3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Glue For Fletching ?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best Glue For Fletching ?
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:27:00 AM »
Besides Platinum that is? Had feathers come loose even with Bohning finish on my shafts. Heading to the store after work to look at other stuff.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Glue For Fletching ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
yeah try BSI Maxi Cure,,stuff is great.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »
I use tape now. Had an arrow lay in the woods for months and fletching stayed tight. All in the prep I believe. Good luck.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
I wouldn't look any further than Platinum on carbon or aluminum. If it aint a stickin you aint holdin yur mouth right. Wood could be all together different bu if my feathers come off its gonna take effort. Platinum has ben beat up on more than one occasion but the only gripe I've got with it is it's shelf life.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
I use Onestringer wraps and super glue gel.  Fast and easy!  I had some problems with Platinum.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
I have been using the AAE fastset for years and never had a problem. it is basicly a gel form of superglue.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
Ditto what possum said.  Never have had issues with Platinum on Carbon or Aluminum.  Haven't fletched a wood shaft in 40 years.  It's all about the prep and the technique.

Scrub shaft with Acetone and don't touch it with your fingers.
glue fletch to shaft - let dry
follow up with a dab on the front and back end of fletch - let dry
second follow up with a thin line down both sides of each feather.  Shouldn't come off now.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Should have been a little clearer, these are Bohning dipped wood shafts. I just made a batch of arrows up couple months ago with this tube. Maybe it went bad since then?

I'll look for some of the suggestions above when I hit up Cabela's later today.

Thanks guys!

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Haven't tried alot, but I've used Fletch Tite Platinum, Steel Force beyond bond, and Goat Tuff.

The fletch tite never held up for me, few dozen shots and they would be coming off.

Steel force works well, but takes a while to set.

Goat Tuff is all I use now, sets in a couple minutes, and the feathers always wear out before coming off.

Don't know about the bohning dip, but I've used it on poly finished wood, paint, aluminum and carbon with the same results.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I am a great believer in getting arrows fletched by someone who is good with tape...my arrow builder guarantees they will not come off and he has never had to make good on that...for fletching arrows myself I use the old white tube Fletch Tite which works way better than Platinum

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
I have had the best results lately with Saunders NPV glue. It works well with alum and carbons. That said I have never had an issue with Platinum over Bohning paints wood or alum. Shafts. I did not know it had a shelf life.
Reason I quit using Platinum is I have started to put water based polycrilic over my cap area to help protect my creesting.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Try the tape you will never go back...I've shot through foam targets and through critters and used my arrows very hard and the tape has held better than anything. Give it a try
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
I use tape and fletch tite.  I would say you have some other issue if your feathers are coming loose, like not letting the clamp sit long enough before pulling it off or not properly prepping the shafts.  I have tried other stuff, like Goat Tuff and various forms of super glue type glues, but the bond from fletch tite is both tough and flexible and I haven't found anything that works better than that.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Was using "archery" glues, but I don't always plan ahead and wanted something I can almost always get at the hardware store or WalMart.  Loctite Ultra Gel Control is an impact-resistant superglue that sticks... well, like glue... to carbon shafts and arrow wraps. I have not tried it with Bohning paint.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I use fletch tape and super glue for the drop of glue on the front and back of the feather.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Loctite ultra-gel control, blue and black bottle. I've tried about everything and haven't used better than this.
If I find better I'll switch.
Rick

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Bob Smith Industries!  This glue is amazing stuff and what some pros use.  When I started fletching I tried 4 of the most common highly respected glues and I think BSI is better.  You can by online.

I put a drop on front of feather when done for extra security and always use carbon prep to clean shafts first.

It works great for me!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Use  wood shafts with rustoleum spray paint for a cap and have had good results with Saunders  npv and  duco cement

Offline Nick Barber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Personally I like Duco. I have used it for almost as long as I have been building arrows and I've never had a problem with my feet hang coming off. All I shot are wood shafts generally finished with polyurethane hardwood floor finish. It has proven to be a good, long lasting combo.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys, grabbed some Goat Tuff and a new tube of Platinum to retry on the problem arrow. I've been rolling my own woodies almost since I started shooting 20+ years ago. Never had a problem with Bohning stuff being incompatible before, so maybe it's operator error.

I try different finish combos now and then and will definitely try out some of the suggestions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©