3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who makes waterPROOF!! pants????  (Read 825 times)

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Who makes waterPROOF!! pants????
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Not this XXX-breathe-when-a-mouse-farts on the other side of the planet "stuff"...but water PROOF!!! pants that stay DRY on the INSIDE when walking through wet fields, medium rain, etc...etc...etc...

Can you tell I got WET in my $90 Cabela's "ultimate rainwear" stuff????

(OK, I only paid $20 for them on the rack in Cabela's, but just because they were last year's models and in my size...but HEY, they SUCK!)

Thanks for letting me vent...
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who makes waterPROOF!! pants????
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
I have some military issue pants with Gore Tex, they work great and won't break the bank.  But they are noisy when walking, I guess that's the GoreTex?
Dan

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Yup the noise should come from the goretex.

Must be new stuff; they didn't have anything for rain when I was in, but I've been out for ten years...I'll take a look.

Thanks!
Marc

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
I bought a set of packable waterproof pants made by Field and stream, They are great.  where I hunt it is ALWAYS WET, And these Really do keep me dry.  the come with a stuff sackthey are quiet and seam sealed!!  $50 at Dicks.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Huggies   :biglaugh:  

Frog Togs are pretty nice but don't think they come in camoflage.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Well, This is my first post here. Ive been doing MUCH lurking for the last month, so dont bash me to hard...

Try "Rivers West" for quiet waterPROOF and breathable gear. VERY nice stuff, but not too easy on the wallet. I believe its the only waterproof clothing that lives up to its name. They had a neat little display at our local Sportsmans Warehouse that constantly pours water on a vest throughout the day, and the inside stays dry.

Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Hi Marc.
In my opinion there isn't a pair of water proof pants made that I would pay 15 cents for.
I have found that what works best for me is a pair of good fitting fleece pants with a set of polypro long under wear under them.
You will get wet wearing these but they are fairly warm, quiet and they dry almost instantly.
The waterproof pants that I have tried are hot, noisy and most are not waterproof anyway unless they are rubber rainwear.
Wool also works well in a wet climate.
I do wear a gortex parka but it eventually lets water through.

Good Luck.

John

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Although I detest so much of what Cabela's stands for, politically and morally, sometimes they are the only choice for having what hunters need. I have a pair of their Dry-Plus wood/Gore-Tex pants, a couple years old, about $100; Smart-Wood type material (doesn't shrink) with G-T liners. They are heavy but quiet and absolutely waterproof so far. If there's any chance of rain or snow and it's not hot, I wear them for hunting and don't have to bother with rainsuit bottoms. I also have a suit of (sorry) X10 or somesuch that's at least 10 years old and still doesn't leak. And for lightweight and cheap, you can't beat the English Peter Storm. It's my feet I have trouble keeping dry! dave

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Yes, that't wool, not wood. dave

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Uh, that's wool, not wood.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
I just saw some frogg toggs in camouflage at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I think it was around $50 for the legs and jacket.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Frogg Toggs come in camo.  I have some.  I got an ad about a week ago for a jacket and overalls on close out for 20.00.  I almost bought another pair just to have on hand.  I waited to order the next day and they were sold out.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Mr. insttech 1,
Our Filson's Tin Pants are waterproof but noisy when on the move.
Best Wishes

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Marc,

Gortex isn't that new for the Army anyway. They had them in 94-95 or maybe earlier. Wasn't an issued thing for us but a few people bought the jackets. I believe it was around then anyway. I got out in 1998 and most of my time in people had them.

I always wanted them but never got them. They should be fairly cheap now since they have gone to the digital camo.
Jason Lester

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Had some Browning gore-tex rain gear that worked well.  I went on a diet and it got too big for me so I sold it.  Have since picked up Rivers West rain gear.  Haven't put it through the paces yet.  Used it to pack out part of an elk in the raina week or so ago.  Did build up some heat inside, but I think anything would under those conditions.  Luckily, I had a fairly short pack.  It's very comfortable, does seem to be quiet, and it certainly didn't leave any water in.  Looking forward to giving it more rigorous tests.

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
Redhead Squalltex Pants. $60 I think, Not silent, but very close, and completly waterproof. Just don't wear them on a very hot day, they don't breathe out so well, but I guess thats the price you pay to be dry.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Couldn't think of it last night, but the Army pants are labeled "Trousers, Cold Weather Camoflage".  May be called ECW (extreme cold weather) by some people when selling on that auction site.  
They are NOT insulated, they are meant to be worn over your regular pants.  They are oversize to fit over, and have slits way up the pants legs and big zippers.  Pockets go all the way through so you can reach your regular pockets.
They are waterproof (so far), and windproof.  They have GORE TEX labeled inside.
While fine for sitting, they are noisy when walking.  Think I paid about 30 bucks for mine and have enjoyed them in bad weather.
Dan

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
I know duck hunters swear by the Rivers West stuff. Of course, some of the duck hunters I know have nice heated blinds where they cook breakfast after the morning flight.  :coffee:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Wow some of you guys were spoiled...gore-tex military pants??  All I had was a nasty old poncho...LOL!!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I will look some of them up, and we also have a new Dicks by me that opened up last year.  Guess I'll have to take a look around, and peak at the old auction site as well.

Take Care,
Marc

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I spent several winters creek boating here on the Olympic peninsula, gore-tex is initially waterproof depending on the quality of the seam sealing when manufactured. Even the best gore-tex garments (which aren't quiet) depend on a dwr (durable water repellent) finish on the outer material to keep the water beading and rolling off, if it gets wetted out the gore-tex no longer breathes and you are miserable. It takes regular maintenance with a product like nik-wax to keep them working well. For myself if I'm not moving much I use good quality raingear or the poncho you mentioned and if I am on the move it's a sil-nylon poncho and clothing that will be warm wet and dry fast once it quits. (Goretex garments can be made quiet but that makes the outer layer much more prone to wetting out)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©