing way 5# of performance.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
I appreciate all the input guys. I have decided to go with the FF option and a checkered grip.. She should be a pretty one as all the ST's are. Walnut riser, medium grip with Russian olive limb veneers and elk antler tips. 60" 56#@28. Should be geeting it in late summer.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Sounds good Aaron ...congrats on the new bow coming I can't wait to see it hopefully at ETAR!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
I would never choose dacron if I had a choice.  Too much vibration and noisier to my ears.  I don't care about the performance difference as much as the vibration difference.  Dacron seems like it takes five minutes to quit humming.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
I have never shot a Silvertip but maybe this will help. The few bows I have shot with dracon string had a lot of hand shock but when I used FF string it was like shooting a different bow.

No hand shock and the bow just preformed so much better. I would never shoot a bow without FF.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
I've been fortunate enough the past year to add 3 Silvertips to my bow racks.  I can't imagine, though, owning one that is non-FF.

I find FF to add some speed and decrease noise significantly on most bows.  I also have very little patience for brace height creep.  But it is just a personal preference.

There are some deals that can be had on non-FF 'Tips.  Not sure that FF compatible 'Tips command a premium, but I do believe a non-FF 'Tip takes a hit in resale value unless the riser wood is spectacular.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Owned both and I preferred B50. Never had any issues w/ getting either one quiet or one having more hand shock but I do shoot 9+grs per #. I just like the all around feel of the Dacron.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
I shoot FF on everything except my Selfbow.  Even bows that arent FF.  Just use padded loops.  I use strings by SBD, Steadman, and Hunters Choice.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I always had a problem with Dave's dacron bows hitting my arm.  Once I went to a FF string the arm slap stopped.  I think you made a great choice going with both the ff and checkered grip.  It adds a few more bucks to the tab but well worth it in the end.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
I'm not sure you can get exotic wood with the FF option in  a ST can you ?

I dislike FF , but go with it you can always shoot dacron .

If you don't get the checkered grip you will regret it IMO .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©