3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice  (Read 709 times)

Offline 4D

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
I am starting my 3rd year , shoot instinctive recurve and love this sport . Still not sure how much and how long one should practice, can you over do it ? Curious how many days a week and hours a day shooters like Terry Green and others of that caliber shoot to stay on top of their game , and thier routine ? Thanks .

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
When its warm out I shoot everyday....at least 5-6 good arrows if nothing else. But now that hunting seasons r coming to a close and its freezing cold out I proly only shoot a couple times a week.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Each session shoot until you get good then stop.  Stopping while you're shooting good will really increase your confidence and if you continue to shoot after that point you're shooting will degrade and you'll develop bad habits.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I used to shoot 50 to 100 arrows a day. Once I got my muscle memory and brain functions just right I reduced that to a dozen or so good shots a day. If I start screwing up, I put the bow down and come back later.
 During hunting season I shoot one arrow a day, either in the morning or evening, sometimes both but only one arrow each time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I shoot nearly every day. Some days it is 50 arrows, some days 200.

And yes, you can overdo it! If you find yourself getting tired and sloppy, it is time to rest a while or put it up for the day.

Perfect practice is what you are after. Practicing bad form only instill bad form!

Bisch

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
X2 on what Bisch said... I shoot long enough to get the warm fuzzy of nearly all shots where i want them..... no matter how many arrows. It might be as few as half dozen or 6 dozen! Always leave on a good shot. As soon as it quits being fun... you went too long!

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
^---------what they said.  Confidence is such a huge part of this type of shooting/ hunting.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Once you have your form down, and you can problem solve your bad shots and or form, it's quality not quantity that I look for. As said above,never keep shooting or even start shooting if your tired, always try and end the shooting session on a positive note.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Some days I will shoot a couple hundred arrows.  Other days I may just shoot 5-6 if everything is just clicking, especially during the hunting season. Always try to end on a high note.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
I try to shoot everyday. One arrows @ a time is the best way to practice imo. Usually dont get to shoot groups @ animals I figure why practice that way?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I'll always remember the story Ken Beck of Black Widow Bows told us in a class one day.  "Some people think a disadvantage of traditional archery is that you have to shoot a lot of arrows just about every day to get any good at it.  Other people think an advantage of traditional archery is that you get to shoot a lot of arrows just about every day to get any good at it."  (I'm not sure that's exactly what he said, but it's the best I can remember).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Typically loose aprroximately 75 to 100 arrows per day.

Can't say that my competence level is even remotely elevated, however the enjoyment incurred is highly elevated.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
I love shooting my bows and I try to shoot a few every day.  I shoot outside when I can, but I can shoot 7 yards in the garage to work on form.  Even 10 - 20 shots with good form and concentration can help keep you shooting well.

On some nice days, when I have the time, I may shoot 40-60 arrows.  I strive for each shot to be quality.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I have fun shooting my bows and like anything fun I try to do it as much as my schedule allows.  I don't put an X value on the amount of practice required to get a Y amount of skill.  I shoot to have fun and the ability to shoot well comes as an intended byproduct.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Practice? You're talking about practice? Sorry, had to do that.

I try and shoot everyday, 1 arrow at a time. I try to make every shot different ( angle, distance, scenario ).  With every shot I try to imagine the vitals on some type of critter. Some days I can shoot 100's of arrows, some days I can only shoot 10, just depends on how sore the shoulder is and how well I am focused. When I get tired I stop, just to prevent bad form from becoming a habit.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Wow never thought Id see Allen iverson quoted on this forum lol love it. I'm a newb to traditional archery, but have bow hunted all my life, also hunt with a rifle and a shotgun at times. I love shooting, my bows, my guns, I just love to shoot. Archery is great because I practice in my yard. I shoot about every other day, sometimes 10 arrows sometimes 50. My one bit of advice I'll give is that you should treat your first shot as the most important of the session. When hunting we may get one shot in an entire season, do whatever it takes to learn to make your first shot a good one.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
Agree with all, shoot until I feel good then put her down, all depends.

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
I have a little three target course set up I try to shoot ever day. Different angles and yardage its fun. With a little one on the way I bet my everyday shooting will slow down a touch but that's ok
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Sometimes I will step out the back door, and if my First Shot Whacks the 3D Teddy Bear I use, I turn around and go back inside. I figure Ya Cant Improve on a First Shot like that! Especially when its cold outside!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I post this just to help you think about what is possible...I had a very interesting chat with a gentleman who spent some time in Korea training with their Olympic shooters...the men practice 8 hours a day with bows that draw about 55 pounds

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©